I get dropped by old dudes wearing hi-vis vests and campy dayglo bodysuits

6392 posts / 0 new
Last post
Captain Gnarlock
Captain Gnarlock's picture

If I ever come into a ridonkulous amount of money, I'm totally having an Ebisu built.

Thu, 01/08/2009 - 15:01
Matthew Trujillo

(|) wrote:
wsn't that peugeot in some video with some dork doing alot of mentally handicapped and lame skidz?

it was in a vid of me ridin mah rollerz

Thu, 01/08/2009 - 16:04
halbritt
halbritt's picture

Elderberry wrote:
halbritt wrote:
Why not? We have a whole other thread for "classy" bikes.

I forgot which thread I was looking at... let the carbon flow, I guess.

I think it's kinda neat for what it is. I love classy, retro, rando bikes. But if one is seriously going to ride 1200km in 90 hours, then who wants extra weight. So, in the vein of pure functionality carbon would be appropriate on a modern-ish audax bike.

...shift like jesus making one set of footprints in the sand in your time of need

Thu, 01/08/2009 - 16:12
mander
mander's picture

I think I prefer somewhat beat up, gaff taped rando bikes with a dog's breakfast mix of old and new components (llike Emily O'Brien's) to the retro-classy bikes. I like the beauty of a very functional object that gets used hard.

Thu, 01/08/2009 - 17:04
y
y's picture

halbritt wrote:
Elderberry wrote:
Carbon shouldn't be allowed in this thread.

Why not? We have a whole other thread for "classy" bikes. Please to be sucking on this:

Low spoke count wheel have no place in the rando thread.

mander wrote:
I think I prefer somewhat beat up, gaff taped rando bikes with a dog's breakfast mix of old and new components (llike Emily O'Brien's) to the retro-classy bikes. I like the beauty of a very functional object that gets used hard.

Yes.

Thu, 01/08/2009 - 17:14
halbritt
halbritt's picture

jacques wrote:
Low spoke count wheel have no place in the rando thread.

This we can agree on. Those wheels are jackass on that bike.

...shift like jesus making one set of footprints in the sand in your time of need

Thu, 01/08/2009 - 17:25
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture

mander wrote:
I think I prefer somewhat beat up, gaff taped rando bikes with a dog's breakfast mix of old and new components (llike Emily O'Brien's) to the retro-classy bikes. I like the beauty of a very functional object that gets used hard.

Yes.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Thu, 01/08/2009 - 19:06
conor
conor's picture

another pbp fixed gear.

(one of my all-time favorites.)

Thu, 01/08/2009 - 20:00
Whippin Skidz
Whippin Skidz's picture

I'm gonna build a rando-style bike next, maybe fixed. I've wanted to for some time now, but I think I may have a frame lined up that will work for it.

Thu, 01/08/2009 - 20:58
mander
mander's picture

conor wrote:

another pbp fixed gear.

(one of my all-time favorites.)

What a beautiful bike. Do you have a link to the flickr page? I can't figure out how to extract it from the image url.

Thu, 01/08/2009 - 21:36
y
y's picture

PBP fixee above looks awesome. Anyone know what it is?

So I'm thinking of building a rando/touring frame. Here's what I've got so far:
-1" threadless
-cantilevers
-long horizontal dropouts
-50/36 chainrings
-13-30 cassette
-front rack
-dt shifter bosses so I'm not stuck with brifters
- clearance for 30's and fenders
-36h wheels (maybe a dynamo?)
-my name on the downtube

Not sure which group to run, maybe Veloce or Rival. Also not sure if I want to install s&s couplers since this'll be the first frame I build and I don't want to waste almost 300$ worth of couplers. Your input is welcome.

Thu, 01/08/2009 - 21:41
conor
conor's picture

i don't have the flickr, but the bike's a kirk. it's owned by some dude from new york.

lemme try to find the write-up.

edit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lazzarello ... 666679278/

this isn't where i got the photo, but this link was posted in the pbp thread about another fixed pbp effort.

Thu, 01/08/2009 - 21:53
cookietruck
cookietruck's picture

it's a kirk.
all the dudes on the serotta forums are all about him.
that bike is badass but the chain tension is killing me.
http://www.kirkframeworks.com/

Thu, 01/08/2009 - 21:53
Whippin Skidz
Whippin Skidz's picture

couplers seem like a waste unless you'll get your money's worth out of them in a year (to me). and that's a lot of flying around with your bike.

Thu, 01/08/2009 - 22:03
TimArchyLime
TimArchyLime's picture

halbritt wrote:
jacques wrote:
Low spoke count wheel have no place in the rando thread.

This we can agree on. Those wheels are jackass on that bike.

Depends on if you rando for speed or just for endurance. I'd personally rather have 36 hole 3x, but there's not a whole lot wrong with some lower spoke count. You're not loading your bike with 30lb of gear. The only disadvantage would be lack of repairability and since we're accepting cf frames, I think we can take some more modern wheels. Though I will draw the line at any low spoke count wheels on a steel/non-modern frame. That's just dumb.

Snarky Varking wrote:
Tarckbike- Where mile 11 means you're on a long ride.

Thu, 01/08/2009 - 22:06
bigmatt

I got to see a Kirk cross bike at one of the local races. It had the bent seat and chainstays like the one above. It was beautiful in person. Once back home I looked up his site, great work but at a big cost.

It is ten pages long, but the show your touring bike thread on BF C&V has some very nice touring/rando type bikes.

Thu, 01/08/2009 - 22:10
barba

jacques wrote:
PBP fixee above looks awesome. Anyone know what it is?

So I'm thinking of building a rando/touring frame. Here's what I've got so far:
-1" threadless
-cantilevers
-long horizontal dropouts
-50/36 chainrings
-13-30 cassette
-front rack
-dt shifter bosses so I'm not stuck with brifters
- clearance for 30's and fenders
-36h wheels (maybe a dynamo?)
-my name on the downtube

Not sure which group to run, maybe Veloce or Rival. Also not sure if I want to install s&s couplers since this'll be the first frame I build and I don't want to waste almost 300$ worth of couplers. Your input is welcome.

Throw in a nice waxed canvas saddlebag and I would call it good. I would take silver Veloce. Where is the frame coming from?

Thu, 01/08/2009 - 22:11
TimArchyLime
TimArchyLime's picture

jacques wrote:
-my name on the downtube

Are we talking full name, middle initial, with a nickname? You need to be more specific. The weight of the paint can mean a difference of literally seconds over the course of a 400k event.

Snarky Varking wrote:
Tarckbike- Where mile 11 means you're on a long ride.

Thu, 01/08/2009 - 22:13
y
y's picture

jim wrote:
couplers seem like a waste unless you'll get your money's worth out of them in a year (to me). and that's a lot of flying around with your bike.

Air Canada charges $50 each way on domestic flights and $100 each way internationally, so assuming I'll visit my parents this summer and go to Japan that'll be $300 right there. I'm kind of leaning towards getting them since if the frame is really a fuck up I can always just take the couplers from it and use them again.

Thu, 01/08/2009 - 22:20
y
y's picture

bigmatt wrote:
I got to see a Kirk cross bike at one of the local races. It had the bent seat and chainstays like the one above. It was beautiful in person. Once back home I looked up his site, great work but at a big cost.

It is ten pages long, but the show your touring bike thread on BF C&V has some very nice touring/rando type bikes.

Yeah, I just checked out his website. Frames with that option start at $3200! Will check out that thread.

barba wrote:
Throw in a nice waxed canvas saddlebag and I would call it good. I would take silver Veloce. Where is the frame coming from?

I'm building it myself.

TimArchy wrote:
Are we talking full name, middle initial, with a nickname? You need to be more specific. The weight of the paint can mean a difference of literally seconds over the course of a 400k event.

"jacques"

Thu, 01/08/2009 - 22:24
Sneaky Viking
Sneaky Viking's picture

I wouldn't do S&S on your first build jacques. Everything I've read says your second is gonna be like 10 times better. If anything I'd do a ghetto coupling system like this:

Quote:
The seatpost holds the upper section together. Loosen the two binders and pull the seatpost out and the sections separate. Similar to the Ritchey and Dahon system.
The lower joint has another binder. The BB tube has a stub that fits into the downtube. The stub is a piece of seatpost that is lathe turned to the correct slip-fit and JB-Welded into the lower tube. Alternatively, you could silver braze a steel stub in the same place, but I have enough confidence in J-B Weld that this won't come apart unless I want it to(with a torch).

When I coped the downtube I left as much of the thick butt as possible around this joint.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerryw62/
Check out his other photos.

I want some paragon sliding dropouts on my dream build, but they're too expensive to throw them on my first frame.

ckd wrote:
I mean, seriously. We're just a bunch of washed up bicycle burnout dipshits.

Thu, 01/08/2009 - 23:23
biek

you know, if i could have one semi-modern audax bike that fits me very very well, i'd get rid of all my other bikes in a heart beat.
something nice, not gaudy but leaning towards the functional side of things.
i'd probably have 2 drivetrains also, so i could run it fixed as well.
wow. i'm wet just thinking about it.

pappaheugwang wrote:
u mad bro?

Thu, 01/08/2009 - 23:29
bward1028

jim wrote:
couplers seem like a waste unless you'll get your money's worth out of them in a year (to me). and that's a lot of flying around with your bike.

it's one add on that never loses it's resale value though. also, you have to think about the cost of a hard case and all that jazz.

Thu, 01/08/2009 - 23:41
Elderbear
Elderbear's picture

EDIT: didn't read the fourth page before I asked what make the kickass fixed rando bike was... it's a Kirk.

Bike and rider sharing a moment.

johnnyraja wrote:
This is the most pointless conversation ever had on a forum entirely devoted to pointless conversation.

Fri, 01/09/2009 - 02:22
halbritt
halbritt's picture

TimArchy wrote:
halbritt wrote:
jacques wrote:
Low spoke count wheel have no place in the rando thread.

This we can agree on. Those wheels are jackass on that bike.

Depends on if you rando for speed or just for endurance. I'd personally rather have 36 hole 3x, but there's not a whole lot wrong with some lower spoke count. You're not loading your bike with 30lb of gear. The only disadvantage would be lack of repairability and since we're accepting cf frames, I think we can take some more modern wheels. Though I will draw the line at any low spoke count wheels on a steel/non-modern frame. That's just dumb.

I'm thinking standard 32h/32h OP on DA type wheels which are lighter than a lot of "lightweight" wheelsets in any case. This would be for a light rando bike for brevets and whatnot.

Jacques, if you're going to go to the expense of building a frame, you'll probably want to build several. I wouldn't build anything I really cared about for the first frame. Also, I don't think horizontal dropouts would be a great idea for a rando bike. I'm thinking that changing flats with fenders would be more difficult.

...shift like jesus making one set of footprints in the sand in your time of need

Fri, 01/09/2009 - 03:48
biek

horizontal dropouts != track ends!

genetic difference here!

and, wtf is up with those sleeves that guy has?

pappaheugwang wrote:
u mad bro?

Fri, 01/09/2009 - 22:18
jamey
jamey's picture

if he's anything like any of my friends that started getting tattooed at an early age...he's gone for the blackout cover up.

truckdoug "never turn down free beer, dont stick your dick where you wouldnt put your face, and always ride shimano"

Fri, 01/09/2009 - 23:47
cookietruck
cookietruck's picture

so i e-stalk jp weigle and a few other guys via flickr.
check this fork jp just made for an old frame, the rack is nice.
made it with more rake so that it can handle a load in the front. frame and fork is about to be for sale but seat tube is too short by about 2cm.

chekc this pic out from witcomb in '78. check out the car radio in the background hooked up to that speaker. lol.

Sat, 01/10/2009 - 12:16
lofarkas
lofarkas's picture

That is a manly vise right there.

Sat, 01/10/2009 - 12:21
y
y's picture

biekridder wrote:
horizontal dropouts != track ends!

genetic difference here!

Not sure what you mean here.

Sat, 01/10/2009 - 12:30
biek

uh, just that track ends and horizontal dropouts are two different things, which halbritt seems to be confused on.

pappaheugwang wrote:
u mad bro?

Sat, 01/10/2009 - 12:33
y
y's picture

I was wondering why he thought I'd have trouble removing a wheel with horizontal dropouts. Makes sense now.

Sat, 01/10/2009 - 12:36
jordan
jordan's picture

noobish question: what are those second bars hanging from the top tube and sometimes seat tube?

Sat, 01/10/2009 - 13:09
y
y's picture

Those are pumps painted to match the frame.

Sat, 01/10/2009 - 13:20
mander
mander's picture

Rene Herse

Sat, 01/10/2009 - 13:37
cookietruck
cookietruck's picture

check hte mercian path racer.

check the herse touring bike...i didn't post this already did i?

Sat, 01/10/2009 - 13:55
biek

herse is back: http://www.renehersebicycles.com/

and ugh, i fucking hate ornate/gaudy/overdone british bikes- them curvy stayed hetchins are liek the epitome of my hate.

pappaheugwang wrote:
u mad bro?

Sat, 01/10/2009 - 14:00
Captain Gnarlock
Captain Gnarlock's picture

biekridder wrote:
uh, just that track ends and horizontal dropouts are two different things, which halbritt seems to be confused on.

i don't think he's confused at all. i suspect he's saying that a vertical dropout would make wheel removal easier on a full-fendered bike.

H, correct me if i'm wrong.

Sat, 01/10/2009 - 14:01
asterisk
asterisk's picture

I'm torn on converting my Crosscheck to 9-speed. My regular commute doesn't need anything more than fixed/ss but it'd be nice for longer rides outside the valley and pulling a trailer.

All randonneur bikes need dyno hubs though, best invention ever. I love not worrying about batteries.

Sat, 01/10/2009 - 14:06
biek

kowloon wrote:
biekridder wrote:
uh, just that track ends and horizontal dropouts are two different things, which halbritt seems to be confused on.

i don't think he's confused at all. i suspect he's saying that a vertical dropout would make wheel removal easier on a full-fendered bike.

H, correct me if i'm wrong.

uh, there is really no difference in ease of removal from a vertical drop out bike as to a horizontal dropout bike.
the way the horizontal dropouts are angled, there are no fender interference or brake adjustment relative to axle position issues. that's why horizontal dropouts rock, especially for single gear applications.
also, you can fine tune the wheelbase depending on if you have a load or not. (loads ride better with a longer wheelbase, unloaded rides better with a shorter wheelbase)

but we may be going in circles here.

pappaheugwang wrote:
u mad bro?

Sat, 01/10/2009 - 14:32
conor
conor's picture

i realize it's a touring bike, but come on. it's gorgeous and close enough.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/posd7.html

Sat, 01/10/2009 - 15:09
asterisk
asterisk's picture

Too bad it only comes in three sizes, all of them super small.

Sat, 01/10/2009 - 15:12
edw
edw's picture

biekridder wrote:
kowloon wrote:
biekridder wrote:
uh, just that track ends and horizontal dropouts are two different things, which halbritt seems to be confused on.

i don't think he's confused at all. i suspect he's saying that a vertical dropout would make wheel removal easier on a full-fendered bike.

H, correct me if i'm wrong.

uh, there is really no difference in ease of removal from a vertical drop out bike as to a horizontal dropout bike.
the way the horizontal dropouts are angled, there are no fender interference or brake adjustment relative to axle position issues. that's why horizontal dropouts rock, especially for single gear applications.
also, you can fine tune the wheelbase depending on if you have a load or not. (loads ride better with a longer wheelbase, unloaded rides better with a shorter wheelbase)

but we may be going in circles here.

edw wrote:
Horizontal Dropout

Track end

Sat, 01/10/2009 - 15:14
mander
mander's picture

If i may add to the stack:

biekridder wrote:
kowloon wrote:
biekridder wrote:
uh, just that track ends and horizontal dropouts are two different things, which halbritt seems to be confused on.

i don't think he's confused at all. i suspect he's saying that a vertical dropout would make wheel removal easier on a full-fendered bike.

H, correct me if i'm wrong.

uh, there is really no difference in ease of removal from a vertical drop out bike as to a horizontal dropout bike.
the way the horizontal dropouts are angled, there are no fender interference or brake adjustment relative to axle position issues. that's why horizontal dropouts rock, especially for single gear applications.
also, you can fine tune the wheelbase depending on if you have a load or not. (loads ride better with a longer wheelbase, unloaded rides better with a shorter wheelbase)

but we may be going in circles here.

It's easiest to set up fenders on a bike with vertical dropouts, because you don't have to worry about allowing for wheel removal clearance forward of the wheel. You can make a perfect fender line with no compromises.

Sat, 01/10/2009 - 15:26
halbritt
halbritt's picture

kowloon wrote:
biekridder wrote:
uh, just that track ends and horizontal dropouts are two different things, which halbritt seems to be confused on.

i don't think he's confused at all. i suspect he's saying that a vertical dropout would make wheel removal easier on a full-fendered bike.

H, correct me if i'm wrong.

That is correct.

...shift like jesus making one set of footprints in the sand in your time of need

Sat, 01/10/2009 - 16:11
bigmatt

If you like these type of bikes you would really like The Golden Age of Handbuilt Bicycles. It is a lot of the Rando/camping/touring type bikes most set up with full fenders, generators, lights, racks, etc. The bikes featured that aren't of that variety are tandems or porteur style bikes. Most of them are pre-60's bikes.

And also anyone see this end on Ebay: Alex Singer that ended for $3550!

Sat, 01/10/2009 - 17:46
bigmatt

Was just browsing Rivendell's site and found a new model they have coming out, the Sam Hillborne. Looks like a good somewhat lower cost alternative to a custom made rando bike or finding an old Alex Singer or Rene Hearse in your size. Info says $1000 frame,fork, headset, BB, and seatpost and around $2000 built. Clicky

And Sturmey Archer/Sun Race needs to hurry TFU and get the S3X fixed hubs out. I have a three speed rando fixed build in mind. Racks, fenders, fat tires, generator hub/light, canti brakes f/r, and of course a Brooks saddle. I haven't found a frame yet, but have one that might work in mind.

Sun, 01/11/2009 - 19:18
Elderbear
Elderbear's picture

I really like what Rivendell does, but their stuff is damned spendy.

johnnyraja wrote:
This is the most pointless conversation ever had on a forum entirely devoted to pointless conversation.

Sun, 01/11/2009 - 19:30
Captain Gnarlock
Captain Gnarlock's picture

bigmatt wrote:
And Sturmey Archer/Sun Race needs to hurry TFU and get the S3X fixed hubs out.

for the love of fuck, THIS.

Sun, 01/11/2009 - 19:31
allencb

I had rando/audax in mind when I built this bike:

It's a Surly LHT with a mix of Dura Ace and Ultegra. It isn't light at 25lbs, but it's comfy for all day riding. The longest ride I've done on it was a Century. If I can get into shape, I'm going to try for a 200 mile ride this July (total200.com).

Chris

Sun, 01/11/2009 - 20:05

Pages