AB's "Not Sure" & "Average" & "huh?" thread

12913 posts / 0 new
Last post
schultzor
schultzor's picture

Bicycle speed to the maximum flywheel, may rub onto the wheel.

Wed, 06/21/2017 - 10:58
fixed
fixed's picture

trademark is just waiting for me to upload all those photos and then we should get approved.

i can't believe those assholes actually put the TM on there. one of them must be paying some attention here.

Thu, 06/22/2017 - 14:52
emor
emor's picture

I saw this peacock groove nawbbes bikeat the local coop yesterday:

Cool to see a show bike being used with damaged paint. But I also wanted to throw up on it. But it might also be a legit tinybike? Also, those tires should be illegal to sell in this day and age.

"my main life goal is to have a dirtbag camper van with a bunch of bikes on it, go camping every vacation forever" -- me

Wed, 06/28/2017 - 23:09
Face
Face's picture

something about a nabz bike with $15 in tires on it and locked like that.

Mr. Pubes wrote:
i fear that you are so lost in your own asshole that you may never be found again. do you have a flare gun? send for help.

Wed, 06/28/2017 - 23:24
ckd
ckd's picture

There's another swoopy NABZZ bike on Portland CL right now if you're into that sort of thing.

https://portland.craigslist.org/yam/bik/6191427321.html

-is a sandwich
-is a REAL doctor

Wed, 06/28/2017 - 23:41
lofarkas
lofarkas's picture

God those two frames are both heinous. They got the proportions all wrong.

Thu, 06/29/2017 - 03:08
crabbi
crabbi's picture

t-rex wants to ride bikes too

Sneaky Viking wrote:
if you're here, you probably fucked up somewhere along the line.

Thu, 06/29/2017 - 09:21
drwelby
drwelby's picture

Winner of the Foplympics, beating out the Heigle Dream Team.

Mon, 07/03/2017 - 23:16
johnasavoia
johnasavoia's picture

So fenders that don't wrap around the tire whatsoever don't actually do anything, right? Like I cannot imagine they're in any way useful.

Tue, 07/04/2017 - 09:07
heavymetal
heavymetal's picture

I guess they act as a diffuser. Gonna stop the skunk stripe up your back, but spray it indirectly everywhere else.

Tue, 07/04/2017 - 19:56
DaFROG
DaFROG's picture

english just posted a bike with strip fenders on the 'gram, loosing respect

We have assembled an international voltron of geometry, marketing and metallurgy experts working around the clock and have determined that your bike sucks

Wed, 07/05/2017 - 02:34
Face
Face's picture

They're the backwards baseball hat of fenders.

Mr. Pubes wrote:
i fear that you are so lost in your own asshole that you may never be found again. do you have a flare gun? send for help.

Wed, 07/05/2017 - 09:23
dorth
dorth's picture
Thu, 07/06/2017 - 13:14
heavymetal
heavymetal's picture

Oh wow, hadn't seen that one. Very nice indeed, would ride, A+.

Thu, 07/06/2017 - 16:40
dorth
dorth's picture

Teh robo shifters and crabon fenders really do it for me

Sat, 07/08/2017 - 14:06
jimmythefly
jimmythefly's picture

There was a time not 2 years ago that this would have fulfilled most every "one bike to rule them all" fantasy I've ever had. Still pretty damn sweet, I'd change some things from this guy's build but not bad overall.

deadforkinglast wrote:
But honestly, I have no idea how I am going to follow through on that plan and I already have a pretty rad bike. I think I just like fucking with my bikes.

Sat, 07/08/2017 - 17:32
emor
emor's picture

Yeah, I'd ride it if:

- non-turdly butts
- threadless
- didn't have that awful nitto rack
- modern brake levers
- it had actual DT shifter
- had a less concerning chainstay dimple
- it had a better nerd crank

"my main life goal is to have a dirtbag camper van with a bunch of bikes on it, go camping every vacation forever" -- me

Sat, 07/08/2017 - 18:16
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

What's the problem with the chainstay dimple

"Folks want options!"

Sat, 07/08/2017 - 22:28
iwillbe
iwillbe's picture

I'm not at all a fan of re-enactment styling on bikes. I'm not even going to nitpick that Crust, I'm sure there are many things both to like and dislike about it. This is something that Endpoint, more than anyone else working in this space, has gotten right.

Sat, 07/08/2017 - 23:32
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture

The truth is that non-aero levers work like magic with mechanical discs, especially if you're running regular (non-compressionless) housing.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Sat, 07/08/2017 - 23:35
eric_ssucks
eric_ssucks's picture

Whoever built that crust reads Jan Heine and LB for bike tips. The overall is ok, but the details are like trying to play free jazz over pop music: it just doesn't work.

Sat, 07/08/2017 - 23:37
iwillbe
iwillbe's picture
(Reply to #12522)

Wintage Townie wrote:
The truth is that non-aero levers work like magic with mechanical discs, especially if you're running regular (non-compressionless) housing.

how come?

Sat, 07/08/2017 - 23:53
kmcdon
kmcdon's picture
(Reply to #12523)

iwillbe wrote:
Wintage Townie wrote:
The truth is that non-aero levers work like magic with mechanical discs, especially if you're running regular (non-compressionless) housing.

how come?

Also interested in this. I've always found non-aero levers to be the worst at everything. Haven't ever tried them with discs.

In any case, it is inexcusable for that one brake cable to be routed in front of the bars. smiley :sadgrant:

Sun, 07/09/2017 - 02:17
Face
Face's picture
(Reply to #12524)

iwillbe wrote:
Wintage Townie wrote:
The truth is that non-aero levers work like magic with mechanical discs, especially if you're running regular (non-compressionless) housing.

how come?

No tight bends going along the bars, and your knit back fingerless gloves give you more of something or whatever.

Mr. Pubes wrote:
i fear that you are so lost in your own asshole that you may never be found again. do you have a flare gun? send for help.

Sun, 07/09/2017 - 11:26
emor
emor's picture
(Reply to #12525)

NOVELTYNAME wrote:
What's the problem with the chainstay dimple

It's a high stress part of the frame. I'd be worried it would break under a fat guy who abuses bikes like me. It's probably not a problem in practice -- my rawland broke because of bad bridge welding most likely.

Also, don't non-aero levers have a different MA than aero? Is that why they're better at mechdix?

"my main life goal is to have a dirtbag camper van with a bunch of bikes on it, go camping every vacation forever" -- me

Sun, 07/09/2017 - 11:57
mdilthey
mdilthey's picture

There's an old Litespeed 26er in the shop with a busted drive-side chainstay. Cracked right on the dimple for the chainring clearance. The shop owner, Parker, says that a lot of titanium frames from the 90's broke in exactly the same place, right on the dimple.

26/M/41t N/W

Sun, 07/09/2017 - 15:07
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture

Same thing is true with titanium frames from the 00s and the 10s.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Sun, 07/09/2017 - 16:32
mdilthey
mdilthey's picture

I know it's probably frame-dependent and all, but generally speaking, is a titanium frame less durable than steel given the cracking issue?

26/M/41t N/W

Sun, 07/09/2017 - 18:56
chenghiz
chenghiz's picture

Between that issue and cracking at the welds (I assume to the difficulty of welding Ti), they don't seem to have a great rep for durability.

Sun, 07/09/2017 - 20:05
yonderboy
yonderboy's picture

In the BrianForums days, I made a comment about Ti not being very durable for mountain bikes that I've seen, only to receive a material sciences smack down. It might be something that works out on paper, but practice proves otherwise.

I don't think many frame builders are into root cause analysis of failures, however.

Mon, 07/10/2017 - 12:22
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture

Yeah, it always works on paper, but in practice...

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Mon, 07/10/2017 - 13:04
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture

the whole Litespeed / ABG / Lynskey hillbilly titanium lineage is riddled with cracks

significantly lower quality than the cheap "chi ti" stuff sold by bikesdirect!

for all those turn-of-the-century "last bike I'll ever buy" frames, if it was actually ridden and also not replaced by a Cervelo after a few years, it cracked

Titanium is also a horrible material to make chainstays out of, especially if you want tire clearance

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Mon, 07/10/2017 - 15:30
oogens
oogens's picture

had a lynskey i bought secondhand with a diamond shaped top tube. cracked along the crease on both sides of the top tube along the full length of the tube.

worked at a casual lynskey dealer (nothing stocked, but could special order stuff). Sent them pics of the damage and how it happened basically sitting in my garage (didn't ride it much, felt the crack when I was rolling it out for a ride. pic taken during the previous time I rode it showed no cracks). Was basically told to get fucked (offered a repair or a crash replacement, both would have cost about the same as wholesale on a new frame).

fukka lynskey

Mon, 07/10/2017 - 16:24
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture

Repairs take comically long, too. Imagine selling a customer his or her dream bike, it breaks within a year, and it takes Lynskey 10 months to fix it. In the meantime, all they offer is a few frame at a crash replacement cost.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Mon, 07/10/2017 - 16:51
mdilthey
mdilthey's picture

I definitely drank the "TI is indestructible" kool-aid.

I just bought my first aluminum bike, so I am doing an okay job of shedding my baggage, but jeez - I did not suspect titanium's longevity to be so poor.

26/M/41t N/W

Mon, 07/10/2017 - 17:34
cousinmosquito
cousinmosquito's picture
(Reply to #12536)

jimmythefly wrote:

There was a time not 2 years ago that this would have fulfilled most every "one bike to rule them all" fantasy I've ever had. Still pretty damn sweet, I'd change some things from this guy's build but not bad overall.

That looks damn sweet to me. But the Singular Peregrine beat it to the market by about 5 years. Wrong timing I guess.

Mon, 07/10/2017 - 18:13
Face
Face's picture
(Reply to #12537)

oogens wrote:
had a lynskey i bought secondhand with a diamond shaped top tube. cracked along the crease on both sides of the top tube along the full length of the tube.

worked at a casual lynskey dealer (nothing stocked, but could special order stuff). Sent them pics of the damage and how it happened basically sitting in my garage (didn't ride it much, felt the crack when I was rolling it out for a ride. pic taken during the previous time I rode it showed no cracks). Was basically told to get fucked (offered a repair or a crash replacement, both would have cost about the same as wholesale on a new frame).

fukka lynskey

Fairly standard practice for a broken second hand frame regardless of the material or cause of damage.

Mr. Pubes wrote:
i fear that you are so lost in your own asshole that you may never be found again. do you have a flare gun? send for help.

Mon, 07/10/2017 - 18:14
cousinmosquito
cousinmosquito's picture
(Reply to #12538)

mdilthey wrote:
There's an old Litespeed 26er in the shop with a busted drive-side chainstay. Cracked right on the dimple for the chainring clearance. The shop owner, Parker, says that a lot of titanium frames from the 90's broke in exactly the same place, right on the dimple.

My 93 Litespeed Ocoee has had the kind of thrashing that I wont even start to tell you about and it is still crack free. Every other Titanium ROAD bike, the guy I brought it off, owned, has shat itself. He has two hanging on the shed wall. I asked a local (NZ) frame builder what he would charge to fix them, and it was a crazy price. I think that from the early 90's on they just tried to make them too light. Mine is about 3.5 - 3.8 pounds I think. Not that light. Im gonna check to see if it has a dimple tho....

Mon, 07/10/2017 - 18:22
cousinmosquito
cousinmosquito's picture

How light can you make a steel frame?
One of my LBSes got one of these in last week. It was so light I stuck it on the scale. 1.5 kgs, around 3.5 pounds. I didn't think they could make steel bikes that light?
The seat stays were bloody narrow, but I have to say, the welding/brazing was a bit rough. Not sure the one he had had the integrated head-set style.

Mon, 07/10/2017 - 18:30
jimmythefly
jimmythefly's picture
(Reply to #12540)

cousinmosquito wrote:
jimmythefly wrote:

There was a time not 2 years ago that this would have fulfilled most every "one bike to rule them all" fantasy I've ever had. Still pretty damn sweet, I'd change some things from this guy's build but not bad overall.

That looks damn sweet to me. But the Singular Peregrine beat it to the market by about 5 years. Wrong timing I guess.

I wsa on the edge of buying a Singular Peregrine, but did not have a low-trail fork. But was threadless. But did have an eccentric BB.
Rawland dSogn was pretty cool, but not low trail, and with sloping TT, not lugged.

deadforkinglast wrote:
But honestly, I have no idea how I am going to follow through on that plan and I already have a pretty rad bike. I think I just like fucking with my bikes.

Mon, 07/10/2017 - 18:56
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture
(Reply to #12541)

cousinmosquito wrote:
How light can you make a steel frame?
One of my LBSes got one of these in last week. It was so light I stuck it on the scale. 1.5 kgs, around 3.5 pounds. I didn't think they could make steel bikes that light?
The seat stays were bloody narrow, but I have to say, the welding/brazing was a bit rough. Not sure the one he had had the integrated head-set style.

It's not uncommon for a smaller, high-end steel frame to weigh in the ~1500g territory. Crazy custom ones like English come in way less. Rodriguez here in Seattle claims to have made a sub-1000g steel frame.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Mon, 07/10/2017 - 19:52
cousinmosquito
cousinmosquito's picture
(Reply to #12542)

Wintage Townie wrote:
cousinmosquito wrote:
How light can you make a steel frame?
One of my LBSes got one of these in last week. It was so light I stuck it on the scale. 1.5 kgs, around 3.5 pounds. I didn't think they could make steel bikes that light?
The seat stays were bloody narrow, but I have to say, the welding/brazing was a bit rough. Not sure the one he had had the integrated head-set style.

It's not uncommon for a smaller, high-end steel frame to weigh in the ~1500g territory. Crazy custom ones like English come in way less. Rodriguez here in Seattle claims to have made a sub-1000g steel frame.

Impressive. I would like to see Rob English enter the re-enactment world champs with a dedicated bike. My buddy has a 900 gram Litespeed Ghisallo which he is too scared to ride.. right fully so.

Mon, 07/10/2017 - 20:04
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture
(Reply to #12543)

iwillbe wrote:
Wintage Townie wrote:
The truth is that non-aero levers work like magic with mechanical discs, especially if you're running regular (non-compressionless) housing.

how come?

they pull a lot more cable, with a lot more lever travel, and the simplest possible housing run

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Mon, 07/10/2017 - 22:08
iwillbe
iwillbe's picture
(Reply to #12544)

JUGE FREDD wrote:
iwillbe wrote:
Wintage Townie wrote:
The truth is that non-aero levers work like magic with mechanical discs, especially if you're running regular (non-compressionless) housing.

how come?

they pull a lot more cable, with a lot more lever travel, and the simplest possible housing run

Makes sense - I'd assumed that cable disc would be optimized for more modern brake levers, but I guess modulation is modulation. I don't think I've interacted with a non-aero lever in almost twenty years, hard to recall how the pull feels.

Tue, 07/11/2017 - 10:07
eric_ssucks
eric_ssucks's picture
(Reply to #12545)

cousinmosquito wrote:
How light can you make a steel frame?
One of my LBSes got one of these in last week. It was so light I stuck it on the scale. 1.5 kgs, around 3.5 pounds. I didn't think they could make steel bikes that light?
The seat stays were bloody narrow, but I have to say, the welding/brazing was a bit rough. Not sure the one he had had the integrated head-set style.

I have a Davidson custom road frame from the 80s in my closet: it has a steel fork, and the fork is one of the lightest forks I've seen, much less the bike itself. You can build a really light steel bike with good tubes and good design, but the thicker stuff is easier for production scale builders.

Tue, 07/11/2017 - 11:48
Shortpants
Shortpants's picture

My old roommate had a steel cross bike that was under UCI road weight limit. It was fucking crazy. Quite frankly it almost felt too light when you first rode it. Cornering was weird and especially dismounting/carrying the bike. You'd pick it up mid-stride and almost throw it 10 feet in the air expecting it to weigh much more.

Tue, 07/11/2017 - 12:40
Mr. Pubes
Mr. Pubes's picture

arent those dumb sweetwing cranks made of steel too? and i think theyre super lightweight because that weeniebutt on mtbr with the 13lb niner was using them.

Tue, 07/11/2017 - 14:00
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

Sweet wing cranks have been mentioned here like 3 times, for good reason, because they're garbage and nobody should use them unless you poop dollar bills

"Folks want options!"

Tue, 07/11/2017 - 15:53
cousinmosquito
cousinmosquito's picture
(Reply to #12549)

Straws wrote:
My old roommate had a steel cross bike that was under UCI road weight limit. It was fucking crazy. Quite frankly it almost felt too light when you first rode it. Cornering was weird and especially dismounting/carrying the bike. You'd pick it up mid-stride and almost throw it 10 feet in the air expecting it to weigh much more.

That's scary. A workmate came into my office yesterday, he'd just bought a new bike, nothing overly expensive, a Focus I think, but now he has to figure out have to make it a LEGAL weight! He is going to the World Grand Frodo champs or something.

Tue, 07/11/2017 - 18:13
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture

deep toroidal wheels

ultralight shallow racing rims are pretty pointless

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Tue, 07/11/2017 - 18:26

Pages