Jackass Turn Sandwich of the day

19715 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rusty Piton
Rusty Piton's picture

I have a NIB 36h 120mm freewheel only Phil hub in my basement.
Why?

emor wrote:
Bicycle commuting is the worst way to get anywhere except for all the other ways.

Sun, 09/24/2017 - 17:24
liquify
liquify's picture

siq skids in ur future?!

Sun, 09/24/2017 - 17:45
ckd
ckd's picture

Not if it's freewheel only.

-is a sandwich
-is a REAL doctor

Sun, 09/24/2017 - 18:00
Shortpants
Shortpants's picture
(Reply to #19654)

Rusty Piton wrote:
I have a NIB 36h 120mm freewheel only Phil hub in my basement.
Why?

because someone fucked up at their machine shop and you were stupid enough to buy it?

seriously I don't know why that was even made.

Mon, 09/25/2017 - 04:10
liquify
liquify's picture
(Reply to #19655)

ckd wrote:
Not if it's freewheel only.

Where is your 2008 jb weld imagination?

Mon, 09/25/2017 - 07:08
ergott
ergott's picture

I have a purple ano PW high flange rear with the 6 bolt cog config in 36h if someone wants to get rad. Never laced.

If someone on here did it, I'd probably like it. Since it was done by someone I don't know, they're a fucking idiot.

Mon, 09/25/2017 - 07:12
Viggen
Viggen's picture

I just sold a pair of Mack super light track hubs, fixed/fixed in 32h coz fukka 36h, unlaced and they have been sitting in a box since -07.. I did build up the other pair of Mack hubs I once bought, the ones with Italia-stripes into a tubular track wheel pair for actual track riding.
A truly beautiful piece of parts:

Whippin Skidz wrote:
This is tarck, there is a complicated solution to everything and we will endlessly discuss until an agreed upon solution has been tabled. This is out of your hands now.

Mon, 09/25/2017 - 07:22
Rusty Piton
Rusty Piton's picture
(Reply to #19658)

Shortpants wrote:
Rusty Piton wrote:
I have a NIB 36h 120mm freewheel only Phil hub in my basement.
Why?

because someone fucked up at their machine shop and you were stupid enough to buy it?

seriously I don't know why that was even made.

Seriously.
I bought it bitd to build a new wheel for my Traffic, but never got around to it before the frame rusted out.

emor wrote:
Bicycle commuting is the worst way to get anywhere except for all the other ways.

Mon, 09/25/2017 - 11:07
ckd
ckd's picture

I'm slowly remembering how we all wanted high flange hubs all of the time.

-is a sandwich
-is a REAL doctor

Mon, 09/25/2017 - 15:48
yonderboy
yonderboy's picture

I still have my Phil high flange, flip-flop track wheelset. I sold the DA HF tubular set, though.

Mon, 09/25/2017 - 15:52
aerobear
aerobear's picture

i still have the suzue promax disco hubs from my fixie days, just laced into mavic reflex tubulars and used on my track bike.

crowding wrote:
Every time i eat Dick's I just wind up disappointed that I'm not getting In-n-Out.

Mon, 09/25/2017 - 20:40
fixed
fixed's picture

the first wheels i ever built were suzue junior hubs. i think the bearings lasted like 200 miles. i also had no idea how to adjust a hub.

Mon, 09/25/2017 - 21:06
Blakey
Blakey's picture

first wheels I built back in 2005 were 36H (of course) high flange formula (but IRO branded of course, from Harris Cyclery, of course) fix/free hubs. Those wheels are still going strong >10Y later after being on 5+ bikes, respaced 120->126->135->130mm, and I sold them with a cool 753 frame that's still being ridden as is.

I still have a sweet set of wheels with 32H suntour sprint HF hubs that are so smooth, but they're gathering dust along with the track bike and the 28H HF record/tubular wheels.

Mon, 09/25/2017 - 21:25
ckd
ckd's picture
(Reply to #19664)

fixed wrote:
the first wheels i ever built were suzue junior hubs. i think the bearings lasted like 200 miles. i also had no idea how to adjust a hub.

I had some Suzue Jr hubs too, and hoo boy were they hot garbage. I had to rebuild them all of the time.

I'm pretty sure Formula hubs didn't exist when I got my first sweet fixie wheelset.

-is a sandwich
-is a REAL doctor

Mon, 09/25/2017 - 21:39
TimArchyLime
TimArchyLime's picture

I was soooo proud of my hf phil wood double fixed 36h rear laced to a non-machined back deep v. It was like 5lb of solid beef that I credit with saving my life when I got hit by the truck.

Snarky Varking wrote:
Tarckbike- Where mile 11 means you're on a long ride.

Mon, 09/25/2017 - 22:14
Viggen
Viggen's picture

Blakey: If you dropped that thing about the Suntour superb hubs a couple of years back I'd be all over them..

The dream is alive:

Whippin Skidz wrote:
This is tarck, there is a complicated solution to everything and we will endlessly discuss until an agreed upon solution has been tabled. This is out of your hands now.

Tue, 09/26/2017 - 04:43
Blakey
Blakey's picture

I even had a second set of HF Sprint hubs for some reason! 36H tho. Sold them before I moved, kept the 32H mavic open cd4/sprint set. IMHO just as good as Superbe, but with a nicer satin finish.

A friend had some Mack hubs, they seemed really nice. Another scored a set of 24H (!) HF Record laced with bladed spokes to some shallow vee polished clinchers for a song. They're on the most balleuring SS townie now.

My SS wheels now are WI ENO/nonENO on the landshark & comotion.

Tue, 09/26/2017 - 04:58
fixed
fixed's picture

why did we all think we needed 36h wheels?

Tue, 09/26/2017 - 08:14
TimArchyLime
TimArchyLime's picture

To be fair, we also all thought we could tell the difference in the flex of different cranks while riding clip and strap pedals in vans.

Snarky Varking wrote:
Tarckbike- Where mile 11 means you're on a long ride.

Tue, 09/26/2017 - 08:18
mdilthey
mdilthey's picture

I needed 36H wheels when I was running 23mm tires and slamming every pothole because I was terrible at riding bikes. I wrecked like... three wheels in three years.

Now I ride with more finesse and I have 38mm tires, so there's basically no reason to ever go back to that again.

Sometimes, I admit, I hold 8 spokes in my hand and think "Why wouldn't I?"

26/M/41t N/W

Tue, 09/26/2017 - 10:06
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture

Because NJS is 36?

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Tue, 09/26/2017 - 10:11
fixed
fixed's picture

oh yes i forgot about NJS

Tue, 09/26/2017 - 15:23
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture
(Reply to #19673)

fixed wrote:
why did we all think we needed 36h wheels?

velocity rims

they're the only manufacturer still making new products in high drillings, and the only one that needs to

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Tue, 09/26/2017 - 16:06
aek
aek's picture

My first fixed set, Velocity Aeroheads, were 32h and as far as I know, still round and true.

My DA/OPs (32h) I was so enamoured with continue their service as my snow wheels on my On-One Blowjob.

doofo wrote:
tarck eats ur soul one lol at a time

Tue, 09/26/2017 - 17:23
jamesacklin
jamesacklin's picture

Damn. 2006 was so fucking cool. Typewriter fonts and bird silhouettes everywhere

Sat, 09/30/2017 - 16:43
newellbt

Mon, 10/02/2017 - 10:46
cousinmosquito
cousinmosquito's picture
(Reply to #19677)

My Aeroheads were like putty. Very disappointing.

Mon, 10/02/2017 - 23:02
emor
emor's picture

Yeah I dented mine repeatedly, a feat I have not replicated on cr18s or DT Swiss rims.

"my main life goal is to have a dirtbag camper van with a bunch of bikes on it, go camping every vacation forever" -- me

Tue, 10/03/2017 - 20:06
circuithero
circuithero's picture
Sun, 10/15/2017 - 02:03
Endpoint
Endpoint's picture

Honestly, I don't have a problem with that. Drop bars aren't for everyone. If you're a hybrid rider and you have the means why not ride a nice hybrid. No more silly than a 10 bong dentist bike for riding laps in prospect park I guess.

Sun, 10/15/2017 - 08:21
TimArchyLime
TimArchyLime's picture

I'm just so confused. What was the frame even intended to be?

Snarky Varking wrote:
Tarckbike- Where mile 11 means you're on a long ride.

Sun, 10/15/2017 - 10:02
iwillbe
iwillbe's picture

http://granfondo-cycling.com/3t-exploro-vs-open-u-p-interview-gerard-vroomen/

Someone hired / funded the guy who made Cervelo into Cervelo to make dirt road bikes. They look exactly like what you'd expect from him.

Sun, 10/15/2017 - 11:02
Goddamnit Gunther
Goddamnit Gunther's picture

I think those 3Ts are sick as hell. I saw a guy riding one on the greenbelt the other day and that dude was fucking glowing. You could just tell by his face that he thought having and riding that bike was the best damn thing ever

Endpoint wrote:
turdly buttways

Sun, 10/15/2017 - 11:55
yonderboy
yonderboy's picture

Most expensive townie ever.

Sun, 10/15/2017 - 11:59
iwillbe
iwillbe's picture
(Reply to #19685)

Goddamnit Gunther wrote:
I think those 3Ts are sick as hell. I saw a guy riding one on the greenbelt the other day and that dude was fucking glowing. You could just tell by his face that he thought having and riding that bike was the best damn thing ever

I'm sure they're cool, I'm more curious about the Strada, the 1x fat tire(-ish) aero freakbike that Vroomen designed and that's getting raced in the 2018 pro season as a team bike.

From a design standpoint, I wand a Vroomen / Heine caliber bike obsessive to build an allroad bike that optimizes handling with bikepacking bags on. Maybe that's what the Exploro does, most of the press I read emphasized that it's aero, that it has some funky chainstays, and that it can fit fat tires. I don't know enough about frame geometry and weight distribution (fore-aft, higher-lower, inside frame-outside frame) to be able to see if there's a real challenge there.

Sun, 10/15/2017 - 12:10
mdilthey
mdilthey's picture

It looks like the same concept/pricepoint/execution as the Open UP, but the Open UP is gorgeous and the 3T is an abomination

26/M/41t N/W

Sun, 10/15/2017 - 12:19
johnasavoia
johnasavoia's picture

I got much love for a road/cross/gravel/whatever drop bar bike without drops. That particular one doesn't do much for me but I will never hate on the concept.

Sun, 10/15/2017 - 14:08
iwillbe
iwillbe's picture
(Reply to #19688)

mdilthey wrote:
It looks like the same concept/pricepoint/execution as the Open UP, but the Open UP is gorgeous and the 3T is an abomination

same designer, babe

Sun, 10/15/2017 - 14:17
chazzwazzer
chazzwazzer's picture
(Reply to #19689)

iwillbe wrote:
http://granfondo-cycling.com/3t-exploro-vs-open-u-p-interview-gerard-vroomen/

Someone hired / funded the guy who made Cervelo into Cervelo to make dirt road bikes. They look exactly like what you'd expect from him.

I only got a little ways through that interview. He goes on about the 3T being more aggressive when the geo sheets are virtually the same (5mm less stack? 0.1* steeper in one size?). Borderline Prolly talk, but hey, whatever speaks to the market I guess.

Sun, 10/15/2017 - 14:26
iwillbe
iwillbe's picture
(Reply to #19690)

chazzwazzer wrote:
iwillbe wrote:
http://granfondo-cycling.com/3t-exploro-vs-open-u-p-interview-gerard-vroomen/

Someone hired / funded the guy who made Cervelo into Cervelo to make dirt road bikes. They look exactly like what you'd expect from him.

I only got a little ways through that interview. He goes on about the 3T being more aggressive when the geo sheets are virtually the same (5mm less stack? 0.1* steeper in one size?). Borderline Prolly talk, but hey, whatever speaks to the market I guess.

Vroomen gonna vroom. I don't know the chronology of the Exploro or Strada (3T's other intercategory bike), but Open is Vroomen's post-Cervelo company. he strikes me as a Keith Bontrager type figure in the cycling industry: competent enough at the business side to always have a hand in something, but fundamentally more moved by bikes than business.
Here's the interview that made me like Bontrager: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_We42z1HpUg

Sun, 10/15/2017 - 14:43
mdilthey
mdilthey's picture
(Reply to #19691)

iwillbe wrote:
mdilthey wrote:
It looks like the same concept/pricepoint/execution as the Open UP, but the Open UP is gorgeous and the 3T is an abomination

same designer, babe

Huh! How about that

26/M/41t N/W

Sun, 10/15/2017 - 17:10
jamesacklin
jamesacklin's picture

Exploro wants some sweep on those bars, can't imagine they're too comfortable for all that chipseal chompin'

Mon, 10/16/2017 - 11:49
Rentable Faxmachine
Rentable Faxmachine's picture

I rode an Open One+ MTB and it was the definition of efficiency (and it should have been considering the price/spec). Light as hell, too. Zero fun, unfortunately.

Mon, 10/16/2017 - 14:09
iwillbe
iwillbe's picture
(Reply to #19694)

Rentable Faxmachine wrote:
I rode an Open One+ MTB and it was the definition of efficiency (and it should have been considering the price/spec). Light as hell, too. Zero fun, unfortunately.

I mean, the dude's consistent. We're never going to hear "Gerard Vroomen" and "lively and funky, if a bit unpredictable" in the same sentence (besides this one). He's the bizarro world version of Grant Petersen.

Mon, 10/16/2017 - 15:06
Rentable Faxmachine
Rentable Faxmachine's picture
(Reply to #19695)

iwillbe wrote:
Rentable Faxmachine wrote:
I rode an Open One+ MTB and it was the definition of efficiency (and it should have been considering the price/spec). Light as hell, too. Zero fun, unfortunately.

I mean, the dude's consistent. We're never going to hear "Gerard Vroomen" and "lively and funky, if a bit unpredictable" in the same sentence (besides this one). He's the bizarro world version of Grant Petersen.

Yeah, that sounds accurate. It's one of the few times I've ridden an MTB and the handling was so nervous that I felt like I was going to have a panic attack just keeping the rubber side down.

Mon, 10/16/2017 - 19:18
Endpoint
Endpoint's picture

Keep coming here to see FNG's bike(s). Still waiting.

Mon, 10/16/2017 - 23:09
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture

He's busy helping out over at the MTBR forum.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Mon, 10/16/2017 - 23:51
aerobear
aerobear's picture
(Reply to #19698)

Wintage Townie wrote:
He's busy helping out over at the MTBR forum.

So helpful. Should we head over and offer up our appreciation?

crowding wrote:
Every time i eat Dick's I just wind up disappointed that I'm not getting In-n-Out.

Tue, 10/17/2017 - 00:33
Endpoint
Endpoint's picture

Bless you Saint FNG.

Tue, 10/17/2017 - 07:52
johnasavoia
johnasavoia's picture

JATS-o-the day goes to... ME. This was my first converzion back in 2010, just a few months after buying an off the shelf boom era single speed. I snagged a dusty but good condition Bianchi Volpe complete from Goodwill for $30, and turned it into this mess. I had no idea what I was doing, the chain skipped all the time and the brakes didn't work for shit. I ended up selling it about a year later, never knew how good of a bike it could have been if I had thrown some fat tires, a few gears, and some cruiser bars on it back then. I could have skipped 5 years of dithering and had something damn close to what I ride these days.

Fri, 10/20/2017 - 08:46

Pages