SO AERO

87 posts / 0 new
Last post
jimmythefly
jimmythefly's picture
SO AERO

Get me into a TT bike.

There's a local multi-sport stage race that includes a road bike leg that is a 22 mile mostly-downhill time trial. Some coworkers and I will be forming a Clydesdale team in the Business division.

This is my excuse to build up a fun/funny/cheapskate aero bike.

Option 1 is to time-trial-ify my mini velo. Remove fenders, add narrow tires, get some BMX 20" aero wheel covers, etc. Challenges include that because of the small wheels I'll need to find a massive chainring -I have a 54 now and that is very easy to spin out. Upside is it will look hilarious which I am definitely not trying to be too serious about this.

Option 2 is to find a road frame and build up something specific. Ideally I can find some wheels with at least a bit of a deep rim -all the better to add large gaudy graphics or paint scheme. It would be awesome to find a frame with some huge aero tubes too.

Either way I plan on some silly paint.

DQ: sizing- I typically ride a 56. I assume if I stick with drop bars that is good. But what if I want to use some aero bars -what size frame should I look out for?

DQ2: Should I homebrew some plastic aero fairings if my frame has normal round tubes?
DQ3: Should I homebrew a helmet extension too?

Wed, 03/07/2018 - 17:34
ergott
ergott's picture

I assume you don't want to bother with new saddle position for this so road bike fit would probably be easier. Definitely clip on aero extensions. Even it it's for fun, can't hurt to be fast and that's free speed. Can you sort of ride your current road bike with your forearms on the bar tops? If so then maybe those Cinelli Spinaccis for cool factor.

Wheel covers
https://www.ebay.com/i/272821596271?chn=ps&fl=a

Some sort of helmet extension would be cool. Definitely a skin suit. The uglier the better.

If someone on here did it, I'd probably like it. Since it was done by someone I don't know, they're a fucking idiot.

Wed, 03/07/2018 - 18:00
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

"Folks want options!"

Wed, 03/07/2018 - 18:26
b-roll
b-roll's picture

Consider fixed gear. If the course is consistently downhill, why not?

"Long story short: I'm stupid, but stupid like a fox."

Wed, 03/07/2018 - 20:05
joy of vaping
joy of vaping's picture
(Reply to #4)

b-roll wrote:
Consider fixed gear. If the course is consistently downhill, why not?

Depending on the grade, you'll probably be faster coasting.

Is it 100% downhill? Is a gravity bike doable?

Wed, 03/07/2018 - 20:28
cheese
cheese's picture

can you find a skinsuit that looks like you’re wearing Robin Williams’ skin Y/N?

Wed, 03/07/2018 - 20:50
jimmythefly
jimmythefly's picture

It's not 100% downhill, and is really not even particularly steep. Looks like 161 ft. of climbing, 2800 ft. of descending, over 18 miles or so.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/43.9937474,-121.6611339/44.0383247,-121.3360666/@44.0108509,-121.5686397,12z/am=t/data=!4m2!4m1!3e1

I will definitely be shopping for outlandish aero suits.

deadforkinglast wrote:
But honestly, I have no idea how I am going to follow through on that plan and I already have a pretty rad bike. I think I just like fucking with my bikes.

Wed, 03/07/2018 - 20:54
VT regularbike
VT regularbike's picture

You should definitely make an aero helmet by adding a bll case fairing to it. I'd also consider trying to vinyl wrap to a deepish rim over the spokes for maximum lightweight gaudiness. Probably wouldn't hold up too long but would be an interesting experiment. I've got some deda deep drops from the sweet fixie days I'll donate to your efforts.

Miguel wrote:
i mean as long as we're spending money, lets just set the wallet on fire ok

Wed, 03/07/2018 - 21:24
cousinmosquito
cousinmosquito's picture

jimmythefly wrote:
Get me into a TT bike.

There's a local multi-sport stage race that includes a road bike leg that is a 22 mile mostly-downhill time trial. Some coworkers and I will be forming a Clydesdale team in the Business division.

This is my excuse to build up a fun/funny/cheapskate aero bike.

Option 1 is to time-trial-ify my mini velo. Remove fenders, add narrow tires, get some BMX 20" aero wheel covers, etc. Challenges include that because of the small wheels I'll need to find a massive chainring -I have a 54 now and that is very easy to spin out. Upside is it will look hilarious which I am definitely not trying to be too serious about this.

Option 2 is to find a road frame and build up something specific. Ideally I can find some wheels with at least a bit of a deep rim -all the better to add large gaudy graphics or paint scheme. It would be awesome to find a frame with some huge aero tubes too.

Either way I plan on some silly paint.

DQ: sizing- I typically ride a 56. I assume if I stick with drop bars that is good. But what if I want to use some aero bars -what size frame should I look out for?

DQ2: Should I homebrew some plastic aero fairings if my frame has normal round tubes?
DQ3: Should I homebrew a helmet extension too?

Inappropriate TTing is my thing.
DQ: Typically TT bikes are a couple of CMS shorter than road bikes, in my experience anyway.
Minivelo. That would rock. You might be surprised at how fast it was. I cant find this guy from my IG, but he races them with disc covers front and rear.
They seem to be these pink ones: https://www.instagram.com/p/BTq0L7xAniZ/?taken-by=miniveloatelier
Strapping on some aero bars would be a no-brainer. You could possibly mess with stems to get your position right but if its mostly down-hill, clipping your knees on the pads when climbing shouldn't be an issue.

I am not sure what you could do about the big ring. Its not like you find stuff larger than a 54/56 lying around in parts bins eh? More likely you could try a some kind of hack involving one of the stupid small 1x sprockets like a 10 or a 9 tooth, but I guess that would mean XD driver ?

More wonderful than you can believe it

Wed, 03/07/2018 - 21:29
euclid
euclid's picture

Cassette on internal geared hub

Wed, 03/07/2018 - 21:55
eric_ssucks
eric_ssucks's picture

Serious discussion: most of your aero penally comes from your frontal area and drag from your head, body, and shoes. Tape up a helmet, wear a skinsuit or actually tight stretchy clothes, and get some shoe covers.
Next step is to reduce your frontal area, which is what those aero bars are for. There's some pretty lulzy deer antlers out there you can find pretty cheap.

Wheel covers and shit are great once you're looking for that last 1% or looking for something with pictures of naked dudes or cheese wheels or pizza.

Tc: I don't TT but got tired of crotchety triathletes whining about non aero Garmin placement and I did some research.

Wed, 03/07/2018 - 22:09
aerobear
aerobear's picture

definitely aero bars. you want a shorter stem than you would want with road bars, by several cm. it's worth having your elbows at a 90 deg angle on the aero bars to distribute some weight through your elbows so you aren't reaching so much. and you probably want your saddle higher and slightly forward to avoid hitting your knees on your chest. these are easy adjustments since this is a purpose built bike and youre not fucking around with an existing bike.

basically if you have 1) aero front wheel, 2) aero bars, 3) aero helmet - you've gotten 90% of the way there. ideallly on the most hilarious looking bike possible..

crowding wrote:
Every time i eat Dick's I just wind up disappointed that I'm not getting In-n-Out.

Wed, 03/07/2018 - 22:15
eric_ssucks
eric_ssucks's picture

You could probably even skip the wheel if only bars and hamlet are in the budget.

Wed, 03/07/2018 - 22:18
jimmythefly
jimmythefly's picture

Mini velo it is!

deadforkinglast wrote:
But honestly, I have no idea how I am going to follow through on that plan and I already have a pretty rad bike. I think I just like fucking with my bikes.

Wed, 03/07/2018 - 22:22
Larry Winget
Larry Winget's picture

Looking forward to the pics.

The Pitbull of Personal Development®

Wed, 03/07/2018 - 22:35
eric_ssucks
eric_ssucks's picture

"bear on a kid's bike"

Wed, 03/07/2018 - 22:39
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture
(Reply to #16)

eric_ssucks wrote:
"bear on a kid's bike"

Could you get a bear suit and rub in a bunch of hair gel?

"Folks want options!"

Wed, 03/07/2018 - 23:41
eric_ssucks
eric_ssucks's picture

I've met Jimmy. He needs some furry underpants and a lot of sunscreen.

Wed, 03/07/2018 - 23:59
halbritt
halbritt's picture

You basically want to rotate your entire body forward around the bike. Don't fuck with a road fit. You want the saddle as far forward as possible. Having something smaller will definitely help with this. Shortening the stem as Amy mentioned will help handling.

...shift like jesus making one set of footprints in the sand in your time of need

Thu, 03/08/2018 - 00:16
cousinmosquito
cousinmosquito's picture

Even tho you get more aero effect from the front, if you mess with disc covers, probably best just to put them on the back. The gyoscopic effect of shit on the front and flakiness in cross winds can be scary, although generally speaking, big guys cope with that stuff better. If there is a lot of DH you dont want to make the transition from drops to aeros to large if its going to hinder your confidence on the descent.

More wonderful than you can believe it

Thu, 03/08/2018 - 00:52
crowding
crowding's picture

Some good ideas in this thread.

Thu, 03/08/2018 - 02:47
Rusty Piton
Rusty Piton's picture

emor wrote:
Bicycle commuting is the worst way to get anywhere except for all the other ways.

Thu, 03/08/2018 - 10:06
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture
(Reply to #22)

crowding wrote:
Some good ideas in this thread.

dude!

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Thu, 03/08/2018 - 10:18
jimmythefly
jimmythefly's picture

amaze.

deadforkinglast wrote:
But honestly, I have no idea how I am going to follow through on that plan and I already have a pretty rad bike. I think I just like fucking with my bikes.

Thu, 03/08/2018 - 13:34
oogens
oogens's picture
(Reply to #24)

cousinmosquito wrote:
jimmythefly wrote:
Get me into a TT bike.

There's a local multi-sport stage race that includes a road bike leg that is a 22 mile mostly-downhill time trial. Some coworkers and I will be forming a Clydesdale team in the Business division.

This is my excuse to build up a fun/funny/cheapskate aero bike.

Option 1 is to time-trial-ify my mini velo. Remove fenders, add narrow tires, get some BMX 20" aero wheel covers, etc. Challenges include that because of the small wheels I'll need to find a massive chainring -I have a 54 now and that is very easy to spin out. Upside is it will look hilarious which I am definitely not trying to be too serious about this.

Option 2 is to find a road frame and build up something specific. Ideally I can find some wheels with at least a bit of a deep rim -all the better to add large gaudy graphics or paint scheme. It would be awesome to find a frame with some huge aero tubes too.

Either way I plan on some silly paint.

DQ: sizing- I typically ride a 56. I assume if I stick with drop bars that is good. But what if I want to use some aero bars -what size frame should I look out for?

DQ2: Should I homebrew some plastic aero fairings if my frame has normal round tubes?
DQ3: Should I homebrew a helmet extension too?

Inappropriate TTing is my thing.
DQ: Typically TT bikes are a couple of CMS shorter than road bikes, in my experience anyway.
Minivelo. That would rock. You might be surprised at how fast it was. I cant find this guy from my IG, but he races them with disc covers front and rear.
They seem to be these pink ones: https://www.instagram.com/p/BTq0L7xAniZ/?taken-by=miniveloatelier
Strapping on some aero bars would be a no-brainer. You could possibly mess with stems to get your position right but if its mostly down-hill, clipping your knees on the pads when climbing shouldn't be an issue.

I am not sure what you could do about the big ring. Its not like you find stuff larger than a 54/56 lying around in parts bins eh? More likely you could try a some kind of hack involving one of the stupid small 1x sprockets like a 10 or a 9 tooth, but I guess that would mean XD driver ?

I was hoping you'd show up here

KARATT MONKEY FOREVER (even though it's gone)

Thu, 03/08/2018 - 16:12
cousinmosquito
cousinmosquito's picture
(Reply to #25)

Ha ha. I stumbled across this just yesterday in my google images. The record of the record. RIP KMTT. Sniff.
I cant wait to see the Minivelo TT world record . We saw some really wicked Minivelos in Naoshima Art Island in Japan. They wouldn't let us hire them tho.

More wonderful than you can believe it

Thu, 03/08/2018 - 16:58
jimmythefly
jimmythefly's picture

deadforkinglast wrote:
But honestly, I have no idea how I am going to follow through on that plan and I already have a pretty rad bike. I think I just like fucking with my bikes.

Thu, 03/08/2018 - 18:15
cousinmosquito
cousinmosquito's picture
(Reply to #27)

Mental. Check for ground clearance ; )

More wonderful than you can believe it

Thu, 03/08/2018 - 18:58
cousinmosquito
cousinmosquito's picture

More wonderful than you can believe it

Thu, 03/08/2018 - 19:20
Gary Fissure
Fri, 03/09/2018 - 10:08
jeffro
jeffro's picture
(Reply to #30)
Fri, 03/09/2018 - 18:06
wesbarf
wesbarf's picture

I've got two actual time trial funny bikes sitting around in seattle.

One's just a frame and fork. Colnago, takes a 650c wheel. It's fancy, and has just been sitting around for years because nobody wants to buy it, just look at it.

Other one is complete. It's a Nashbar (looks like a rebranded GT), with a 24" front wheel (terry standard). It's been sitting at a co-workers house for a while. I've been trying to sell it for practically nothing, but again, nobody wants it. It's actually fun to ride.

I'd be down to sell for cheap or loan either one for such a worthy cause.

Here's the Nashbar. Bad pic but it's what I've got.

Sat, 03/10/2018 - 15:40
JLN
JLN's picture
(Reply to #32)

wesbarf wrote:
I've got two actual time trial funny bikes sitting around in seattle.

One's just a frame and fork. Colnago, takes a 650c wheel. It's fancy, and has just been sitting around for years because nobody wants to buy it, just look at it.

Other one is complete. It's a Nashbar (looks like a rebranded GT), with a 24" front wheel (terry standard). It's been sitting at a co-workers house for a while. I've been trying to sell it for practically nothing, but again, nobody wants it. It's actually fun to ride.

I'd be down to sell for cheap or loan either one for such a worthy cause.

Here's the Nashbar. Bad pic but it's what I've got.

Fuck! I would love something like that with risers as a dumb pub bike.

Sat, 03/10/2018 - 23:31
b-roll
b-roll's picture

I do not believe I could ride that bike after drinking. Maybe not before.
Looks cool though.

"Long story short: I'm stupid, but stupid like a fox."

Sun, 03/11/2018 - 20:26
cousinmosquito
cousinmosquito's picture

some very fast small wheeled bikes in this page..
http://www.rodbikes.com/articles/toeoverlap.html

More wonderful than you can believe it

Sun, 03/11/2018 - 22:07
jimmythefly
jimmythefly's picture

Well shit. 53/11 on a 700x25 tire is equivalent to 76/11 on a 20x1.25 tire. So I'm looking at a custom chainwheel, some sort of halfshaft step-up gearing(maybe based on a tandem child stoker kit), or going to a bike with a 700c rear wheel.

I'm not 100% sure I'd need a 53/11 as I've never hammered downhill on this course before. But even 52/12 on 700c works out to 68/11 on 20in wheels so I'm still in the same boat. And the course is pretty much 2%-5% downhill grade the whole way.

I need to go pre-run some of the course on a standard road bike first to see what I really might need.

deadforkinglast wrote:
But honestly, I have no idea how I am going to follow through on that plan and I already have a pretty rad bike. I think I just like fucking with my bikes.

Wed, 03/14/2018 - 16:19
drwelby
drwelby's picture

This would give you 33% overdrive. You could run it locked in high gear.

Naturally, this bike is partially tarck's fault.

Wed, 03/14/2018 - 16:32
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

"Folks want options!"

Wed, 03/14/2018 - 16:41
cheese
cheese's picture

^ lollin' at the idea of a tinywheel aero bike with a giant chainring and basically a transfer case. Jimmy can you wear a morph suit?

Wed, 03/14/2018 - 16:43
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Wed, 03/14/2018 - 18:51
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

ghettaero

"Folks want options!"

Wed, 03/14/2018 - 18:55
b-roll
b-roll's picture

I am so wishing this idea had occurred to me about 10 years ago.

"Long story short: I'm stupid, but stupid like a fox."

Wed, 03/14/2018 - 20:29
VT regularbike
VT regularbike's picture

Jimmy whip up a .dxf of a 76t chain ring. I'll see if I can punch it out. Probably will need some hand finishing since we're pretty busy but I'll see what I can do. I should have some .08 7xxx series lying around I can use. Shifting would most likely suck but it'd fit the theme of the build

Miguel wrote:
i mean as long as we're spending money, lets just set the wallet on fire ok

Wed, 03/14/2018 - 21:05
JLN
JLN's picture

How aero is a 20” Tuff?

Thu, 03/15/2018 - 22:08
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Fri, 03/16/2018 - 10:43
jimmythefly
jimmythefly's picture

WOW FAST cockpit purchased. Anyone have a very bonerstem in 31.8 barclampway?

VT Tallbike is helping me with the chainring problem.

deadforkinglast wrote:
But honestly, I have no idea how I am going to follow through on that plan and I already have a pretty rad bike. I think I just like fucking with my bikes.

Fri, 03/23/2018 - 09:58
Andrew_Squirrel
Andrew_Squirrel's picture

Excited to see the progress!

Fri, 03/23/2018 - 13:53
VT regularbike
VT regularbike's picture

I'll probably have the punching strategy done this weekend and try and run it on Monday. It'll be punched out this week for sure.

Miguel wrote:
i mean as long as we're spending money, lets just set the wallet on fire ok

Fri, 03/23/2018 - 19:54
eric_ssucks
eric_ssucks's picture

I'll check my stash. What bonerway?

Sat, 03/24/2018 - 00:10
jimmythefly
jimmythefly's picture

Extra. I mean, right now I have a technomic, and I'll be using a quill/threadless adapter.
Might end up having to use an adjustable stem. THE SHAME.

deadforkinglast wrote:
But honestly, I have no idea how I am going to follow through on that plan and I already have a pretty rad bike. I think I just like fucking with my bikes.

Sat, 03/24/2018 - 00:45
TimArchyLime
TimArchyLime's picture

Petition to name whatever bike comes out of this "THE SHAME"

Snarky Varking wrote:
Tarckbike- Where mile 11 means you're on a long ride.

Sat, 03/24/2018 - 12:06

Pages