Mr. Dilthey's own thread for posting jackass bikes that he likes.

752 posts / 0 new
Last post
timberland boots
timberland boots's picture
(Reply to #51)

ckd wrote:
It's probably smart to carry an extra set of handlebars too. I've bent a set in a crash before.

I've had several bike rides where I didn't flat, guess everyone should leave their tubes at home while we construct ridiculous straw man arguments.

Anal Beads Al-Qaeda Ball Gag NAMBLA

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 16:14
ckd
ckd's picture

Sometimes I'm not hungry. Guess I should stop buying food.

-is a sandwich
-is a REAL doctor

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 16:15
iwillbe
iwillbe's picture
(Reply to #53)

timberland boots wrote:
Nobody is trying to take away your hydraulic brakes

see the first line of my post that you quoted.

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 16:33
akasnowmaaan
akasnowmaaan's picture

I've started bringing extra brake pads when I tour because I wear through those pretty quickly.

And the spare spokes and brake/shifter cables are my offerings to the gods of luck to make sure I never break those on the road.

Should have said it was just a cross check with different geometry. - Todd

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 16:43
timberland boots
timberland boots's picture
(Reply to #55)

iwillbe wrote:
timberland boots wrote:
Nobody is trying to take away your hydraulic brakes

see the first line of my post that you quoted.

That mechanical disc brakes make sense for coupled bikes?

Oh, ok then.

Anal Beads Al-Qaeda Ball Gag NAMBLA

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 16:59
mdilthey
mdilthey's picture

No coupled bike talk in Mr. Dilthey's bike thread. Unless it's a Ritchey.

26/M/41t N/W

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 17:33
Rusty Piton
Rusty Piton's picture
(Reply to #57)

timberland boots wrote:
ckd wrote:
It's probably smart to carry an extra set of handlebars too. I've bent a set in a crash before.

I've had several bike rides where I didn't flat, guess everyone should leave their tubes at home while we construct ridiculous straw man arguments.

I've broken crankarms, bottom brackets, pedals and chainrings. Guess I should carry spares of those on every ride?

emor wrote:
Bicycle commuting is the worst way to get anywhere except for all the other ways.

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 18:21
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture
(Reply to #58)

Rusty Piton wrote:
I've broken crankarms, bottom brackets, pedals, disc brake calipers, SHITTY SRAM ROAD SHIFTERS AND MOUNTAIN SHIFTERS, a half dozen spokes, fubar'd tires, taco'd rims and severely bent chainrings.

ftfm

"Folks want options!"

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 18:33
Whippin Skidz
Whippin Skidz's picture

The word filter formatting claims a new victim smiley

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 19:15
mander
mander's picture

Plane shifter

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 20:42
mdilthey
mdilthey's picture
(Reply to #61)

Rusty Piton wrote:

I've broken crankarms, bottom brackets, pedals and chainrings. Guess I should carry spares of those on every ride?

This argument is really stupid.

1. When touring in a remote area, you will likely not be riding as hard as when you are shredding local trails and pushing the bike to its limit.

2. Replacement parts can be chosen based on the likelihood of failure AND the practicality of carrying a spare. I carry 6-7 links of chain, quicklinks, spare rack bolts, a spare tubeless valve, two spare tubes, some Stan's, a few spokes, a fiberfix spoke, a spare brake cable, a spare chainring bolt, some dick brake rotor bolts and caliper bolts, and two sets of brake pads. Total weight is like 5-7 ounces and I can address a huge number of less-than-uncommon failures. On the Iceland trip, I brought the lightest, thinnest MTB tire that fit both my bike and Kelley's bike, but I usually don't carry that.

Wheels are probably more likely to fail than any other component on a steel SS rigid bike. But, I'm NOT going to carry a spare wheel because it's too heavy. I'm not carrying spares because I'm trying to be 100% accident-proof, guys. It's about reducing your chance of having to bail out from like, 5% to 2% probability. All for the cost of a few ounces.

26/M/41t N/W

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 21:05
that guy
that guy's picture

I never ride without a spare

Bikes suck. Don't ride one.

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 21:20
ckd
ckd's picture

I broke a seatpost collar while JRA once.

In fact, I have broken more seatpost collars than brake cables.

-is a sandwich
-is a REAL doctor

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 21:22
emor
emor's picture

Any known hydrofailures on Tarck?

"my main life goal is to have a dirtbag camper van with a bunch of bikes on it, go camping every vacation forever" -- me

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 22:08
timberland boots
timberland boots's picture
(Reply to #65)

Rusty Piton wrote:
timberland boots wrote:
ckd wrote:
It's probably smart to carry an extra set of handlebars too. I've bent a set in a crash before.

I've had several bike rides where I didn't flat, guess everyone should leave their tubes at home while we construct ridiculous straw man arguments.

I've broken crankarms, bottom brackets, pedals and chainrings. Guess I should carry spares of those on every ride?

That would be stupid when you can just keep a brompton in your panniers

Anal Beads Al-Qaeda Ball Gag NAMBLA

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 22:14
ShartAttack
ShartAttack's picture

Max I understand the need to have some spares but is all that hardware really necessary if you are checking your bolts every day or 2?

I guess I'm more perplexed about the spare tubeless valve. I suppose a tubeless valve could fail but I'm having a hard time imagining using one in a roadside repair when you've got the tubes.

And I think you are missing a tubeless tire patch kit in there lol

Former RAGBRAI enthusiast

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 22:20
halbritt
halbritt's picture

and to think, when this whole thing got started, we didn't need brakes.

...shift like jesus making one set of footprints in the sand in your time of need

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 22:24
jamey
jamey's picture
(Reply to #68)

that guy wrote:
I never ride without a spare

Perfect

truckdoug "never turn down free beer, dont stick your dick where you wouldnt put your face, and always ride shimano"

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 22:41
mdilthey
mdilthey's picture
(Reply to #69)

ShartAttack wrote:
Max I understand the need to have some spares but is all that hardware really necessary if you are checking your bolts every day or 2?

I guess I'm more perplexed about the spare tubeless valve. I suppose a tubeless valve could fail but I'm having a hard time imagining using one in a roadside repair when you've got the tubes.

And I think you are missing a tubeless tire patch kit in there lol

Oh yeah, like two patch kits and various tire boots / tire plugs / self-adhesive stuff and whatever. Tubeless valve so that I can get a tire running tubeless again if my valve fails. I put it in there because Logan @ bikepacking.com told me to but now that you mention it, probably not necessary.

26/M/41t N/W

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 22:49
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture
(Reply to #70)

emor wrote:
Any known hydrofailures on Tarck?

Tarck is a pretty small sample size, but I can tell you that, not even counting the various recalled hydro brakes, I've seen more than my fair share in the bike shop. Mostly Avid and other generic brands, but the whole last generation of Shimano XT M785 calipers (used with RS685 and on mountain bikes) have a mysterious failure that Shimano never revealed or recalled. Two years ago, we were seeing literally dozens of bikes with fluid leaking out at the caliper, but I haven't seen it in a while, so it seems fixed now.

I also know that Foon had his SRAM hydro road lever fail on the Oregon Outback, but since one hydro brake is basically worth two functional mech brakes, he was easily able to finish without one.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 22:55
cousinmosquito
cousinmosquito's picture
(Reply to #71)

Wintage Townie wrote:
emor wrote:
Any known hydrofailures on Tarck?

Tarck is a pretty small sample size, but I can tell you that, not even counting the various recalled hydro brakes, I've seen more than my fair share in the bike shop. Mostly Avid and other generic brands, but the whole last generation of Shimano XT M785 calipers (used with RS685 and on mountain bikes) have a mysterious failure that Shimano never revealed or recalled. Two years ago, we were seeing literally dozens of bikes with fluid leaking out at the caliper, but I haven't seen it in a while, so it seems fixed now.

I also know that Foon had his SRAM hydro road lever fail on the Oregon Outback, but since one hydro brake is basically worth two functional mech brakes, he was easily able to finish without one.

My beef with hydraulics is not failures as such, but when they are only used randomly, as in every 6 months, they are often jammed up, or bind. I have 12 bikes but only three with hydraulics, they all did it. They seem very reactive to changes in the seasons, humidty, cold, and its pretty temperate here. It could well be that all my brakes are just shitter models, so it when I picked up some new Shimano SLX I was expecting a lot more than the "levers-into-the-bars" thing that I get on one side, vigorous pumping seems to fix it. The other brakes which all caused me similar grief (with serious binding) were Avid Ultimates, Avid Elixr 5s and Forumula Ouros.

Tue, 04/25/2017 - 00:05
Shortpants
Shortpants's picture
(Reply to #72)

mdilthey wrote:
Rusty Piton wrote:

I've broken crankarms, bottom brackets, pedals and chainrings. Guess I should carry spares of those on every ride?

This argument is really stupid.

1. When touring in a remote area, you will likely not be riding as hard as when you are shredding local trails and pushing the bike to its limit.

2. Replacement parts can be chosen based on the likelihood of failure AND the practicality of carrying a spare. I carry 6-7 links of chain, quicklinks, spare rack bolts, a spare tubeless valve, two spare tubes, some Stan's, a few spokes, a fiberfix spoke, a spare brake cable, a spare chainring bolt, some dick brake rotor bolts and caliper bolts, and two sets of brake pads. Total weight is like 5-7 ounces and I can address a huge number of less-than-uncommon failures. On the Iceland trip, I brought the lightest, thinnest MTB tire that fit both my bike and Kelley's bike, but I usually don't carry that.

Wheels are probably more likely to fail than any other component on a steel SS rigid bike. But, I'm NOT going to carry a spare wheel because it's too heavy. I'm not carrying spares because I'm trying to be 100% accident-proof, guys. It's about reducing your chance of having to bail out from like, 5% to 2% probability. All for the cost of a few ounces.

This is what we call a diamond in the rough. Shit out enough posts and you'll stumble upon some glimpse of good argument and possible wisdom.

But for real, I'm with you Max. Field repairs ARE necessary and while you can't plan or pack for everything you can much more easily plan and pack (and execute) a mechanical replacement than a hydro one.

Tue, 04/25/2017 - 01:20
ergott
ergott's picture

I'd rather enjoy the 999 other rides with better brakes.

If someone on here did it, I'd probably like it. Since it was done by someone I don't know, they're a fucking idiot.

Tue, 04/25/2017 - 06:15
Face
Face's picture
(Reply to #74)

halbritt wrote:
and to think, when this whole thing got started, we didn't need brakes.

Mr. Pubes wrote:
i fear that you are so lost in your own asshole that you may never be found again. do you have a flare gun? send for help.

Tue, 04/25/2017 - 08:38
Rusty Piton
Rusty Piton's picture
(Reply to #75)

that guy wrote:
I never ride without a spare

This is just good sense.
Here's my setup:

emor wrote:
Bicycle commuting is the worst way to get anywhere except for all the other ways.

Tue, 04/25/2017 - 10:31
oogens
oogens's picture
Tue, 04/25/2017 - 16:06
Whippin Skidz
Whippin Skidz's picture

For the longest time I never carried anything but a lock. Now that I'm trying to actually be mindful of what I need, I end up taking too much shit with me. Tube, inflator, two c02 carts, multitool, patch kit, tire lever, shift lever, quick link, phone, wallet, keys, water, snacks, etc. I kinda hate it. If I needed to carry even more I'd be too mad to ride.

Tue, 04/25/2017 - 16:38
cousinmosquito
cousinmosquito's picture
(Reply to #78)

My commute takes an hour so I err on the side of catastrophic-failure-paranoia and go with multiple tubes, patches, glue. Multiple power-links and ALWAYS a chain breaker, and a boot made from a cut up tire. And a multi tool of course. Those little self-stick patches don't really work for me. I think there is too much moisture in the atmosphere or something.

Tue, 04/25/2017 - 18:13
eric_ssucks
eric_ssucks's picture

If my commute had not been through PDX I would definitely have carried more stuff. As it goes, the only catastrophic failure I encountered was directly across the street from an open bike shop, and it was fixed less than 20 minutes and $20 later.

Tue, 04/25/2017 - 18:37
heavymetal
heavymetal's picture
(Reply to #80)

cousinmosquito wrote:
My commute takes an hour so I err on the side of catastrophic-failure-paranoia and go with multiple tubes, patches, glue. Multiple power-links and ALWAYS a chain breaker, and a boot made from a cut up tire. And a multi tool of course. Those little self-stick patches don't really work for me. I think there is too much moisture in the atmosphere or something.

My commute is also over an hour. Two tubes, levers, emergency stick-on patches, multi-tool w/- chainbreaker, quicklink, framepump. I don't think this is excessive, and all fits in a pencil-case-sized pencil case which rides in the bottom of my rack bag. The most I've ever had to use is a tube, except for one time when I had to dig a wire out of a Hetre and my multi-tool came in handy.

Tue, 04/25/2017 - 18:38
jawn doe
jawn doe's picture
(Reply to #81)

Rusty Piton wrote:
that guy wrote:
I never ride without a spare

This is just good sense.
Here's my setup:

whenever i see a brompton with a front bag i like to imagine it contains a spare brompton in case of flat tire

Tue, 04/25/2017 - 20:29
mdilthey
mdilthey's picture

26/M/41t N/W

Tue, 04/25/2017 - 20:57
Sneaky Viking
Sneaky Viking's picture

god damn it.

ckd wrote:
I mean, seriously. We're just a bunch of washed up bicycle burnout dipshits.

Tue, 04/25/2017 - 21:37
mdilthey
mdilthey's picture

I am all about wide-range weird Gevenalle conversions. Why doesn't Tarck like Gevenalle? I would think that weird friction turkey setups would thrive here and I've spoken with "The Goats" a couple of times and they seem like nice folks to do business with. What don't I know?

26/M/41t N/W

Tue, 04/25/2017 - 21:42
jamey
jamey's picture

One of the most on-topic posts in a thread ever.

truckdoug "never turn down free beer, dont stick your dick where you wouldnt put your face, and always ride shimano"

Tue, 04/25/2017 - 21:43
Sneaky Viking
Sneaky Viking's picture

We love turkeys with terrible ergonomics, as well as aluminum forks. Why would you think we don't?

ckd wrote:
I mean, seriously. We're just a bunch of washed up bicycle burnout dipshits.

Tue, 04/25/2017 - 21:45
Sneaky Viking
Sneaky Viking's picture

Have you ever even used road shakes, Mr. Singlespeeds?

ckd wrote:
I mean, seriously. We're just a bunch of washed up bicycle burnout dipshits.

Tue, 04/25/2017 - 21:46
halbritt
halbritt's picture

Holy shit.

...shift like jesus making one set of footprints in the sand in your time of need

Tue, 04/25/2017 - 22:47
Endpoint
Endpoint's picture

I like that frame because my first craws bike was a conquest pro from the following year and it gives me good feels. However, that build is jackass. If you're going to go 1x on an old Conquest it better have a 9s sti lever hooked up to a mega9 XTR dangler with one of those double bash guard jawns cyclocrossworld used to sell.

And Empella froglegs.

Tue, 04/25/2017 - 22:57
emor
emor's picture

If you don't hate gevennelle from an atomic level, you need to really question whether you're ready to post here.

A better way of looking at it is: what reason is there to like them? What problem do they solve that hasn't been solved better already? Do they look cool or fucking stupid?

I don't care if they're nice guys. Being a nice guy doesn't mean the shit you're selling is good.

"my main life goal is to have a dirtbag camper van with a bunch of bikes on it, go camping every vacation forever" -- me

Tue, 04/25/2017 - 23:43
oogens
oogens's picture
(Reply to #91)

Endpoint wrote:
I like that frame because my first craws bike was a conquest pro from the following year and it gives me good feels. However, that build is jackass. If you're going to go 1x on an old Conquest it better have a 9s sti lever hooked up to a mega9 XTR dangler with one of those double bash guard jawns cyclocrossworld used to sell.

And Empella froglegs.

I'd be okay with a 10sp campy ergo with big ass xtr deraingler as well

Wed, 04/26/2017 - 00:05
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

I stand with emor

"Folks want options!"

Wed, 04/26/2017 - 00:09
ShartAttack
ShartAttack's picture

Just to spell it out for Max:

Can't shift from drops
Can't brake from hoods
Looks like ass compared to every practical alternative

Former RAGBRAI enthusiast

Wed, 04/26/2017 - 00:23
kmcdon
kmcdon's picture

I had this whole thing typed up and then realized that emor had it covered.

Those things make no sense at all.

Wed, 04/26/2017 - 00:25
Blakey
Blakey's picture
(Reply to #95)

ShartAttack wrote:
Just to spell it out for Max:

Can't shift from drops
Can't brake from hoods
Looks like ass compared to every practical alternative

Can't use brake lever qr function

Wed, 04/26/2017 - 01:09
halbritt
halbritt's picture

It's cool, guys. Eventually Max is going to find a bike with real shifters that shifts well and in a few years, he'll be back saying, "what the fuck was I thinking?" In the interim, he can opine about whatever weird fucking combination of bike parts that can be amalgamated together into something that's barely usable for any given purpose.

...shift like jesus making one set of footprints in the sand in your time of need

Wed, 04/26/2017 - 01:30
cousinmosquito
cousinmosquito's picture

A friend used them in a 3000km Poopbarning event last year and was a big fan. I haven't used them myself but my gut feeling is I'd prefer them to bar end or downtube. No doubt they look weird, but not as weird as the Russian variant.

Wed, 04/26/2017 - 04:39
timberland boots
timberland boots's picture

I actually like bar end shifters because a spare fits in your pocket really nice leaving more room in your bag for an epoxy kit and some sheet metal in case my frame cracks so I don't have to bail on my commute.

Anal Beads Al-Qaeda Ball Gag NAMBLA

Wed, 04/26/2017 - 09:10
mdilthey
mdilthey's picture

If there's one thing I don't know, it's shifters!

26/M/41t N/W

Wed, 04/26/2017 - 10:16
lukasz
lukasz's picture
(Reply to #100)

timberland boots wrote:
I actually like bar end shifters because a spare fits in your pocket really nice leaving more room in your bag for an epoxy kit and some sheet metal in case my frame cracks so I don't have to bail on my commute.

lol

Wed, 04/26/2017 - 11:15

Pages