Mr. Dilthey's own thread for posting jackass bikes that he likes.

266 posts / 0 new
Last post
Endpoint
Endpoint's picture
Mr. Dilthey's own thread for posting jackass bikes that he likes.

Go nuts new guy. I'll start for you...

mdilthey wrote:

Wed, 04/19/2017 - 22:01
mdilthey
mdilthey's picture

Actually, I kinda like this idea.

26/M/41t N/W

Wed, 04/19/2017 - 22:12
Endpoint
Endpoint's picture

First I was all "that thing isn't jackass.." but then I was all "ohhhhh".

Wed, 04/19/2017 - 22:16
mdilthey
mdilthey's picture

I mean, I wouldn't kick it out of shed.

26/M/41t N/W

Wed, 04/19/2017 - 22:18
joy of vaping
joy of vaping's picture

tarcklebee best new thread spring '17

Wed, 04/19/2017 - 23:04
ShartAttack
ShartAttack's picture
(Reply to #5)

joy of vaping wrote:
tarcklebee best new thread spring '17

Former RAGBRAI enthusiast

Wed, 04/19/2017 - 23:47
ShartAttack
ShartAttack's picture

That Salsa is like a case study in doing everything at least a little bit wrong

Former RAGBRAI enthusiast

Wed, 04/19/2017 - 23:47
lukasz
lukasz's picture
(Reply to #7)

ShartAttack wrote:
That Salsa is like a case study in doing everything at least a little bit wrong

Oh wow I'm on my phone and had to zoom in to investigate.

"Is the saddle a Brooks? Doesn't look like--oh yep it's a Brooks!"

Wed, 04/19/2017 - 23:58
wesbarf
wesbarf's picture

That salsa looks like all of the bolts are just finger-tight and the parts are kinda sagging into place, instead of being positioned right.

Also, leaving off the most useful water bottle cage is a nice touch. Really going against the grain.

Thu, 04/20/2017 - 00:40
kmcdon
kmcdon's picture
(Reply to #9)

wesbarf wrote:
That salsa looks like all of the bolts are just finger-tight and the parts are kinda sagging into place, instead of being positioned right.

Also, leaving off the most useful water bottle cage is a nice touch. Really going against the grain.

I don't understand how you can manage to install a Blackburn outpost world touring rack crooked. It is designed for maximum compatibility and adjust-ability (I still wouldn't use one). It also looks like the headlight is centred right behind the tube of the rack, enjoy your huge dark spot.

Thu, 04/20/2017 - 01:45
johnasavoia
johnasavoia's picture

this thread is proof that mdilby is finally and truly welcome here IMO

Thu, 04/20/2017 - 08:23
mdilthey
mdilthey's picture

This thread will be an island of lost toys on a website otherwise dedicated to nice bicycles.

26/M/41t N/W

Thu, 04/20/2017 - 09:03
fixed
fixed's picture

that salsa really is odd. xt triple + mega cassette makes me so sad. that rack looks like it could be used for scaffolding.

Thu, 04/20/2017 - 10:59
ShartAttack
ShartAttack's picture

xt triple + mega cassette is the best part of that bike shartmo

Former RAGBRAI enthusiast

Thu, 04/20/2017 - 11:17
mdilthey
mdilthey's picture

I like that nerd crank triple too, on this bike in particular. That rack placement sucks but I still like the idea of it. The bike looks rad as far as aesthetics go, too, black/grey/turquoise.

Here's another favorite of mine:

26/M/41t N/W

Thu, 04/20/2017 - 13:55
ergott
ergott's picture
(Reply to #15)

wesbarf wrote:

Also, leaving off the most useful water bottle cage is a nice touch. Really going against the grain.

You mean you can put a cage on there along side the pump mount using the same bolts? Genius.

If someone on here did it, I'd probably like it. Since it was done by someone I don't know, they're a fucking idiot.

Thu, 04/20/2017 - 14:14
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture
(Reply to #16)

ergott wrote:
wesbarf wrote:

Also, leaving off the most useful water bottle cage is a nice touch. Really going against the grain.

You mean you can put a cage on there along side the pump mount using the same bolts? Genius.

i think there is the magnetic bottle thing there

"Folks want options!"

Thu, 04/20/2017 - 17:48
fixed
fixed's picture
(Reply to #17)

mdilthey wrote:
I like that nerd crank triple too, on this bike in particular. That rack placement sucks but I still like the idea of it. The bike looks rad as far as aesthetics go, too, black/grey/turquoise.

Here's another favorite of mine:

i'm so glad this shit is confined to its own thread now
there is so much wrong with that bike and almost nothing right. this is way beyond nitpicky shit, like WTF is with that position? saddle all the way forward with straight thomson post? that's like a TT position. my back would explode. bonus negative points for mismatched anodized bits. neutral points for gigantic rusty stack. that stack looks like a dog's dick.

Fri, 04/21/2017 - 13:02
fixed
fixed's picture

is it bad form for me to shit on the bikes in this thread? is this like the teach a man to fish proverb? if we keep splaining him will he eventually learn?

Fri, 04/21/2017 - 13:05
Dumb
Dumb's picture

Man, there can't be much clearance between the brake noodle and tire on that bike.

JUGE FREDD wrote:
will never again put myself in the position where physics dictates I give a goose a rim job

Fri, 04/21/2017 - 13:13
Sneaky Viking
Sneaky Viking's picture

too small bike with rustystack and slammed forward saddle = bruh you need a custom Serotta

Seriously, this guy could have his pick of any number of gently used dentist bikes with 58 seattube, 55 toptube.

ckd wrote:
I mean, seriously. We're just a bunch of washed up bicycle burnout dipshits.

Fri, 04/21/2017 - 13:19
mdilthey
mdilthey's picture
(Reply to #21)

fixed wrote:
is it bad form for me to shit on the bikes in this thread? is this like the teach a man to fish proverb? if we keep splaining him will he eventually learn?

HY, tell me why I'm wrong, useful AND funny.

26/M/41t N/W

Fri, 04/21/2017 - 13:56
halbritt
halbritt's picture

Clear case of someone that doesn't ride very much and hasn't adapted to it.

...shift like jesus making one set of footprints in the sand in your time of need

Fri, 04/21/2017 - 13:58
mdilthey
mdilthey's picture

I never think about the fit stuff, my eye isn't good enough yet. I always look at components, frames, tires, wheels, etc. For those reasons that Surly gets a HY from me but I see what you mean about the position.

I will still slightly defend my goofy-as-fuck-fit on my own bike, though. Gotta know what the rider's proportions are. My brother Harrison is coming to look at bikes today - he's 6'5" and his waist and my waist (6.0") are in basically the same place. I'm a fucking grasshopper. So my seat looks like that (slightly farther back).

26/M/41t N/W

Fri, 04/21/2017 - 14:11
halbritt
halbritt's picture
(Reply to #24)

mdilthey wrote:
I never think about the fit stuff, my eye isn't good enough yet. I always look at components, frames, tires, wheels, etc. For those reasons that Surly gets a HY from me but I see what you mean about the position.

I will still slightly defend my goofy-as-fuck-fit on my own bike, though. Gotta know what the rider's proportions are. My brother Harrison is coming to look at bikes today - he's 6'5" and his waist and my waist (6.0") are in basically the same place. I'm a fucking grasshopper. So my seat looks like that (slightly farther back).

FTFY, also nope.

I can spot a good fit from across the Internet. I don't need to see the rider.

...shift like jesus making one set of footprints in the sand in your time of need

Fri, 04/21/2017 - 14:17
Wilhelm
Wilhelm's picture
(Reply to #25)

mdilthey wrote:
Actually, I kinda like this idea.

Those are basically just Michelin Jet's, right? I used to run those on my MTB at 45psi in the late 90's

Fri, 04/21/2017 - 14:21
tamaso
tamaso's picture
(Reply to #26)

mdilthey wrote:
I never think about the fit stuff

Honestly that's like 90% of what I judge on bike photos at this point... Whatever frame & meh components in more-or-less the right place on a rig that has contact points dialed for hard riding is infinitely more BA to me at this stage then a blinged out whatever-the-fuck with saddle slammed forward and f'd up hoods.

Fri, 04/21/2017 - 15:38
mdilthey
mdilthey's picture

26/M/41t N/W

Sun, 04/23/2017 - 23:11
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

Very on trend

"Folks want options!"

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 00:24
ShartAttack
ShartAttack's picture

Single speed + cable dicks

why

Former RAGBRAI enthusiast

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 00:31
mdilthey
mdilthey's picture
(Reply to #30)

ShartAttack wrote:
Single speed + cable dicks

why

That's a Rolhoff, but you also just described all of my bikes.

26/M/41t N/W

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 00:33
kmcdon
kmcdon's picture
(Reply to #31)

ShartAttack wrote:
cable dicks

why

field reparibility when you're 300k deep in the Serengeti and your satphone doesn't work.

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 00:44
Straws
Straws's picture
(Reply to #32)

ShartAttack wrote:
Single speed + cable dicks

why

Are you saying why either or why both? Like should get gears and hydro or that SS and cable together makes no sense?

Because honestly if you're out in the middle of fucking nowhere why not ss and cable? If you're with a huge group or on a scheduled 'race/ride' but if you're just out doing fireroad touring mostly alone I get trying to eliminate failure points.

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 02:53
cousinmosquito
cousinmosquito's picture
(Reply to #33)

Straws wrote:
ShartAttack wrote:
Single speed + cable dicks

why

Are you saying why either or why both? Like should get gears and hydro or that SS and cable together makes no sense?

Because honestly if you're out in the middle of fucking nowhere why not ss and cable? If you're with a huge group or on a scheduled 'race/ride' but if you're just out doing fireroad touring mostly alone I get trying to eliminate failure points.

After another disastrous ride on my wife's bike on Sunday I am throwing the hydro discs away and replacing with cable. She rides once every year if I am lucky and the brakes always come into the bars or drag so much that I have to pedal downhill. Not worth it for that amount of random riding.

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 03:37
Endpoint
Endpoint's picture

What brakes?

TBH I see way more little problems with cheap mechanical discs than I do with basic Shimano wet brakes. I'm sure it happens but I have never actually seen a failure of a cheap Shimano hydro brake first hand.

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 07:11
ShartAttack
ShartAttack's picture

Oh lol I see the rohloff grip shifter now. Slightly more acceptable.

I don't really get why people think cable brakes are more reliable than hydro brakes. You don't see guys riding motorcycles through Africa replacing their big hydro brakes with cable-operated drums. I don't think that Shimano brakes are any less reliable than hydraulic discs in any other application.

Former RAGBRAI enthusiast

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 08:26
mdilthey
mdilthey's picture
(Reply to #36)

ShartAttack wrote:
Oh lol I see the rohloff grip shifter now. Slightly more acceptable.

I don't really get why people think cable brakes are more reliable than hydro brakes. You don't see guys riding motorcycles through Africa replacing their big hydro brakes with cable-operated drums. I don't think that Shimano brakes are any less reliable than hydraulic discs in any other application.

I don't know if that's the best example, since a BMW Touring bike weighs 500lbs. Hard to stop.

For me it's a little more practical than that. I carry a spare brake cable and that weighs an ounce? And that means I can replace either cable if anything happens (like getting my housing caught in a crash or something). I can fiddle with a disc brake myself, quite easily, and I run a low risk of fucking anything up. Hydros are much more finicky. If you're trying to make adjustments or fix something, they're much more well-behaved in a shop environment or a basement than a ditch on the side of the road.

But honestly I think the #1 reason I ride SS/cable dicks is because it's simple, and that makes me happy, and I cannot really articulate why. But when I'm riding, all I'm thinking about is the next root, the next turn, the next road. I like it.

26/M/41t N/W

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 09:36
liquify
liquify's picture
(Reply to #37)

mdilthey wrote:
But when I'm riding, all I'm thinking about is the next root, the next turn, the next road. I like it.

I love gears because I don't have to think about any of this. Ever.

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 09:41
timberland boots
timberland boots's picture
(Reply to #38)

ShartAttack wrote:
I don't really get why people think cable brakes are more reliable than hydro brakes.

I don't know that anyone thinks they're more reliable, it's that they're field repairable. If I'm doing a bike tour where I'm going to be away from a bike shop for the majority of it, I bring a spare brake cable, shifter cable, and a short length of chain to replace if it fails. I have literally never in all my years of cycling had a brake cable fail, but meh, peace of mind is nice when you've got a trip you've been planning for 6+ months that will just straight up end if you find yourself without a front brake.

Anal Beads Al-Qaeda Ball Gag NAMBLA

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 09:51
iwillbe

You can carry replacement parts for hydro. It wouldn't be hard to carry a fluid injector, pre-cut and capped hoses, and the rest of it, all neatly coiled along the inside of a frame bag. For that matter, do people carry extra rotors? What if you crash and can't un-bend a borked rotor? If I were riding across the Gobi desert or something, I'd be carrying replacement everythings. If I'm doofing around twenty miles outside of town and my bike breaks, my repair option is probably to call Lyft and sort it out later.

Hydro isn't some weird experimental technology. It's been the standard for everything with wheels except road and touring bicycles for a million years. The whole BUT FIELD REPAIR mentality confuses me - the thing is that they just don't break that much, and neither do cable brakes. I have had one brake cable fail on me, and I've had one rim brake caliper arm crack. Based on those failure rates, I should be carrying entire brake systems every time I ride.

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 09:59
timberland boots
timberland boots's picture
(Reply to #40)

iwillbe wrote:
You can carry replacement parts for hydro. It wouldn't be hard to carry a fluid injector, pre-cut and capped hoses, and the rest of it, all neatly coiled along the inside of a frame bag.

You must surely see a difference between finding room for a fluid injector, pre-cut and capped hoses, a container of hydraulic brake fluid and finding room for;

Anal Beads Al-Qaeda Ball Gag NAMBLA

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 10:04
oogens
oogens's picture

also fluid is messy

I went with cables on my coupled hardtail. With compressionless bmx housing for the rear it gives me most of it (bb7s still lack some of the power that hydros are putting out today, but that's an unfair comparison to 4pot guides). I've never really had to fiddle with my wet brakes, but it's nice knowing that I can make pretty much every adjustment on the bike with the s&s spanner, a multitool, and a shock pump

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 11:36
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture
(Reply to #42)

oogens wrote:
coupled

IMO cable brakes are necessary for coupled bikes. cleaner, idiot & tsa proof.

"Folks want options!"

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 11:44
iwillbe

For coupled bikes cabled disc make sense. My point is that 1. Hydro isn't going to randomly break, and most people aren't trekking to the south pole. We are mostly goofing around in the woods out back of town. 2. If you're going to catastrophize and carry spare parts, why stop at a cable? As I noted, I've broken as many brake caliper arms as cables...

If I were being seriously serious about carrying spare hydro disc supplies, then I'd say no, it wouldn't take up much space. A reservoir / injector is about the size of two clif bars packed right, and precut and capped hoses could be tucked along the inner edges of a bag, disappearing into the lining for all intents and purposes. If you're using DOT fluid, than damn, I dunno, do Tyvek clean suits pack down small?

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 12:41
Wintage Townie
Wintage Townie's picture

Well yeah, DOT fluid = SRAM = nonstarter, for this conversation.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 12:50
Lippy
Lippy's picture

Worst case Ontario you lose one brake you the likelihood of losing both is...... could swap the back to the front, protect the extra hose length and avoid consumption by wolves.

Happily shuffling between rural corn dog stands.

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 12:56
balooon
balooon's picture

iwillbe wrote:
do Tyvek clean suits pack down small?

poncho tarp atmo

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 13:02
timberland boots
timberland boots's picture
(Reply to #47)

iwillbe wrote:
If I were being seriously serious about carrying spare hydro disc supplies, then I'd say no, it wouldn't take up much space. A reservoir / injector is about the size of two clif bars packed right, and precut and capped hoses could be tucked along the inner edges of a bag, disappearing into the lining for all intents and purposes. If you're using DOT fluid, than damn, I dunno, do Tyvek clean suits pack down small?

Sure, or you could just use mechanical dicks and carry an even more compact loop of steel cable and be done with it.

As for carrying spare brake calipers, I wouldn't do that because it takes up too much space and weight, so it's a calculated risk that most people take when viewed against the impracticality of carrying a spare set of brake calipers. Carrying a length of steel cable is more or less without cost in terms of weight/space capacity on the other hand.

Mechanical brakes work fine and it's an added bonus that they're easy to service with very limited tools. I honestly don't really understand what your objection even is. Nobody is trying to take away your hydraulic brakes

Anal Beads Al-Qaeda Ball Gag NAMBLA

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 13:50
cousinmosquito
cousinmosquito's picture
(Reply to #48)

timberland boots wrote:
iwillbe wrote:
If I were being seriously serious about carrying spare hydro disc supplies, then I'd say no, it wouldn't take up much space. A reservoir / injector is about the size of two clif bars packed right, and precut and capped hoses could be tucked along the inner edges of a bag, disappearing into the lining for all intents and purposes. If you're using DOT fluid, than damn, I dunno, do Tyvek clean suits pack down small?

Sure, or you could just use mechanical dicks and carry an even more compact loop of steel cable and be done with it.

As for carrying spare brake calipers, I wouldn't do that because it takes up too much space and weight, so it's a calculated risk that most people take when viewed against the impracticality of carrying a spare set of brake calipers. Carrying a length of steel cable is more or less without cost in terms of weight/space capacity on the other hand.

Mechanical brakes work fine and it's an added bonus that they're easy to service with very limited tools. I honestly don't really understand what your objection even is. Nobody is trying to take away your hydraulic brakes

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 14:22
mdilthey
mdilthey's picture

The image of someone sitting in the woods with a headlamp trying to bleed hydraulic brakes is hilarious

26/M/41t N/W

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 14:26
ckd
ckd's picture

Man, you guys sure like planning for things that are very likely never going to happen.

It's probably smart to carry an extra set of handlebars too. I've bent a set in a crash before.

-is a sandwich
-is a REAL doctor

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 16:07

Pages