Tarck Approved database

324 posts / 0 new
Last post
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture
(Reply to #251)

aek wrote:
+1 for staple racks. Even people who fuck it up can't really fuck it up and if everyone Sheldon locks you can fit 4 bikes to each staple.

yeah!

unlike most extra-designed models, a staple is especially difficult to lock to by just your front wheel

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Wed, 09/13/2017 - 15:20
b-roll
b-roll's picture

Probably goes in the tire thread, but what's a good 28mm 700c tire for durability followed by supple happiness for a commuter?

I love the Continental GP400 IIs, but it ain't gonna fit inside a fender on the frame in question.
Gatorskin nominal 28s have been great for me but apparently I'm totally missing out by not getting some other similar tire I'm not aware of.

"You know it's dumb. I know it's dumb. But fuck it, I still love it."

Mon, 09/18/2017 - 18:31
guccipolo

Pasela Protite club over here

Mon, 09/18/2017 - 22:39
wesbarf
wesbarf's picture

I wound up going with staple racks from Huntco Site Furnishings.

Pretty cheap, and you can get them powdercoated! They'll probably look like shit pretty quick, but I can't not get things in bright colors.

Mon, 09/18/2017 - 23:39
bobbythehawk
bobbythehawk's picture
(Reply to #255)

b-roll wrote:
Probably goes in the tire thread, but what's a good 28mm 700c tire for durability followed by supple happiness for a commuter?

I love the Continental GP400 IIs, but it ain't gonna fit inside a fender on the frame in question.
Gatorskin nominal 28s have been great for me but apparently I'm totally missing out by not getting some other similar tire I'm not aware of.

Michelin Power All Season & Rubino Pro Control are both great all weather/rain tires that dont ride like bricks. Sizing is more normal than Conti.

Tue, 09/19/2017 - 01:29
Andrew_Squirrel
Andrew_Squirrel's picture
(Reply to #256)

wesbarf wrote:
I wound up going with staple racks from Huntco Site Furnishings.

Pretty cheap, and you can get them powdercoated! They'll probably look like shit pretty quick, but I can't not get things in bright colors.

Pretty please post photos when installed?

Tue, 09/19/2017 - 14:09
crabbi
crabbi's picture
(Reply to #257)

bobbythehawk wrote:
b-roll wrote:
Probably goes in the tire thread, but what's a good 28mm 700c tire for durability followed by supple happiness for a commuter?

I love the Continental GP400 IIs, but it ain't gonna fit inside a fender on the frame in question.
Gatorskin nominal 28s have been great for me but apparently I'm totally missing out by not getting some other similar tire I'm not aware of.

Michelin Power All Season & Rubino Pro Control are both great all weather/rain tires that dont ride like bricks. Sizing is more normal than Conti.

Clement/Donnelly LGG is also a contender.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
if you're here, you probably fucked up somewhere along the line.

Tue, 09/19/2017 - 14:33
b-roll
b-roll's picture

Thanks friends, my commuter tire horizons are broadening. Checking out the Clements first.

"You know it's dumb. I know it's dumb. But fuck it, I still love it."

Tue, 09/19/2017 - 21:57
mander
mander's picture
(Reply to #259)

NOVELTYNAME wrote:
mander wrote:
NOVELTYNAME wrote:

on all new pages

Wed, 09/20/2017 - 11:08
crabbi
crabbi's picture
(Reply to #260)

b-roll wrote:
Thanks friends, my commuter tire horizons are broadening. Checking out the Clements first.

smiley

Sneaky Viking wrote:
if you're here, you probably fucked up somewhere along the line.

Wed, 09/20/2017 - 11:23
iwillbe
iwillbe's picture
(Reply to #261)

b-roll wrote:
Thanks friends, my commuter tire horizons are broadening. Checking out the Clements first.

Dunno where you're at with tubeless, but I've found both Hutchinson's Sector and Schwalbe's G One to be pretty great in that general size. Easy to set up, too.

Wed, 09/20/2017 - 16:04
b-roll
b-roll's picture

I am tubeless ambivalent at this point. Not ready to learn the new tech when the old stuff is still working fine.
I have an office mate who regularly preaches the virtues of tubeless to me, to no avail.
But then again I'm still on 9 speed for all my geared bikes. Some people just can't be helped.

"You know it's dumb. I know it's dumb. But fuck it, I still love it."

Wed, 09/20/2017 - 19:45
jdsmooth
jdsmooth's picture

9s TL evangelist here
But I only think it makes sense if you're tire shooping; wear-out what you got.

Five-foot drops at speed on unstable terrain? Yep.

Thu, 09/21/2017 - 11:02
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture
(Reply to #264)

b-roll wrote:
I am tubeless ambivalent at this point. Not ready to learn the new tech when the old stuff is still working fine.

Despite my "tubeless all the things" attitude, I still use regular clincher tires on my road bike. I get about one flat every 2 years or so, so I don't really see a need to change anything. Also I basically NEVER ride my road bike anymore, so there's that, too.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Thu, 09/21/2017 - 11:42
fixed
fixed's picture

i have gone to tubeless all the things except my winter bike with studded tires. if i get a flat through one of those beasts i'll be absolutely shocked. they are so un-supple that i think i could ride them without air in the tires and barely know the difference.

Thu, 09/21/2017 - 20:05
iwillbe
iwillbe's picture
(Reply to #266)

b-roll wrote:
I am tubeless ambivalent at this point. Not ready to learn the new tech when the old stuff is still working fine.
I have an office mate who regularly preaches the virtues of tubeless to me, to no avail.
But then again I'm still on 9 speed for all my geared bikes. Some people just can't be helped.

I was, too, until the start of this year, when I asked around here about hte state of road tubeless. I'd assumed that it was sort of an afterthought appended to tubeless mtb tire dvelopment, but it's really become good. Hutchinson Sectors in 28mm lasted 6 months with no flats and reasonably good wear on the rear tire - and they could get run at low, low pressures to boot.

The installation process for road tubeless is not bad. I've watched tutorials on making your own 2l soda bottle flash compressor on the assumption that I'd need it, but I've always just used a regular floor pump. wrangling the tire milk is a mild pain in the ass, but as long as you can recall the direction in which gravity acts on objects, and the behavior of liquids under gravitational pull, you're fine. Translation, I've only spilled latex water all over my lap once or twice.

So yeah, totally not a crucial technology ,but a real improvement from tubes.

Fri, 09/22/2017 - 16:36
b-roll
b-roll's picture

I guess one issue that bothers me, which might be fatbike specific or exaggerated, is the tendency for sealant to dry out or gob up over time. I have too many bikes and I can barely keep up with chain replacement--I like being able to take a bike down after 6 months, air up the tires and take off without wondering what's gone sour in there.

"You know it's dumb. I know it's dumb. But fuck it, I still love it."

Fri, 09/22/2017 - 20:34
Andrew_Squirrel
Andrew_Squirrel's picture

Tubeless appears to shift the extra effort towards at-home verification instead of in-field repair.
It all depends on which you prefer. I get stressed out trying to replace a tube on the shoulder of a busy road while a crew of friends tap their watches.
I'd much prefer to never experience that and spend my time in the workshop keeping the tubeless bikes maintained.

Fri, 09/22/2017 - 20:49
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture
(Reply to #269)

Andrew_Squirrel wrote:
Tubeless appears to shift the extra effort towards at-home verification instead of in-field repair.
It all depends on which you prefer. I get stressed out trying to replace a tube on the shoulder of a busy road while a crew of friends tap their watches.
I'd much prefer to never experience that and spend my time in the workshop keeping the tubeless bikes maintained.

That's a really good way to explain it.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Fri, 09/22/2017 - 22:02
iwillbe
iwillbe's picture
(Reply to #270)

b-roll wrote:
I guess one issue that bothers me, which might be fatbike specific or exaggerated, is the tendency for sealant to dry out or gob up over time. I have too many bikes and I can barely keep up with chain replacement--I like being able to take a bike down after 6 months, air up the tires and take off without wondering what's gone sour in there.

I suspect that 6 months would be too long, but if you're using a commuter bike at least weekly, I can't imagine it would be a huge problem. I put maybe two ounces of sealant in a 28mm tire, and months later it was still nice and liquid inside.
I mean look, you do you, I don't work for a tire company, I'm just really pleased by how well road tubeless works.

Sat, 09/23/2017 - 00:08
schultzor
schultzor's picture
(Reply to #271)

fixed wrote:
winter bike with studded tires. if i get a flat through one of those beasts i'll be absolutely shocked.

Have done this, construction staples can best a Hakkapelita if you hit one dead on. Changing a flat at 10deg F sucks.

Sat, 09/23/2017 - 16:07
cousinmosquito
cousinmosquito's picture
(Reply to #272)

b-roll wrote:
I guess one issue that bothers me, which might be fatbike specific or exaggerated, is the tendency for sealant to dry out or gob up over time. I have too many bikes and I can barely keep up with chain replacement--I like being able to take a bike down after 6 months, air up the tires and take off without wondering what's gone sour in there.

Same. Down to 10 bikes now so it's less of an issue, and I am still swapping tires around on them. Also only 2 of them above 9 speed.

More wonderful than you can believe it

Sat, 09/23/2017 - 16:29
b-roll
b-roll's picture

to the tubeful tires deadenders thread then....

"You know it's dumb. I know it's dumb. But fuck it, I still love it."

Sat, 09/23/2017 - 19:33
heavymetal
heavymetal's picture
(Reply to #274)

iwillbe wrote:
I mean look, you do you, I don't work for a tire company, I'm just really pleased by how well road tubeless works.

I'm at this point too.
Had a local bikepacking bro complaining of multiple flats on whatever previous-gen tyres he was using. I asked him why not road tubeless, and his thinking is he has to carry tubes anyway so what's the point? I leave it at that, I'm not gonna be an evangelist.

Sun, 09/24/2017 - 23:39
halbritt
halbritt's picture

added a sheet on booze

...shift like jesus making one set of footprints in the sand in your time of need

Mon, 09/25/2017 - 00:26
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

Put the $200 bar on there

"Folks want options!"

Mon, 09/25/2017 - 01:22
halbritt
halbritt's picture

I did.

...shift like jesus making one set of footprints in the sand in your time of need

Mon, 09/25/2017 - 02:21
fixed
fixed's picture
(Reply to #278)

schultzor wrote:
fixed wrote:
winter bike with studded tires. if i get a flat through one of those beasts i'll be absolutely shocked.

Have done this, construction staples can best a Hakkapelita if you hit one dead on. Changing a flat at 10deg F sucks.

if i flat that bike in 10F weather i'm just going to throw it in the bushes and take an uber home.

Wed, 09/27/2017 - 13:04
mdilthey
mdilthey's picture

High Mileage Steve ran tubeless for the first time this winter, after telling all of us for three years+ that he would never do so because he wants to be able to quickly change a flat with a fresh tube.

Now he's converted and if it's good enough for his ~600 miles a week, it's good enough for me.

I think I get consumer-y with new tires once every year or so, so by the time my sealant is gobbin' I'm onto a new set anyways. I've had great luck ebaying used fatbike/plusbike tires.

26/M/41t N/W

Sun, 10/15/2017 - 12:37
Rusty Piton
Rusty Piton's picture
(Reply to #280)

NOVELTYNAME wrote:
mander wrote:
NOVELTYNAME wrote:

on all new pages

emor wrote:
Bicycle commuting is the worst way to get anywhere except for all the other ways.

Mon, 10/16/2017 - 11:10
kmcdon
kmcdon's picture
(Reply to #281)

mdilthey wrote:
High Mileage Steve ran tubeless for the first time this winter, after telling all of us for three years+ that he would never do so because he wants to be able to quickly change a flat with a fresh tube.

Now he's converted and if it's good enough for his ~600 miles a week, it's good enough for me.

I think I get consumer-y with new tires once every year or so, so by the time my sealant is gobbin' I'm onto a new set anyways. I've had great luck ebaying used fatbike/plusbike tires.

Can nates and marge lite collabos be tubeless'm
?

Mon, 10/16/2017 - 11:44
iwillbe
iwillbe's picture

did imoscardotcom quit posting after he started the database? If so, quality mic drop.

Mon, 10/16/2017 - 15:09
mdilthey
mdilthey's picture
(Reply to #283)

kmcdon wrote:
mdilthey wrote:
High Mileage Steve ran tubeless for the first time this winter, after telling all of us for three years+ that he would never do so because he wants to be able to quickly change a flat with a fresh tube.

Now he's converted and if it's good enough for his ~600 miles a week, it's good enough for me.

I think I get consumer-y with new tires once every year or so, so by the time my sealant is gobbin' I'm onto a new set anyways. I've had great luck ebaying used fatbike/plusbike tires.

Can nates and marge lite collabos be tubeless'm
?

No, but 45NRTH work so well if you can get the bead set.

I deflated my 45NRTH tires (tubed, with a taped rim) ((don't ask)) yesterday, and when the bead popped off there was a "WHOOSH" as the tire filled back up with air once the seal was broken. I guess because deflating the tube inside created a pressure vaccuum. But it was nice confirmation that the seal was good because there was never any sealant in the tire.

26/M/41t N/W

Thu, 10/26/2017 - 15:26
kmcdon
kmcdon's picture

Word. I still have a season or so left on my Nates so I'm gonna hold off

Thu, 10/26/2017 - 16:26
Rusty Piton
Rusty Piton's picture

I really like the S Ground Controls on my Fartboy. They set up tubeless easy with a compressor.

emor wrote:
Bicycle commuting is the worst way to get anywhere except for all the other ways.

Thu, 10/26/2017 - 16:38
kmcdon
kmcdon's picture

Couldn't find any mention of decaleur fuckery on the DB.

Anyone got a go-to? One that comes in black? (I'd really like it to be black.) I just got my ozette in the mail (for the hunter/gatherer) and it's very obvious that a decaleur will be required.

Mon, 11/13/2017 - 14:01
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

That’s a spot in the niche cycling market that needs more attention atmo

"Folks want options!"

Mon, 11/13/2017 - 14:37
yummygooey

I really do not like my Berthoud decaleur. I find it to be noisy and finicky to setup. An interference fit or something clever like using Ortlieb hardware seems like a better design.

I liked the VO one when I had it on my GR. Yes, it'll break after awhile. But it's also only like $20. Just carry a couple spare zipties for that day.

Mon, 11/13/2017 - 14:44
jamesacklin
jamesacklin's picture

I have the silly VO Randonneur Front Rack with Integrated Decaleur, Cantilever integrated one, which I belt-and-suspenders to the handlebars with a toe strap. It's dumb, don't get it.

Mon, 11/13/2017 - 16:07
kmcdon
kmcdon's picture

damnit. the VO one looks like bullshit

http://theradavist.com/2016/06/my-home-hacked-thomson-and-ortlieb-decaleur-morgan-taylor/

might just have to whip something like this up, minus the $100 thomson bullshit

Mon, 11/13/2017 - 16:10
Blakey
Blakey's picture
(Reply to #291)

kmcdon wrote:
damnit. the VO one looks like bullshit

http://theradavist.com/2016/06/my-home-hacked-thomson-and-ortlieb-decaleur-morgan-taylor/

might just have to whip something like this up, minus the $100 thomson bullshit

talk to fred, he designed this for cyclefab to make I believe. Just needs an ortlieb rail for the bag. The aluminium piece is a seatclamp with rack eyelets that costs a couple bucks.

Mon, 11/13/2017 - 16:26
jamesacklin
jamesacklin's picture

Maybe this should go in another thread, but I've been thinking about going KLICKfix:

Then taking their "handlebar bike bag Aluminum Bracket," cutting the side struts, and affixing to the bag with eyelet bolts or small p-clamps:

The Paloma comes with this setup, but the Ozette is significantly wider or I'd just sew leather patches to the sides of the Ozette and call it a day.

Mon, 11/13/2017 - 16:30
yummygooey

I need something like that Fred design but made to fit the Berthoud two bolt dongle that bolts to stems.

Mon, 11/13/2017 - 16:33
kmcdon
kmcdon's picture
(Reply to #294)

Blakey wrote:
kmcdon wrote:
damnit. the VO one looks like bullshit

http://theradavist.com/2016/06/my-home-hacked-thomson-and-ortlieb-decaleur-morgan-taylor/

might just have to whip something like this up, minus the $100 thomson bullshit

talk to fred, he designed this for cyclefab to make I believe. Just needs an ortlieb rail for the bag. The aluminium piece is a seatclamp with rack eyelets that costs a couple bucks.

This one looks pretty good

Mon, 11/13/2017 - 16:34
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture
(Reply to #295)

kmcdon wrote:
damnit. the VO one looks like bullshit

http://theradavist.com/2016/06/my-home-hacked-thomson-and-ortlieb-decaleur-morgan-taylor/

might just have to whip something like this up, minus the $100 thomson bullshit

My NFE has something very similar, made from a Minora accessory mount, mounted to the stem, and a Lezyne pump bracket affixed via a 6" wooden ruler to my Swift box. It was a necessity, since the NFE headtube is so big that, even with a slammed, negative-rise stem, my position is still way higher than I'd prefer, so there was absolutely no room for a Velo Orange decaleur.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Mon, 11/13/2017 - 16:44
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture
(Reply to #296)

yummygooey wrote:
I need something like that Fred design but made to fit the Berthoud two bolt dongle that bolts to stems.

the ortlieb hook design doesn't work so well when the rail needs to be directly under the handlebar (unless rivendell bar height)

I've got another plan that should work way better for hanging off of stem faceplates, gotta do a special order of unlisted Topeak hardware through backalley to get all the pieces

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Tue, 11/14/2017 - 05:58
yummygooey

Let me know if you need some product testing done! I've got that weird custom stem with mounts brazed to the bottom specifically for the Berthoud dongle, bottom right piece here:

Tue, 11/14/2017 - 10:19
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

Hanging things off stem faceplates always seemed suspect to me, expecially if you overload like I tend to

"Folks want options!"

Tue, 11/14/2017 - 11:31
Andrew_Squirrel
Andrew_Squirrel's picture
(Reply to #299)

yummygooey wrote:
I've got that weird custom stem with mounts brazed to the bottom specifically for the Berthoud dongle

you have a photo of that on the internets?

Tue, 11/14/2017 - 16:08
Andrew_Squirrel
Andrew_Squirrel's picture
(Reply to #300)

NOVELTYNAME wrote:
Hanging things off stem faceplates always seemed suspect to me, expecially if you overload like I tend to

It threads directly into the stem and pinches the faceplate in the process. If the decaleur is holding any static weight you are doing it wrong.

Tue, 11/14/2017 - 16:09

Pages