Talk to me about brown tires. Specifically 700 x 26-30c ones.

51 posts / 0 new
Last post
room203
room203's picture
Talk to me about brown tires. Specifically 700 x 26-30c ones.

Hey Tarck! Been a while...

So I have a wife now, who was my former sup roommate, which is insane and awesome.

I am building a wifebike. It's going to be a 5 speed city bike. Frame is a random steel bike boom frame that said "Galaxy" on it. It's almost done and we are trying to keep it cheap but good. We want brown tires on it. We ordered some Schwalbe Little Big Bens from Rivendell and they were a no go at 38c. I honestly didn't think the frame was that tight. So I think 30 would fit in it, but might be pushing it.

Anyway.

In the running right now are:

Others I've come across are Gran Compes, both the Ene Ciclo and these plain ones - http://www.tracksupermarket.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=512 which I like, but don't like the price for such a plain tire that is also a little too skinny for a city bike. Fyxation makes some brown ones but I don't like the whitewall. Soma does one, but they're all out of stock. Then there is the Schwalbe Durando but I can't find those anywhere either.

We don't really want to spend $45 per tire, so the Schwalbe Spicers for $26 each are looking pretty good, but we also really love the Fairweathers and would spend the money on those if I can find a US source for them so we don't have to spend $30 for shipping and wait for them to come from Japan.

Any help on tracking down some reasonably priced 26-30c brown tires is very appreciated.

Tue, 10/27/2015 - 23:31
Bahamontes
Bahamontes's picture

The whole tire has to be brown, or brown/tan/gum sidewalls would work?
If so, options open considerably.

If not, I swear there was a sw8 fixxxay tire that came in brown. Let me think on it, but probably rides like a turd.

Wed, 10/28/2015 - 00:02
rauce
rauce's picture

Fairweather is Blue Lug's house brand (Blue Lug is a bike shop in Tokyo), so it's probably going to be hard to find them stateside.

Wed, 10/28/2015 - 00:19
Goddamnit Gunther
Goddamnit Gunther's picture
(Reply to #3)

Bahamontes wrote:
The whole tire has to be brown, or brown/tan/gum sidewalls would work?
If so, options open considerably.

If not, I swear there was a sw8 fixxxay tire that came in brown. Let me think on it, but probably rides like a turd.

I remember these fuckin things

Endpoint wrote:
turdly buttways

Wed, 10/28/2015 - 00:26
eric_ssucks
eric_ssucks's picture

Just get some cheap skinwalls (ex: Nomads) and pretend they are brown. Black is like brown only darker.

Wed, 10/28/2015 - 01:25
Shortpants
Shortpants's picture

Definitely just go with nomad gum walls.

Wed, 10/28/2015 - 02:10
Larry Winget
Larry Winget's picture

...or Pasela, or Clement Strada in 28.

The Pitbull of Personal Development®

Wed, 10/28/2015 - 02:32
blahlah
Wed, 10/28/2015 - 02:48
biek

go back and reread the op.

pappaheugwang wrote:
u mad bro?

Wed, 10/28/2015 - 03:08
blahlah

Right, never mind, sorry. Still, though...

Wed, 10/28/2015 - 03:10
hiljentaa
hiljentaa's picture

Colored tires are dumb and you are dumb for wanting them.

Wed, 10/28/2015 - 09:28
Whippin Skidz
Whippin Skidz's picture

Tanwall Nomads in 700c are no more

Wed, 10/28/2015 - 10:45
Bahamontes
Bahamontes's picture
(Reply to #12)

gunther wrote:
Bahamontes wrote:
The whole tire has to be brown, or brown/tan/gum sidewalls would work?
If so, options open considerably.

If not, I swear there was a sw8 fixxxay tire that came in brown. Let me think on it, but probably rides like a turd.

I remember these fuckin things

Bingo. I'm guessing they ride like a skinny RibMo, and who doesn't want that?

Wed, 10/28/2015 - 11:21
room203
room203's picture
(Reply to #13)

Bahamontes wrote:
gunther wrote:
Bahamontes wrote:
The whole tire has to be brown, or brown/tan/gum sidewalls would work?
If so, options open considerably.

If not, I swear there was a sw8 fixxxay tire that came in brown. Let me think on it, but probably rides like a turd.

I remember these fuckin things

Bingo. I'm guessing they ride like a skinny RibMo, and who doesn't want that?

Mmhmm those are the fyxation ones we didn't like because of the shade. Has to be matchy match with the Brooks. This is almost a form over function build. Gonna be Pinterest worthy. She would not be cool with black tires with brown sidewalls although that is a good idea.

rollin

Wed, 10/28/2015 - 12:02
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture
(Reply to #14)

room203 wrote:
This is almost a form over function build.

bruh
it is a form over function bicycle if you are looking for pinterest tires.
i mean

"Folks want options!"

Wed, 10/28/2015 - 12:08
eric_ssucks
eric_ssucks's picture

Match with the Brooks? Buy some cheap shit tires and spray paint them the right color for photos because that's as stupid as matching your tires to your saddle. Then put good tires on and ride that bike.

REAL TALK

Wed, 10/28/2015 - 16:38
emor
emor's picture

Fuck matching your tires with your saddle. That is not a tarck approved sentiment.

Seriously, fuck it. It's a dumb idea. Buy decent, cheap tires an be a happier/better person.

"my main life goal is to have a dirtbag camper van with a bunch of bikes on it, go camping every vacation forever" -- me

Wed, 10/28/2015 - 16:43
heavymetal
heavymetal's picture

Just get a black Brooks, ya dummy.

Wed, 10/28/2015 - 16:59
buffoon
buffoon's picture

happy wief happy life
get her what she wants

Lippy wrote:
a measured amount of muscle and hate when installing should keep that from happening.

Wed, 10/28/2015 - 17:29
eric_ssucks
eric_ssucks's picture
(Reply to #19)

buffoon wrote:
happy wief happy life
get her what she wants

Happy wife is a happy life, but sometimes reality happens. This is one of those times. "Here, I found you some options" then you fuck off and let her figure it out.

Wed, 10/28/2015 - 18:16
biek
(Reply to #20)

room203 wrote:
This is almost a form over function build. Gonna be Pinterest worthy.

:facepalm:

pappaheugwang wrote:
u mad bro?

Wed, 10/28/2015 - 18:22
Larry Winget
Larry Winget's picture

Well, here ya go.

http://store.somafab.com/sonewxptidic.html

For a minute I was like "Why the hell am I on Soma's web site?" Then I realized tarck sent me there smiley

The Pitbull of Personal Development®

Thu, 10/29/2015 - 03:12
room203
room203's picture
(Reply to #22)

emor wrote:
Fuck matching your tires with your saddle. That is not a tarck approved sentiment.

Seriously, fuck it. It's a dumb idea. Buy decent, cheap tires an be a happier/better person.

Since when is matching not a Tarck approved sentiment?? Man times have changed.

rollin

Thu, 10/29/2015 - 21:03
room203
room203's picture
(Reply to #23)

Larry Winget wrote:
Well, here ya go.

http://store.somafab.com/sonewxptidic.html

For a minute I was like "Why the hell am I on Soma's web site?" Then I realized tarck sent me there smiley

Sigh I know.. If those were a lighter shade this thread would not exist.

If it was my bike yeah I'd throw paselas or randos on it and call it a day.

rollin

Thu, 10/29/2015 - 21:05
hiljentaa
hiljentaa's picture
(Reply to #24)

hiljentaa wrote:
Colored tires are dumb and you are dumb for wanting them.

Thu, 10/29/2015 - 21:12
Endpoint
Endpoint's picture

brown tires? dsob.

Thu, 10/29/2015 - 22:09
Larry Winget
Larry Winget's picture
(Reply to #26)

room203 wrote:
Larry Winget wrote:
Well, here ya go.

http://store.somafab.com/sonewxptidic.html

For a minute I was like "Why the hell am I on Soma's web site?" Then I realized tarck sent me there smiley

Sigh I know.. If those were a lighter shade this thread would not exist.

The Pitbull of Personal Development®

Thu, 10/29/2015 - 22:19
emor
emor's picture
(Reply to #27)

room203 wrote:
emor wrote:
Fuck matching your tires with your saddle. That is not a tarck approved sentiment.

Seriously, fuck it. It's a dumb idea. Buy decent, cheap tires an be a happier/better person.

Since when is matching not a Tarck approved sentiment?? Man times have changed.

It's the non-black tires that is awful, not the matching part

"my main life goal is to have a dirtbag camper van with a bunch of bikes on it, go camping every vacation forever" -- me

Fri, 10/30/2015 - 17:30
joy of vaping
joy of vaping's picture

TC i would ride those green michelin cross tires though

Fri, 10/30/2015 - 18:53
room203
room203's picture

rollin

Mon, 02/08/2016 - 23:40
bikes
bikes's picture
(Reply to #30)

room203 wrote:
bump

looks good. borrow it and go shred on some group rides

Tue, 02/09/2016 - 10:57
eric_ssucks
eric_ssucks's picture

that's the nicest shithouse college commuter beater I've ever seen.

Tue, 02/09/2016 - 11:40
emor
emor's picture

you should get some black tires for it

"my main life goal is to have a dirtbag camper van with a bunch of bikes on it, go camping every vacation forever" -- me

Tue, 02/09/2016 - 14:03
emor
emor's picture

or brown cable housing

I mean come on

"my main life goal is to have a dirtbag camper van with a bunch of bikes on it, go camping every vacation forever" -- me

Tue, 02/09/2016 - 14:03
buffoon
buffoon's picture

and dynamo

Lippy wrote:
a measured amount of muscle and hate when installing should keep that from happening.

Tue, 02/09/2016 - 14:17
eric_ssucks
eric_ssucks's picture

and some fenders. what are you, a barbarian?

Tue, 02/09/2016 - 15:17
Goddamnit Gunther
Goddamnit Gunther's picture

And why handles on a basket that's zip tied to the rack?

Endpoint wrote:
turdly buttways

Tue, 02/09/2016 - 15:39
joy of vaping
joy of vaping's picture

the basket handles are to portage the bike

Tue, 02/09/2016 - 17:39
Larry Winget
Larry Winget's picture

Well, it is as advertised. I will give it that.

The Pitbull of Personal Development®

Tue, 02/09/2016 - 18:47
room203
room203's picture

Taking this all with grains of salt smiley but here are some answers anyway:

emor wrote:
or brown cable housing

I mean come on

I tried!! I originally got white but that looked pretty silly. I offered to get brown, but she wanted black.

eric_ssucks wrote:
and some fenders. what are you, a barbarian?

I really want to put some hammered fenders on there but she doesn't like how they look.

Goddamnit Gunther wrote:
And why handles on a basket that's zip tied to the rack?

While the handles are functional in some instances (i.e., not shopping), they are more for aesthetic reasons; that was the sole reason she wanted that particular basket. coz copper. The zipties are hopefully temporary. I want to figure out some kind of quick release mechanism for attaching/detaching it (other than bungee cords), because it's a bit of a nuisance when she's trying to get on the bike and it doesnt need to be on there all the time.

rollin

Tue, 02/09/2016 - 18:53
oogens
oogens's picture

Lol saddle doesn't match tires which don't match grips

Tarck is about making you regret photographing your bike

Tue, 02/09/2016 - 19:11
room203
room203's picture
(Reply to #41)

oogenssssss wrote:

Tarck is about making you regret photographing your bike

its all about that lighting and color temperature!

like here the saddle and grip difference isnt that bad, i mean, i can live with it.

see ya later dudes
*heads over to rivendellforums....*

rollin

Tue, 02/09/2016 - 19:20
ShartAttack
ShartAttack's picture

I for one applaud your dedication to meeting your wife's desires, even if she does have poor taste

Former RAGBRAI enthusiast

Tue, 02/09/2016 - 21:19
Goddamnit Gunther
Goddamnit Gunther's picture
(Reply to #43)

ShartAttack wrote:
I for one applaud your dedication to meeting your wife's desires, even if she does have poor taste

I lold

But yes

Endpoint wrote:
turdly buttways

Tue, 02/09/2016 - 22:20
Endpoint
Endpoint's picture

If she actually enjoys riding it he's doing better than half the schmucks on here with their failed wifebieks. Amirite Gunther?

Tue, 02/09/2016 - 23:13
room203
room203's picture

she really enjoys it. it's pretty nice to go ride with her. she does kinda hate the brooks, but wanted it because of its looks, and i keep telling her all she has to do is ride more and it will form to her butt and be the best thing ever.

rollin

Wed, 02/10/2016 - 00:25
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture

Threads like this make me glad my girlfriend's main bicycle request was that it get her to work safely, and has shifters where her hands are.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Wed, 02/10/2016 - 00:43
eric_ssucks
eric_ssucks's picture
(Reply to #47)

Goddamnit Gunther wrote:
ShartAttack wrote:
I for one applaud your dedication to meeting your wife's desires, even if she does have poor taste

I lold

But yes

Seriously

Wed, 02/10/2016 - 01:10
lofarkas
lofarkas's picture

Honestly, it would look better with black tyres. And if you're gonna have a basket on a pretty wifebike, why not put it on the bars?

Still,

Endpoint wrote:
If she actually enjoys riding it he's doing better than half the schmucks on here with their failed wifebieks.

Wed, 02/10/2016 - 19:15
room203
room203's picture
(Reply to #49)

The rear basket was at her request too, since she thinks front baskets are silly.

I personally dig the bike, but im biased of course and maybe i too have terrible taste. i just dont hate the fake vintage look. the brown tire idea came from looking at pre-war balloon tire bikes.

I should consider this a win since you guys are just commenting on aesthetics, not criticizing the build.

you should see the girlfriend bike i built back in like 08 that had white tires and matte aluminum deepVs smiley

rollin

Sat, 02/13/2016 - 10:46
eric_ssucks
eric_ssucks's picture

How's that "vintage" front chainring working out? Chain fall off yet?

Mon, 02/22/2016 - 11:54