Gear Recommendations

979 posts / 0 new
Last post
imoscardotcom
imoscardotcom's picture

soft. ugh, really dont want to be that guy that goes tot he LBS to try shit on, then order from nashbar 1/2 the price.

Mon, 11/17/2014 - 10:41
ShartAttack
ShartAttack's picture

Anybody laid hands on that Surly wool jersey? Thinking about asking for some sorta fancy merino sweater for Christmas this year

Former RAGBRAI enthusiast

Mon, 11/17/2014 - 21:29
Wintage Townie
Wintage Townie's picture
(Reply to #103)

ShartAttack wrote:
Anybody laid hands on that Surly wool jersey? Thinking about asking for some sorta fancy merino sweater for Christmas this year

The quality is high, but the sizing is from another planet. Definitely "vanity sizing," or just fat-dudes-at-Surly sizing, and they're super short. Maybe they've fixed all of this, because my Surly jersey is like 7 years old.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Mon, 11/17/2014 - 21:36
ShartAttack
ShartAttack's picture

I think they revamped the longsleeve jersey a couple years ago. I am definitely Surly-sized so the fit isn't an issue.

Former RAGBRAI enthusiast

Mon, 11/17/2014 - 21:46
Wintage Townie
Wintage Townie's picture

It's the long sleeve that I am talking about. So yeah, if the damn thing is long enough to not be a belly-shirt, they're pretty great.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Mon, 11/17/2014 - 22:14
imoscardotcom
imoscardotcom's picture

still haven't pulled the trigger on winter road shoes since the price is a lot to swallow.

tarck def recommends winter shoes over shoe covers though?

Wed, 11/19/2014 - 10:45
Todd
Todd's picture
(Reply to #107)

akasnowmaaan wrote:
Check this out. Clothing recommendations broken out in 10º F, wet and dry conditions.
http://www.civiacycles.com/whattowear/

this is cool, a good place to start, but also kind of a person to person thing imo.

Wed, 11/19/2014 - 12:16
ShartAttack
ShartAttack's picture
(Reply to #108)

Todd wrote:
akasnowmaaan wrote:
Check this out. Clothing recommendations broken out in 10º F, wet and dry conditions.
http://www.civiacycles.com/whattowear/

this is cool, a good place to start, but also kind of a person to person thing imo.

Love that dudes knickers. At a wet 60F he turns into some sort of Fred/juggalo hybrid

Former RAGBRAI enthusiast

Wed, 11/19/2014 - 13:05
Andrew_Squirrel
Andrew_Squirrel's picture
(Reply to #109)
Wed, 11/19/2014 - 15:56
Todd
Todd's picture

My 4+ year old nano flex leg warmers just shat the bed. Wouldnt mind something a little warmer. What do you say?

Sat, 11/22/2014 - 12:59
randsome beast
randsome beast's picture

HS I found an even better thread than the one I was looking for.

Anyone bought or had a look at the new pro team softshell jacket? Or have a worthy alternative for using well below the recommended temperature level? Race cape was OK last Winter but would be much better left for times it's warm enough to snow and does.

emor wrote:
RANDO LIFE IS LIFE ON THE EDGE

Sat, 12/27/2014 - 18:20
crowding
crowding's picture

Looking for a helmet mountable light for randonerd syle riding (so, reading cuesheet and illuminating reflective signs, not lighting up the road)

Want: compactness and battery life, no fucks given about lumens. UI should be good (like, turns on with same setting you used last, no cycling through 5 modes every time.) Using normal AAA batteries is good but will consider USB chargeable. Might be nice to have spot and diffuse beams.

ETA: along the same lines, anyone know of a cycle computer that is
* wired
* can edit the trip odometer to keep you in sync with the cuesheet
* can show the trip odometer on the big section of the display instead of always showing speed dammit

Tue, 12/30/2014 - 00:49
Andrew_Squirrel
Andrew_Squirrel's picture

I'm also in the market for rando cue sheet headlight.
I've been eyeing that new "Reactive" Petzel headlamp series that is apparently intelligent enough to know you are looking down at a map and reduces the light output.
Helmet mount: http://www.petzl.com/EN/Sport/SPECIALIZED-headlamps/FIXATION-ULTRA-POUR-CASQUE-DE-V%C3%89LO?l=INT#.VKMEQsAKA
Less expensive, less bulky intelligent light: http://www.petzl.com/EN/Sport/PERFORMANCE-headlamps/TIKKA-RXP?l=INT#.VKMEhsAKA

edit: ugh, looks like that helmet mount doesn't support that type of light. WTF Petzel, standardize your mounting!

Tue, 12/30/2014 - 15:03
Andrew_Squirrel
Andrew_Squirrel's picture

I think Hahn Rossman had something like this clipped on his watch band at the BQ meetup:
http://www.infmetry.com/home-decor/clip-anywhere-usb-rechargeable-led-light



Tue, 12/30/2014 - 15:11
Andrew_Squirrel
Andrew_Squirrel's picture

For the ultra nerd you could get one of these and zip tie it to a helmet:
http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-ClipMate-Rechargeable-Clip-On-Light/dp/B00HZAX7YO

Tue, 12/30/2014 - 15:15
Orc
Orc's picture
(Reply to #116)

Andrew_Squirrel wrote:
For the ultra nerd you could get one of these and zip tie it to your handlebars

ftfy

Tue, 12/30/2014 - 15:20
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

I have a black diamond headlight. Usb rechargeable and has a bunch of functions. Got it for $20. It works.

"Folks want options!"

Tue, 12/30/2014 - 15:31
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture
(Reply to #118)

crowding wrote:
ETA: along the same lines, anyone know of a cycle computer that is
* wired
* can edit the trip odometer to keep you in sync with the cuesheet

I have a cateye wired that does these two. Also has different wheel size function.

"Folks want options!"

Tue, 12/30/2014 - 15:33
Andrew_Squirrel
Andrew_Squirrel's picture
(Reply to #119)

Moncler Puffy Vest wrote:
I have a black diamond headlight. Usb rechargeable and has a bunch of functions. Got it for $20. It works.

Do you just expand the stretchy band around your helmet? I've tried this with my petzel but it doesn't like the curve on the front of my more aerodynamic & vented helmet.

Tue, 12/30/2014 - 15:44
thurston
thurston's picture

Get your "Chime" on

Rusty Piton wrote:
The only thing I hate more than ukulele covers are fucking acapella covers

Tue, 12/30/2014 - 16:01
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture
(Reply to #121)

Andrew_Squirrel wrote:
Moncler Puffy Vest wrote:
I have a black diamond headlight. Usb rechargeable and has a bunch of functions. Got it for $20. It works.

Do you just expand the stretchy band around your helmet? I've tried this with my petzel but it doesn't like the curve on the front of my more aerodynamic & vented helmet.

NO
i remove the band and zip tie to helmet or wear the band around my neck, loose, for nighttime cue reading

"Folks want options!"

Tue, 12/30/2014 - 16:28
jeffro
jeffro's picture

I bought a bunch of little Sigma lights for two bucks each, just for the batteries, really. But I took the little velcro mounting band on one, wrapped it around a little chunk of foam, and jammed it down into the top front vent in my helmet. Looks like it belongs there.

http://www.blueskycycling.com/product293_9_-Sigma-Sport-Micro-W-Safety-Light.htm

Tue, 12/30/2014 - 16:43
Endpoint
Endpoint's picture

Far more cash than little headlamps but you may get more use out of something a bit more powerful. I have messed around with these at the shop. Nice design anyway.

http://www.lightandmotion.com/choose-your-light/vis-360

Tue, 12/30/2014 - 20:07
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture
(Reply to #124)

crowding wrote:
ETA: along the same lines, anyone know of a cycle computer that is
* wired
* can edit the trip odometer to keep you in sync with the cuesheet
* can show the trip odometer on the big section of the display instead of always showing speed dammit

VDO is the only company not fucking this up AFAICT

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Tue, 12/30/2014 - 22:12
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture
(Reply to #125)

Andrew_Squirrel wrote:
I'm also in the market for rando cue sheet headlight

for the cue sheet why not a knog-style cyst on the bars?

they do make them with amber LEDs...

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Tue, 12/30/2014 - 22:14
that guy
that guy's picture

TC: I almost impulsed one of these from the checkout lane at Home Depot the other day.

Bikes suck. Don't ride one.

Tue, 12/30/2014 - 22:50
akasnowmaaan
akasnowmaaan's picture

That is un-ironically sweet.

bork bork bork

Wed, 12/31/2014 - 02:53
yummygooey

has anyone tried the giro empire vr90? the mountain empire with vibram sole. looking at them as a candidate for replacing my tired sidis sometime in 2015. they are spendy tho.

Wed, 12/31/2014 - 12:44
TimArchyLime
TimArchyLime's picture

Snarky Varking wrote:
Tarckbike- Where mile 11 means you're on a long ride.

Wed, 12/31/2014 - 20:06
randsome beast
randsome beast's picture

Pick up a forerunner 305 for way way cheaper and get a footpod? I'm biased as mine has outlasted three generations of edge computers.

emor wrote:
RANDO LIFE IS LIFE ON THE EDGE

Wed, 12/31/2014 - 20:23
TimArchyLime
TimArchyLime's picture

Where are you seeing a 305 for under $150?

Snarky Varking wrote:
Tarckbike- Where mile 11 means you're on a long ride.

Wed, 12/31/2014 - 20:35
randsome beast
randsome beast's picture

Apparently others share my dim view on the newer Garmin products judging by the price they are going for. Mine was $35, used twice w/all the things in original box off local CL!

This is spurious because the battery needs to stay charged. http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/spo/4727382524.html
This is not for $90 - footpod $25 more. http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/spo/4790192818.html
Again under $100 with all the things - no footpod. http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/spo/4806069196.html
NIB $80. http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ele/4806040659.html
Or just go here and see if something new pops up.

Prices reflect offseason up here is truly offseason. If you smile and ask nicely I can probably hook it up. smiley

emor wrote:
RANDO LIFE IS LIFE ON THE EDGE

Wed, 12/31/2014 - 20:56
yonderboy
yonderboy's picture
(Reply to #133)

thurston wrote:
Get your "Chime" on

Wed, 12/31/2014 - 23:18
TimArchyLime
TimArchyLime's picture
(Reply to #134)

rando wrote:
Apparently others share my dim view on the newer Garmin products judging by the price they are going for. Mine was $35, used twice w/all the things in original box off local CL!

This is spurious because the battery needs to stay charged. http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/spo/4727382524.html
This is not for $90 - footpod $25 more. http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/spo/4790192818.html
Again under $100 with all the things - no footpod. http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/spo/4806069196.html
NIB $80. http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ele/4806040659.html
Or just go here and see if something new pops up.

Prices reflect offseason up here is truly offseason. If you smile and ask nicely I can probably hook it up. smiley

Thanks for the offer, but I drunkenly pulled the trigger on the Tom Tom last night. Seems like Bluetooth is maybe becoming more of a standard than ant+ and I got the multisport for $100 with a gift card.

Snarky Varking wrote:
Tarckbike- Where mile 11 means you're on a long ride.

Thu, 01/01/2015 - 13:10
scrub
scrub's picture
(Reply to #135)

thurston wrote:
Get your "Chime" on

I appreciate this sentiment.

Fri, 01/02/2015 - 18:51
mander
mander's picture

TC that watchband thing looks kinda genius

Mon, 01/12/2015 - 03:15
Face
Face's picture

Looking for a lowrider front rack and panniers, I usually default to Jandd but what else is out there for a comparable price/quality? Looking at the low front rack and economy panniers, I'll be using it mainly for commuting, the occasional grocery run on the way home and maybe some pukebacking. I've had the Jandd stuff in the past and liked it, this is going on my doublecross.

Mr. Pubes wrote:
i fear that you are so lost in your own asshole that you may never be found again. do you have a flare gun? send for help.

Mon, 01/12/2015 - 21:26
Blakey
Blakey's picture

Tubus Tara
Ortlieb sport packer plus (I have and like) / Swift (too exxy?)

Mon, 01/12/2015 - 21:40
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture

def get a Tubus Tara

for panniers also look at VeloTransit

the fancier Ortliebs that use the spinning tool-free lower hook kinda suck to set up on lowrider racks

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Mon, 01/12/2015 - 22:08
Blakey
Blakey's picture

Apart from being MUSA/MSEA, is the hardware that much better? I haven't had any issues setting up my hooks.

The ortlieb citybike front rollers shipped (bike24) are under half the price of the velotransit pair, downsides: 12.5 vs 15L, fewer colour options. what else?

Mon, 01/12/2015 - 22:25
joy of vaping
joy of vaping's picture

was actually about to order a tara tonight. any reason to get an ergo instead? i think i saw that one on someone's bike here.

Mon, 01/12/2015 - 23:32
Blakey
Blakey's picture

Tara is lighter and cheaper. No reason not to.

I have an Ergo ;( (although I use that flat strap strut for the hooks on my panniers)

Mon, 01/12/2015 - 23:35
kevinwulf
kevinwulf's picture
(Reply to #143)

Blakey wrote:
Apart from being MUSA/MSEA, is the hardware that much better? I haven't had any issues setting up my hooks.

The ortlieb citybike front rollers shipped (bike24) are under half the price of the velotransit pair, downsides: 12.5 vs 15L, fewer colour options. what else?

Btw, Bike24 stopped shipping Ortlieb stuff to Aus in June or something. Wouldn't ship me my godammn $3 part. And most of the others (wiggle, crc, pbk) stopped too. I guess Richard kicked up a big stink. I think xx-cycle still do it. Maybe some of the other Germans?

Edit: sorry, thought Blakey was asking for himself. Guess you Americans can still get Ortlieb from wherever you hell you want to.

Tue, 01/13/2015 - 05:37
Todd
Todd's picture
(Reply to #144)

yummygooey wrote:
has anyone tried the giro empire vr90? the mountain empire with vibram sole. looking at them as a candidate for replacing my tired sidis sometime in 2015. they are spendy tho.

Im interested in this as well.

Wondering if I will get twice the mileage out of them as I have out of the privateers though, its not quite time to re-up on shoes but is it worth it to make that jump to the 250+ range?

Tue, 01/13/2015 - 08:04
randsome beast
randsome beast's picture

I keep wanting to look into this myself. Everything from the local trails to assholes making me take brand new Winter road shoes for free keep interrupting the mtb urge. Strongly suspect you either go all Hanseeno or pony up some shekels in today's market.

Going to ask this here despite knowing I'll probably just order it before some rando euro tarcker from the deep beyond comes back with a snappy answer.
I'm a skinny fucker that would happily be swallowed in a XS Pro team anything if it weren't for my shoulders. I want to get a transfer gilet for Winter layering purposes in as tight of a fit as possible. What I'm dying to know is if the XS is going to be cut for someone Todd's height or the more typical long armed 6' tall skinny fucker their racier cut stuff tends to be aimed at?

emor wrote:
RANDO LIFE IS LIFE ON THE EDGE

Tue, 01/13/2015 - 09:06
Todd
Todd's picture

rando, all the rapha xs stuff I have put on is short, like real short, almost too short on me. The transfer might be appropriate length for off the bike on me (not sure though, their other city stuff is still cut like a jersey), so that may mean that it would fit on the bike for you.

so I typed all that and then was like, shit they have sizing online so fuck rando... click the sizing tab

Back length on XS is 50-56cm which is collar to hem.

Tue, 01/13/2015 - 11:33
Rentable Faxmachine
Rentable Faxmachine's picture
(Reply to #147)

JUGE FREDD wrote:
def get a Tubus Tara

for panniers also look at VeloTransit

the fancier Ortliebs that use the spinning tool-free lower hook kinda suck to set up on lowrider racks

Fred speaks the truth about those hooks and low-riders. PITA.

Tue, 01/13/2015 - 11:53
Andrew_Squirrel
Andrew_Squirrel's picture
(Reply to #148)

Reasonable Facsimile wrote:
JUGE FREDD wrote:
def get a Tubus Tara

for panniers also look at VeloTransit

the fancier Ortliebs that use the spinning tool-free lower hook kinda suck to set up on lowrider racks

Fred speaks the truth about those hooks and low-riders. PITA.

I will third that notion. The Ortlieb are probably fine for standard bring-the-kitchen-sink-Adventure-Cycling-style touring but completely inappropriate for anything off-road or significantly bumpy. So glad Swift Industries came out with those junior ranger lowrider bags before Oregon Outback.
I upgraded my bag to the Arkel Cam-Lock hardware which works great and holds secure but is surprisingly heavy (pretty sure it weighs more than the rest of the bag). I think I was the only one in the group that upgraded and I can't remember anyone saying they wish they did the same upgrade.

Tue, 01/13/2015 - 13:10
Rentable Faxmachine
Rentable Faxmachine's picture

The combination of Tubus Tara low-riders, Ortlieb Front Roller panniers, and Avid BB7s is a bit of a nightmare. I'll end up attaching the fender stays to the low-rider bosses on the side of the fork blades just avoid the aforementioned clusterfuck.

Tue, 01/13/2015 - 13:15
Face
Face's picture

Dig the tubus rack. The swift jr rangers look sweet but kill my whole budget, I'm trying to keep the whole setup under $200. Any reason why i should get the swift over the ortleib? I don't need waterproof, just weather resistant. Not going to be doing much rain riding and anything that needs to be 100% dry will be in a dry sack anyways.

Mr. Pubes wrote:
i fear that you are so lost in your own asshole that you may never be found again. do you have a flare gun? send for help.

Tue, 01/13/2015 - 14:56

Pages