Tell Me What Bike To Get

191 posts / 0 new
Last post
Whippin Skidz
Whippin Skidz's picture

I've got a Haanjo, it's a bike. It goes where I point it and feels pretty comfortable. Room for tires is nice to have. It's a tall bike, I only have about a fistfull of seatpost on the 56cm model. It feels fairly similar to the Niner RLT.
I don't know how it would do in a CX race but it's felt fine on singletrack the couple times I've gone out. I know the two don't really compare but it's as close as I can get. Slack-ish ht kinda makes it feel less twitchy and a little less flickable imo, but that's what I was after.

Thu, 06/23/2016 - 16:13
fixed
fixed's picture

hm. less flickable is not what i'm after.

Thu, 06/23/2016 - 16:57
turpencat
turpencat's picture

johnnyraja wrote:
If you've never done it then yes, it's very surprising.

Fri, 06/24/2016 - 18:31
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture

Also isn't a Diamondback.

Includes Ultegra crank means that it's automatically a better value than the DB, but the handlebars are immediate pull-offs. Those Diamondback's HED wheels aren't the real thing - they're heavy, semi-decent OEM stuff with powder coated grey spokes. I'd take the Stan's over them any day, and I hate Stan's rims. Basically, that Niner is better than the Diamondback in every possible way, with both bikes still being great values.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Fri, 06/24/2016 - 21:07
Roundabout
Roundabout's picture
(Reply to #155)

Whoops, didn't see this until now... apologies!

iwillbe wrote:
1. Is there a good option for locking a semi-nice bike at Cal or around downtown Berkeley?

2. Most of the commuters I see on Wildcat / Canyon / Pinehurst etc are on road bikes in lycra carrying small backpacks. Maybe Bart in from Lafayette once a week to stock up on office clothes and buy an 11" Macbook Air? Schlepping a load up and down 1000' vertical of hillside switchbacks every day just doesn't sound fun to me, but what do I know.

3. I'm not sure where in Moraga you are, but I'd probably go Old San Pablo Dam Road to Wildcat to Shasta to Grizzly Peak, and then take Euclid straight to Cal or Marin straight to warp speed (20% avg grade?).

1. From what I've read the BikeLink system looks to be a solid option. Secure, electronically-accessible individual lockers at every Bart station (and several spots on campus) as well as a valet parking storefront at the Downtown Berkeley station (A few stores down from the SW corner of Shattuck/Allston). They cost $0.05-0.08 per hour and run through a card.

2. Yeah that is always an option, once I start going we'll get a sense for how heinous the (lightly) loaded trip is. I've carried this amount of load before and it's doable in a backpack or midsized messenger, but I've never been too happy with it for longer distances and want to give racklyfe a try.

3. I'll be off Ascot Dr which is right by the Rheem/Moraga Rd intersection. Euclid is definitely an option, haven't tried Centennial but that's been recommended to me as well as a pretty straight shot down past the botanical gardens and into campus.

Sat, 06/25/2016 - 12:23
curiousincident
curiousincident's picture

i came here to post in this thread

but in the process of composing my post figured it out on my own

thanks everybody

Mon, 06/27/2016 - 01:21
iwillbe
iwillbe's picture
(Reply to #157)

Roundabout wrote:
Whoops, didn't see this until now... apologies!

iwillbe wrote:
1. Is there a good option for locking a semi-nice bike at Cal or around downtown Berkeley?

2. Most of the commuters I see on Wildcat / Canyon / Pinehurst etc are on road bikes in lycra carrying small backpacks. Maybe Bart in from Lafayette once a week to stock up on office clothes and buy an 11" Macbook Air? Schlepping a load up and down 1000' vertical of hillside switchbacks every day just doesn't sound fun to me, but what do I know.

3. I'm not sure where in Moraga you are, but I'd probably go Old San Pablo Dam Road to Wildcat to Shasta to Grizzly Peak, and then take Euclid straight to Cal or Marin straight to warp speed (20% avg grade?).

1. From what I've read the BikeLink system looks to be a solid option. Secure, electronically-accessible individual lockers at every Bart station (and several spots on campus) as well as a valet parking storefront at the Downtown Berkeley station (A few stores down from the SW corner of Shattuck/Allston). They cost $0.05-0.08 per hour and run through a card.

2. Yeah that is always an option, once I start going we'll get a sense for how heinous the (lightly) loaded trip is. I've carried this amount of load before and it's doable in a backpack or midsized messenger, but I've never been too happy with it for longer distances and want to give racklyfe a try.

3. I'll be off Ascot Dr which is right by the Rheem/Moraga Rd intersection. Euclid is definitely an option, haven't tried Centennial but that's been recommended to me as well as a pretty straight shot down past the botanical gardens and into campus.

Centennial is fast and drops you right into campus, but it has a couple of reliably awful intersections around the botanical gardens. I guess it depends on what part of campus you're commuting to, right? Sounds like you're way more up to date than I am on bike parking in downtown Berkeley. If there's locked and attended parking, rad! My partner got her pedals stolen in less than an hour when parked outside the DT Berkeley Bart station, but I once left a Patagonia rain jacket on top of my bike a block from there and nobody took it.
Wildcard option for getting over the hills: you can take dirt trails through parts of the parks, so if you really want to get into the whole multi-surface front load thing, you could do so via a seriously massive daily commute.

All music is just the Eagles with different geometry.

Mon, 06/27/2016 - 03:09
fixed
fixed's picture
(Reply to #158)

Wintage Townie wrote:
Also isn't a Diamondback.

Includes Ultegra crank means that it's automatically a better value than the DB, but the handlebars are immediate pull-offs. Those Diamondback's HED wheels aren't the real thing - they're heavy, semi-decent OEM stuff with powder coated grey spokes. I'd take the Stan's over them any day, and I hate Stan's rims. Basically, that Niner is better than the Diamondback in every possible way, with both bikes still being great values.

thanks. i've looked at the niner before. still not sure if i should be buying a "real cross racing bike" considering my only redeeming factor in races is my ability to turn the bike fast.

Thu, 06/30/2016 - 11:03
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture

I thought someone said that they has similar geometry. So all others things being equal, the Niner is just a better bike.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Thu, 06/30/2016 - 11:27
fixed
fixed's picture
Wed, 07/13/2016 - 12:54
lukasz
lukasz's picture
Wed, 07/13/2016 - 14:42
Sneaky Viking
Sneaky Viking's picture

They had the base model Diamondback Mason 27.5+ on sale for $750 with the Suntour Raidon and I resisted. I showed my mtbros and they were like 'Diamondback? Ewww.' I made up a plan to buy a boost Fox 34 and upgrade frame later.

Now they put the next one up with a Reba for $999, and I'm seriously considering. This thing is a couple Monster stickers and a dropper away from being fucking siiick.

ckd wrote:
I mean, seriously. We're just a bunch of washed up bicycle burnout dipshits.

Thu, 07/14/2016 - 10:48
biek

trek 920? or other similar bike.

pappaheugwang wrote:
u mad bro?

Sun, 07/17/2016 - 12:38
Bahamontes
Bahamontes's picture

Why is the 920 so heavy (12.5 kg)?
Still a lot of bike for the loot.

Sun, 07/17/2016 - 13:05
lukasz
lukasz's picture

27.5 lbs is not very heavy for all that shit. Get a good wheelset on that thing and take the rear rack off.

Sun, 07/17/2016 - 15:48
jawn doe
jawn doe's picture

pretty sure there ain't a light part on that bike. the stock tires are wirebead even. dunno what the hylex weighs you gotta add the the barcon weight. 4/4 people I know who owned one loved
it without much modification tho.

Sun, 07/17/2016 - 23:13
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture

27.5 lbs is totally respectable, and easily manageable with some basic (and probably essential) straight-outta-the-box upgrades.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Sun, 07/17/2016 - 23:32
jawn doe
jawn doe's picture

what's your elephant weigh josh?

Mon, 07/18/2016 - 06:59
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture

Lots. I have never weighed it, but I didn't deliberately put anything light on it.

Edit - Just weighed it with fenders, rack with no box, feedbag, etc - 27.53 lbs/12.460 kg. I could get it down a bit, with a lighter crankset and rear hub, and maybe lighter fenders. Otherwise, everything is basically as light as it gets (carbon seatpost, Ti-railed Flite saddle, 7000-series Deda bars, Record 11 shifters and carbon Centaur RD), without having Glenn build me one with Fred tubing, or buying stupid Ti hardware for my brake calipers and shit.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Mon, 07/18/2016 - 09:23
capn_pants
capn_pants's picture

Searching for a single speed cross bike in tiny human size (42-48.)

Wanna hold hands?

Mon, 07/18/2016 - 12:54
iwillbe
iwillbe's picture
(Reply to #171)

capn_pants wrote:
Searching for a single speed cross bike in tiny human size (42-48.)

Other people will probably have better ideas, but Islabikes makes 24", 26", and 622mm wheel size cross bikes. None are stock singlespeed, but check boxes otherwise. http://www.islabikes.com/luath-pro-series/ They're nominally a kid bike brand, but these look as if they're basically adult sized bikes.
I seem to recall Thorn from the UK having had some options for tiny cross frame + any drivetrain ever. You're welcome to check out their catalog, I haven't had enough coffee to wade through 500 pages of dense, chaotic dayglo font pdf (all 30mb of it!): http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/bikes

All music is just the Eagles with different geometry.

Mon, 07/18/2016 - 13:18
Bahamontes
Bahamontes's picture

My pal made a Bianchi Volpe (iirc model name) in the smallest size work very well, and she is a tiny human. Don't recall what about the geo was right, but she trained real hard on that bike until it finally conflicted with sponsor.

Mon, 07/18/2016 - 23:24
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture
(Reply to #173)

capn_pants wrote:
Searching for a single speed cross bike in tiny human size (42-48.)

get a cheap lightweight tiny hardtail mtb (you may already have one?)

strip some drivetrain to make it even lighter and cheaper, only fancy thing to focus on would be some supple 1.8-2.0" cross-country weenie racing tires

skinny tires on big wheels with narrow drop bars work against you tenfold on a tiny bike

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Tue, 07/19/2016 - 03:00
curiousincident
curiousincident's picture

that's actually a pretty good idea. plenty of cheap carbon forks floating around out there on ebay too

actually, if you do wanna go that route let me know. we've had a tiny jamis dragon kicking around the shop for forever that'd be a good candidate for this

Tue, 07/19/2016 - 08:04
Larry Winget
Larry Winget's picture

I have no specific advice for tinycrossbiek other than if you plan to race it, check to see if you can shoulder it.

The Pitbull of Personal Development®

Tue, 07/19/2016 - 09:32
drwelby
drwelby's picture
(Reply to #176)

JUGE FREDD wrote:
get a cheap lightweight tiny hardtail mtb (you may already have one?)

strip some drivetrain to make it even lighter and cheaper, only fancy thing to focus on would be some supple 1.8-2.0" cross-country weenie racing tires

These tires seem to made for tinymtbcxers:

Geax Aka Pluma

$12.14 and 300 grams-ish

Tue, 07/19/2016 - 11:11
capn_pants
capn_pants's picture
(Reply to #177)

JUGE FREDD wrote:
capn_pants wrote:
Searching for a single speed cross bike in tiny human size (42-48.)

get a cheap lightweight tiny hardtail mtb (you may already have one?)

strip some drivetrain to make it even lighter and cheaper, only fancy thing to focus on would be some supple 1.8-2.0" cross-country weenie racing tires

skinny tires on big wheels with narrow drop bars work against you tenfold on a tiny bike

this might be the best idea i've heard. I have a specialized hard rock that could maybe be converted. and would be fun as hell to race.

Wanna hold hands?

Tue, 07/19/2016 - 11:12
curiousincident
curiousincident's picture

do it. 26erssmtbcx is boat loads of fun and does the job more or less as well as a normal cross bike.

we have this classic bmx dad who got into the local cross race scene somehow, and has for years running been riding his old school bmx racing bike in the beginner's race. 26erssmtbcx brings basically all the stuff that you could imagine would be fun about riding a bmx on a cross course, but with none of the things that make it a completely untenable option.

really, it's fun!

Tue, 07/19/2016 - 20:53
Larry Winget
Larry Winget's picture

A level top tube as found on an old MTB could also be a good thing from a shouldering standpoint. I'm not trying to place too much emphasis on shouldering. It's rare that you actually *need* do it when racing around here, but there are times when it's the faster or less horrible option vs. pushing the bike.

I strongly endorse the run what you brung thing, or at the least doing a cheap build.

The Pitbull of Personal Development®

Wed, 07/20/2016 - 00:32
eric_ssucks
eric_ssucks's picture

There are other holding options too for running, you don't necessarily need to shoulder the bike..

Wed, 07/20/2016 - 15:29
Larry Winget
Larry Winget's picture
(Reply to #181)

eric_ssucks wrote:
There are other holding options too for running, you don't necessarily need to shoulder the bike..

Yes, and often they take less energy. Here are some of the situations I'm thinking of.

tight corners in deep sand
steep and uneven/loose hills
deep mud
mechanical problems (assuming you have spare stuff and wouldn't rather just DNF and drink beer at that point)

Also, shouldering the bike can make it easier to move side to side, which can be faster/safer in some situations (getting around people and getting out of their way).

That said, please don't take what I'm saying to mean shouldering the bike is something anyone should worry too much about. I'm just saying when you're ready the bike should not hold you back.

The Pitbull of Personal Development®

Wed, 07/20/2016 - 16:55
capn_pants
capn_pants's picture

Pretty excited about this plan. I don't plan on taking cross season very seriously, so this bike will likely be perfect for it.

Wanna hold hands?

Wed, 07/20/2016 - 17:08
Larry Winget
Larry Winget's picture
(Reply to #183)

capn_pants wrote:
Pretty excited about this plan. I don't plan on taking cross season very seriously, so this bike will likely be perfect for it.

smiley

The Pitbull of Personal Development®

Wed, 07/20/2016 - 19:37
emor
emor's picture

I'm going to commit to doing the woodland park cross race this year even though I'm super intimidated by all the cool-dude-bro guys everywhere

"my main life goal is to have a dirtbag camper van with a bunch of bikes on it, go camping every vacation forever" -- me

Wed, 07/20/2016 - 22:26
emor
emor's picture

If I get into it maybe I can buck the "Team Beer and Unsafe Secks" name trend and start "Team Overweight but Overall Responsible Dads who Are in Bed by Ten"

"my main life goal is to have a dirtbag camper van with a bunch of bikes on it, go camping every vacation forever" -- me

Wed, 07/20/2016 - 22:27
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture
(Reply to #186)

emor wrote:
If I get into it maybe I can buck the "Team Beer and Unsafe Secks" name trend and start "Team Overweight but Overall Responsible Dads who Are in Bed by Ten"

that's what Soft Like Kitten is

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Thu, 07/21/2016 - 02:48
Larry Winget
Larry Winget's picture
(Reply to #187)

JUGE FREDD wrote:
emor wrote:
If I get into it maybe I can buck the "Team Beer and Unsafe Secks" name trend and start "Team Overweight but Overall Responsible Dads who Are in Bed by Ten"

that's what Soft Like Kitten is

I am still awake smiley.

The Pitbull of Personal Development®

Thu, 07/21/2016 - 02:50
capn_pants
capn_pants's picture

You can be on Team Space Cadet with me. We're working on a sponsorship from Oh Boy Oberto. Beef Jerky for days-perfect for dad bods (and aspiring dad bods)

Wanna hold hands?

Thu, 07/21/2016 - 11:14
jimmythefly
jimmythefly's picture

In.

deadforkinglast wrote:
But honestly, I have no idea how I am going to follow through on that plan and I already have a pretty rad bike. I think I just like fucking with my bikes.

Thu, 07/21/2016 - 11:42
turpencat
turpencat's picture

I want to be on team beef jerky.
do I actually have to race?

johnnyraja wrote:
If you've never done it then yes, it's very surprising.

Thu, 07/21/2016 - 14:26

Pages