Poopbarning: not pukebacking like they used to thread

2492 posts / 0 new
Last post
velodirt

Fred,

All we provided was a GPS track of the route and made it clear you should supplement this with paper maps. We aren't hand holders and this isn't a rando route with turn-by-turn directions.

In the future, I'd suggest: 1) don't rely on Google generated cue sheets for off-road riding; 2) learn how to navigate with paper maps (the entire route is easily navigatable with the paper maps we recommended); and 3) laying off the mushrooms and pot while trying to navigate new routes.

I also couldn't find you on our list of people who signed up to ride. If you'd properly signed up, some of your issues could have been avoided as they were addressed in the email updates.

Thanks,

Donnie
velodirt.com

Thu, 05/29/2014 - 12:54
ShartAttack
ShartAttack's picture

lol

Former RAGBRAI enthusiast

Thu, 05/29/2014 - 12:56
Endpoint
Endpoint's picture

Count down to wall of text/trolling/lols in 5... 4... 3... 2...

Thu, 05/29/2014 - 13:01
Sneaky Viking
Sneaky Viking's picture
(Reply to #104)

:dramacloud:

ShartAttack wrote:
lol

ckd wrote:
I mean, seriously. We're just a bunch of washed up bicycle burnout dipshits.

Thu, 05/29/2014 - 13:02
Endpoint
Endpoint's picture

Actually... velodirt... before anyone gets butthurt... read the full bikeblog thread to understand what is about to go down here.

Then post your bike.

Then come to VA to ride the Devil's Backbone Challenge later this summer and test one of my bikes. I'll buy you dinner.

Thu, 05/29/2014 - 13:04
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

donnie,
this is michael
me and my buddy were fixing a flat on the red sauce and you asked if we needed help and i cheered you along with "allez allez"
please be careful with the sleeping giant tarck
sincerely,
your pal,
michael

"Folks want options!"

Thu, 05/29/2014 - 13:05
velodirt

Thanks for the warning guys. I kind of figured I was stepping on a landmine by even bothering to respond to criticism. I realize you can't make everyone happy, even when you're doing it for free and spending a lot of your own time putting it together. Anyways, I don't intend on getting into a long winded argument with anyone, and probably won't even check back in after this (I hate forums for this very reason...). But I wanted to get in my 2 cents on the record while I could...

Thanks guys, and for those who rode, I hope you enjoyed it.

Donnie
velodirt.com

Thu, 05/29/2014 - 13:11
Endpoint
Endpoint's picture

This bike internet forum was created out of the hatred for bike internet forums.

Thu, 05/29/2014 - 13:14
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

there wasnt much to criticize. read this whole thread, the last few pages of the bike blog thread, and maybe part of "fistfull of seatpost atmo" thread. oregon outback was a great experience on the whole, there are just things that could be better - there are always things that could be better. tarck is a pretty good cross section of enthusiasts, riders, and industry bros and broettes(?) who really have a no-bullshit approach to calling out some bullshit things. before i go any further you should post a photo of your bike in the "post your bike" thread.

"Folks want options!"

Thu, 05/29/2014 - 13:18
Endpoint
Endpoint's picture
(Reply to #110)

Miguel wrote:
there wasnt much to criticize. read this whole thread, the last few pages of the bike blog thread, and maybe part of "fistfull of seatpost atmo" thread. oregon outback was a great experience on the whole, there are just things that could be better - there are always things that could be better. tarck is a pretty good cross section of enthusiasts, riders, and industry bros and broettes(?) who really have a no-bullshit approach to calling out some bullshit things. before i go any further you should post a photo of your bike in the "post your bike" thread.

Before you go any further you should post a proper picture of your mountain bike

Thu, 05/29/2014 - 13:21
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

"Folks want options!"

Thu, 05/29/2014 - 13:23
timberland boots
timberland boots's picture
(Reply to #112)

velodirt wrote:
Fred,

All we provided was a GPS track of the route and made it clear you should supplement this with paper maps. We aren't hand holders and this isn't a rando route with turn-by-turn directions.

In the future, I'd suggest: 1) don't rely on Google generated cue sheets for off-road riding; 2) learn how to navigate with paper maps (the entire route is easily navigatable with the paper maps we recommended); and 3) laying off the mushrooms and pot while trying to navigate new routes.

I also couldn't find you on our list of people who signed up to ride. If you'd properly signed up, some of your issues could have been avoided as they were addressed in the email updates.

Thanks,

Donnie
velodirt.com

holy fuck

Anal Beads Al-Qaeda Ball Gag NAMBLA

Thu, 05/29/2014 - 13:24
Endpoint
Endpoint's picture
(Reply to #113)

Miguel wrote:
i posted one WITH SOUND
http://michaelparich.tumblr.com/post/87021333468

needs brick wall or garage door atmo.

Thu, 05/29/2014 - 13:31
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

fuckin ochoco state forest and crickets aint good enough
where am i

"Folks want options!"

Thu, 05/29/2014 - 13:52
Orc
Orc's picture
(Reply to #115)

Miguel wrote:
i posted one WITH SOUND
http://m...

Post one HERE, not off on some other weblog.

Thu, 05/29/2014 - 14:51
Larry Winget
Larry Winget's picture

This thread is confirming for me that I'm probably not cut out to be a #hobocyclist.

Good jerb to everyone who finished.

The Pitbull of Personal Development®

Thu, 05/29/2014 - 16:48
naterod
naterod's picture
(Reply to #117)

tarckeemoon wrote:
#hobocyclist

brilliant

Thu, 05/29/2014 - 17:07
Sneaky Viking
Sneaky Viking's picture

wth I been away for a couple hours and this thread isn't a shitshow. Fred must off somewhere tripping the nabendynamo fantastic.

ckd wrote:
I mean, seriously. We're just a bunch of washed up bicycle burnout dipshits.

Thu, 05/29/2014 - 17:17
euclid
euclid's picture
(Reply to #119)

Mr. Grumps wrote:
velodirt wrote:
Fred,

All we provided was a GPS track of the route and made it clear you should supplement this with paper maps. We aren't hand holders and this isn't a rando route with turn-by-turn directions.

In the future, I'd suggest: 1) don't rely on Google generated cue sheets for off-road riding; 2) learn how to navigate with paper maps (the entire route is easily navigatable with the paper maps we recommended); and 3) laying off the mushrooms and pot while trying to navigate new routes.

I also couldn't find you on our list of people who signed up to ride. If you'd properly signed up, some of your issues could have been avoided as they were addressed in the email updates.

Thanks,

Donnie
velodirt.com

holy fuck

best first post ever?

Thu, 05/29/2014 - 18:19
cookietruck
cookietruck's picture

i'm kinda surprised fred is into the psychedelics

Thu, 05/29/2014 - 19:19
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

are you kidding
i have met fred a total of 2 times and it is clearly obvious

"Folks want options!"

Thu, 05/29/2014 - 19:50
Endpoint
Endpoint's picture

Fred might be made of psychedelics.

Thu, 05/29/2014 - 20:03
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture
(Reply to #123)

velodirt wrote:
All we provided was a GPS track of the route and made it clear you should supplement this with paper maps. We aren't hand holders and this isn't a rando route with turn-by-turn directions.

When the road signs, intersections, and surfaces don't match the maps (and they really don't) -- that's why you make a damn cue sheet

velodirt wrote:
In the future, I'd suggest: 1) don't rely on Google generated cue sheets for off-road riding; 2) learn how to navigate with paper maps (the entire route is easily navigatable with the paper maps we recommended); and 3) laying off the mushrooms and pot while trying to navigate new routes.

  1. You're supposed to edit the cues instead of publishing a route with missing, wrong, or pointless ones

    Also "off-road"? smiley    It was all maintained roads, almost all recently graded or paved

  2. I had little trouble navigating having basically memorized the course, but nearly everyone took a wrong turn if they rode with a garminless group

    Even you guys! Gabe had to chase down Jason and Joshua Bryant when they went the wrong way leaving Sand Springs, and then at the next intersection he himself was standing at an unsigned intersection dick-in-hand not knowing where to go!

    That you didn't at least drive the parts of the course re-routed from your trip last year is pretty jackass. This is basic shit, and the standard I hold myself to for trips I organize.

  3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZLVi4v7lSM

velodirt wrote:
I also couldn't find you on our list of people who signed up to ride. If you'd properly signed up, some of your issues could have been avoided as they were addressed in the email updates.

I did, and used that last email to generate the cue sheet I made, but didn't spot the "We will also use this link if anything else comes up rather than sending another email" text at the bottom. I have no idea why you made a hidden page on your site instead of making a blog post or updating the main route description.

I talked to Gabe about the issue at some length, I'm planning on publishing a new route for the course that reflects reality without giving people too much information

Why did you DNF your own ride in Shaniko?

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Thu, 05/29/2014 - 23:57
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture

Another thing I don't get -- you were seriously baffled that you hadn't heard of any rack failures -- but there was no aggregate bigger than a golf ball; no drops, steps, or gullies; no alpine or singletrack and only a couple creek crossings rideable even with lowrider panniers

Just because a bunch of the roads were graded with light loose tuff doesn't mean they'd challenge even the dinkiest vintage blackburn clone.

 
I agree with your disappointment that so many had their heads down instead of smelling the quite-literal flowers, but you also really dialed up their anxieties that they needed to beat themselves up to have any hope of finishing at all.

I get that you're super into the bikepacking meme, but dialing your gear in that tightly also dramatically constrains your flexibility, especially if you're new to it and/or not wearing a backpack

plus that constant joke

"Hey can you toss me my gear?"

"It's the black xpac with red stitching"

I guess since bikepacking almost necessitates sleeping in a bivy, the movement is predestined to huff its own farts :)

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 00:42
aerobear
aerobear's picture

Damn, fred's mad.

crowding wrote:
Every time i eat Dick's I just wind up disappointed that I'm not getting In-n-Out.

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 01:05
teepz
teepz's picture

My biggest takeaway here is that none of you dorks bought the camo Revelate Bags. For shame.

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 01:21
EJ
EJ's picture

just damn

ckd wrote:
Hey Josh, WTF is up with your signature?

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 08:20
anomaly
(Reply to #128)

JUGE FREDD wrote:
Miguel wrote:
Just finished
And for the thread name, I puked. Exerted myself to the max.

people puked outside cowboy dinner tree and the morning after

and again the next night in the prineville, people puking out of their tents in the middle of the night

dema wrote:
Nice. My friend uploaded his GPS and photos

goddamn the SuperPro guys were Super, Professional

Murphy and Salar were the only people outside my crew that would take a beer handup the first day

Murphy has never turned down a beer handup in his life. I wonder how much weed they packed for the 25 hour moving 56 hour ride. Probably something like 7 lbs.

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 09:41
ShartAttack
ShartAttack's picture

So is that why the bikepacker bros don't use panniers? Because they are afraid the racks will fail?

Former RAGBRAI enthusiast

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 11:31
jimmythefly
jimmythefly's picture

I think that's a part of it, maybe. Mostly it's
1. bikepackers are often using mountain bikes that do not readily accept racks (especially front racks if using a suspension fork).
2. For clearance on narrow single track where panniers would get hung up.

I suppose there is something to the theory that a soft bag has a certain amount of give and less jarring ride.

Universal-fit soft bags are often lighter than universal-fit racks+panniers.

But if a person is going to be using a full-rigid bike, a nice Tubus rear rack or a custom tubular chromoly rack is a thing of beauty, and very competitive on weight.

This revelate harness (not including the dry bag) weights 15oz. and has a stated weight limit of 15lbs.(conservative, I'm sure)

A nitto M12 weighs about 10oz.
My rack weighs in the 16oz. neighborhood. (seen here on my old Traitor I no longer own). Weight limit somewhere north of 50lbs. Not limited to cylindrical shaped loads, does not interfere with handlebars. Downside is not universal fit, will not work on my hardtail 29er.

Part of the issue is that, IMO, "bikepacking" really should refer to folks using mountain bikes on trails that need a MTB to be ridden. When we start talking about full-rigid gravel-touring bikes, it strays from what I myself might call "bikepacking" and is simply "touring", though with a lightweight emphasis and fatter tires.

deadforkinglast wrote:
But honestly, I have no idea how I am going to follow through on that plan and I already have a pretty rad bike. I think I just like fucking with my bikes.

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 12:40
ShartAttack
ShartAttack's picture

Thanks for the explainer. I agree with you, the pictures from OO are awesome but it didn't look like anybody couldn't have gotten by with a standard rack and panniers set-up. I've got the whole Ortlieb/Tubus set-up on my touring bike and can see just how stout it all is.

I will admit that I stuck a Revelate frame bag on my hambiek because I wanted a place to hold tools and spares that wasn't a pannier or on my back. Though if I'm going to commute on it this winter I still think I'll end up with a rear rack for my Ortliebs.

Former RAGBRAI enthusiast

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 12:52
timberland boots
timberland boots's picture

TC - Fully plan on buying a revelate frame bag for bike camping in order to have more compartments than just panniers, so that there is less needing to dig under a bunch of shit I don't need at that moment to get to the stuff I do. This was what I used my last big bike camping trip;

Even compartmentalizing with food/kitchen in one pannier and clothes/first aid/camping in the other that got to be a bit irritating. Front panniers also obviously an option, but a frame bag seems like a viable addition to any setup using panniers ATMO

EDIT: Have since put together a way less derpy bike, but to be honest that set up worked fantastic.

Anal Beads Al-Qaeda Ball Gag NAMBLA

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 13:31
euflavine
euflavine's picture
(Reply to #133)

jimmythefly wrote:
This revelate harness (not including the dry bag) weights 15oz. and has a stated weight limit of 15lbs.(conservative, I'm sure)

A nitto M12 weighs about 10oz.
My rack weighs in the 16oz. neighborhood. (seen here on my old Traitor I no longer own). Weight limit somewhere north of 50lbs. Not limited to cylindrical shaped loads, does not interfere with handlebars. Downside is not universal fit, will not work on my hardtail 29er.

This isn't a valid comparison until you start adding in everything to make them comparable. The Sweetroll includes the drybag part (https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/Handle-Bar/Sweetroll). I can't figure out the two weights listed, but even with the heavier weight listed for the "large" it's 14oz. That's everything needed to carry stuff. For a rack you'll need to add the rack, thing you're holding stuff in (drybag would be lightest I'd guess) and then all the hardware to attach that to the rack. The total is likely a decent margin more.

Either way, I've talked to guys who have cracked racks on their MTB (not an easy trailside fix), ejected panniers, complained about the inability to really crank stuff down onto a rack etc, where soft bags address all of these issues.

ShartAttack wrote:
it didn't look like anybody couldn't have gotten by with a standard rack and panniers set-up. I've got the whole Ortlieb/Tubus set-up on my touring bike and can see just how stout it all is.

Sure, but a lot of these folks probably don't have all the gear to just swap over. So, if you're looking at a new purchase and leaning towards the off road side, soft bags make sense:

Viscacha = $130
Frame Bag = $160

Ortlieb set = $150
Tubus = $130

Pretty comparable.

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 13:36
ryker
(Reply to #134)

Mr. Grumps wrote:
TC - Fully plan on buying a revelate frame bag for bike camping in order to have more compartments than just panniers, so that there is less needing to dig under a bunch of shit I don't need at that moment to get to the stuff I do.

Check out Porcelain Rocket for the Canadian option. His work is amazing and it's still done in house.

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 13:38
timberland boots
timberland boots's picture

Oh dude that's awesome.

Also they make replacement bags for cargo bikes which I actually need, so double awesome :D

Anal Beads Al-Qaeda Ball Gag NAMBLA

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 13:48
ryker

He recently completed a co-branded bag run for Rocky Mountain. You'll be able to buy their new fatbike with PR bags. I got to fondle them and was mucho impressed. Definitely the real deal.

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 13:51
jimmythefly
jimmythefly's picture
(Reply to #137)

euflavine wrote:
jimmythefly wrote:
This revelate harness (not including the dry bag) weights 15oz. and has a stated weight limit of 15lbs.(conservative, I'm sure)

A nitto M12 weighs about 10oz.
My rack weighs in the 16oz. neighborhood. (seen here on my old Traitor I no longer own). Weight limit somewhere north of 50lbs. Not limited to cylindrical shaped loads, does not interfere with handlebars. Downside is not universal fit, will not work on my hardtail 29er.

This isn't a valid comparison until you start adding in everything to make them comparable. The Sweetroll includes the drybag part (https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/Handle-Bar/Sweetroll). I can't figure out the two weights listed, but even with the heavier weight listed for the "large" it's 14oz. That's everything needed to carry stuff. For a rack you'll need to add the rack, thing you're holding stuff in (drybag would be lightest I'd guess) and then all the hardware to attach that to the rack. The total is likely a decent margin more.

Either way, I've talked to guys who have cracked racks on their MTB (not an easy trailside fix), ejected panniers, complained about the inability to really crank stuff down onto a rack etc, where soft bags address all of these issues.

Hmm. Good points. I don't get the weights. Like you said, the "Sweetroll" with flap is 14oz, but the "Harness" (the one I showed) 15oz?

So yes I should compare to the Sweetroll to a small rack+drybag.

Sweetroll system L (1100ci) is 14oz.

A 20L (1220ci) waterproof stuff sack is 2-3oz. depending on brand. (REI weights)
Two webbing straps are another 2-3oz. depending. (REI weights)
This rack weighs about 7oz. (not exactly sure what wall thickness tubing it is -if 1/4"x.028 it would be lighter).

deadforkinglast wrote:
But honestly, I have no idea how I am going to follow through on that plan and I already have a pretty rad bike. I think I just like fucking with my bikes.

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 14:17
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

im gonna step in and say that the jandd framebag is pretty decent for the price. i think you can find it for about $30 and, though smaller than a revelate, works pretty well and does fine.

also, im probably gonna make a few handlebar roll-style things for some friends and if any of you want to get in on that it may be cheaper to make a big run rather than piecemeal.

currently making a gastank out of some hair-on hide. photos to be posted.

"Folks want options!"

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 14:18
ShartAttack
ShartAttack's picture
(Reply to #139)

euflavine wrote:
Sure, but a lot of these folks probably don't have all the gear to just swap over. So, if you're looking at a new purchase and leaning towards the off road side, soft bags make sense:

Viscacha = $130
Frame Bag = $160

Ortlieb set = $150
Tubus = $130

Pretty comparable.

Yeah, I guess that works for me. Panniers are my preference and I think they'd continue to be until you got to the point that you were doing pretty technical stuff. If you are also willing to sleep in bivys and hammocks I imagine you save a lot of space as well (I don't think I could handle either of those). I'm going on a short bike camping trip this weekend and I'm waiting to see how much room I'm left with in my voluminous Ortlieb set-up since I don't have to carry my wife's gear this time.

Former RAGBRAI enthusiast

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 15:12
Orc
Orc's picture
(Reply to #140)

jimmythefly wrote:
This rack weighs about 7oz. (not exactly sure what wall thickness tubing it is -if 1/4"x.028 it would be lighter).

I built a 7×7 rack out of a combination of ¼ and ³⁄₁₆ tubing (¼ rack perimeter, ³⁄₁₆ everything else) and it weighs somewhere in the ballpark of 4-6 oz (I weighed it partially through assembly and it came in at 120 grams, but I don't remember if that was before or after I put the fork leg stays on), so it's possible to squeeze the weight waythefuckdown and still have a rack that you can balance 20 pounds of stuff on.

That said I've not done any singletrack on the bicycle it's on. It's seen 100 or so miles of unimproved roads with a dinky rando load but that's not a fair comparison to lugging around 20 pounds of stuffsack.

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 15:14
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture
(Reply to #141)

Miguel wrote:
im gonna step in and say that the jandd framebag is pretty decent for the price. i think you can find it for about $30 and, though smaller than a revelate, works pretty well and does fine.

indeed it's great, and they've got the new design with adjustable straps in two sizes

thought about not bringing it for anti-pukebacking lulz since I had plenty of room, but unless you have DT shifters it's the closest thing to free space and easy-access

I did learn something about it on the trip: I need to wash it regularly and use fabric softener

rashed the inside of my left thigh on it while I was exploring inner space, and nearly did it again a few times

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 15:35
timberland boots
timberland boots's picture

So,

Wanted to look into riding to a campsite really close to the city, decided to check out how google maps bike directions tool is.

63km
83 seperate turns on the suggested route.

gg googlemaps, lol

Anal Beads Al-Qaeda Ball Gag NAMBLA

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 15:37
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

The zippers need attention right out (wax/crayon) because they can get stuck on either far side. The only prob I have with the adjustable straps is if it's not attached well enough you will pull the zipper and the bag will pull. Could be a zipper issue but ???

Also, I want to recommend the planet bike gas tank. Can be had for $20 and is as good as nearly any of the boutique makers. Well out performed what I thought it was gonna do.

"Folks want options!"

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 15:37
euclid
euclid's picture
(Reply to #144)

Miguel wrote:
im gonna step in and say that the jandd framebag is pretty decent for the price. i think you can find it for about $30 and, though smaller than a revelate, works pretty well and does fine.

also, im probably gonna make a few handlebar roll-style things for some friends and if any of you want to get in on that it may be cheaper to make a big run rather than piecemeal.

currently making a gastank out of some hair-on hide. photos to be posted.

I might be into this.

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 17:03
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

"Folks want options!"

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 17:55
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

"Folks want options!"

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 17:56
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture

Mike Cobb, true badass:

DH saddle and Ultegralook pedals on a Bullitt

bikepacking

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 21:41
Orc
Orc's picture
(Reply to #148)

How quickly did he finish?

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 22:39
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

Photo cred me thxvrymuch

He finished Monday evening, we dropped him into the headwinds after shaniko. We rode from antelope to shaniko with him. Jeff, my buddy, rode with him on portobello racing

"Folks want options!"

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 23:06
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

Dub

"Folks want options!"

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 23:09

Pages