Tire Chat

5196 posts / 0 new
Last post
kmcdon
kmcdon's picture
(Reply to #4501)

drwelby wrote:
Corn belt = goathead thorns so I'd recommend some kind of sealant in the mix..

Also this. Last time I was up that way I had sealant inside of the tubes and got hundreds of goatheads, not a single flat.

You WILL get goatheads and flat tires up there if you're not running sealant.

Wed, 11/29/2017 - 14:41
mdilthey
mdilthey's picture

Fat Tubeless Update: The tires are both holding, but the rear needed a refill twice. Still, not bad!

The bike is a joy to ride. I was keeping up with the fast kids on the Sunday ride and I am commuting on it. I did my 5-mile commute about 5 minutes slower than usual today on the fatbike instead of my CX bike.

26/M/41t N/W

Tue, 12/05/2017 - 19:32
ramate
ramate's picture

The pair of Specialized Renegade 1.8 CC tires I've been running on my CX bike are finally giving up, and I'm looking to replace them with a mud-friendly tubeless tire. The renegades cleared the rear chainstays with a few millimeters on either side, so 45mm is about the max tire size I can fit.

Any ideas? Most of the lighter weight cross-oriented stuff tends to top out at 38-40, and most of the mud oriented tires are for UCI compliant widths.

Tue, 12/05/2017 - 23:24
drwelby
drwelby's picture

Maxxis Ravager?

Naturally, this bike is partially tarck's fault.

Wed, 12/06/2017 - 10:01
circuithero
circuithero's picture

WTB Resolute?

Wed, 12/06/2017 - 20:09
ramate
ramate's picture
(Reply to #4506)

Interesting, I'd not seen the release for this tire. WTB seems to be pumping out new models faster than anyone these days. Has anyone here ridden these yet?

Wed, 12/06/2017 - 20:20
Endpoint
Endpoint's picture

Resolute is dope.

Sold a bunch to riding buddies.

Feedback is 100% posi.

Wed, 12/06/2017 - 21:47
wickedwagon
wickedwagon's picture

Tubelessing nontubeless tires, will the always drop pressure quicker, or does it get better? Tires in question are 1.9s that measure at 45mm with 40ish psi.

jordanpattern wrote:
BRING ME THE BINDERS OF WOMEN!

Sun, 12/10/2017 - 21:22
deadforkinglast
deadforkinglast's picture

In my experience, it will get better as time goes on and sealant works its way into all of the various pores and helps glue down the bead a bit. I did find that they were always more prone to burping than a good tubeless setup, though.

Sun, 12/10/2017 - 22:01
ramate
ramate's picture
(Reply to #4510)

Depends on the tire-rim fit and the seal. I have a pair that honestly feel like they require topping off less than my tubed set.

Mon, 12/11/2017 - 02:31
Endpoint
Endpoint's picture

Burping is the biggest concern.

Install and inflate then deflate.

If the bead stays locked, yolo.
If the bead unlocks but makes a sound as it does so, yolo with caution.
If the tire bead simply falls away from the rim bead hook, you may die.

Mon, 12/11/2017 - 21:16
deadforkinglast
deadforkinglast's picture

I feel like if you're using tires over 40mm and don't want to go too high or low in the pressure range, you can probably get them to tubeless if you're willing to throw enough sealant at them.

I got wire-bead Big Apples to seal on Rhyno Lites for a couple of sets over a few years. Couldn't get the new Big Apple (totally different and shittier design than the old one) to seat at all and gave up and used tubes because I don't work in a bike shop anymore and don't have unlimited access to an air compressor and a bottomless supply of sealant to throw at my problems.

Tue, 12/12/2017 - 01:26
Rentable Faxmachine
Rentable Faxmachine's picture
(Reply to #4513)

Endpoint wrote:
Burping is the biggest concern.

Install and inflate then deflate.

If the bead stays locked, yolo.
If the bead unlocks but makes a sound as it does so, yolo with caution.
If the tire bead simply falls away from the rim bead hook, you may die.

This is some mighty fine advice. Backed.

Tue, 12/12/2017 - 10:55
mdilthey
mdilthey's picture
(Reply to #4514)

Endpoint wrote:
Resolute is dope.

Sold a bunch to riding buddies.

Feedback is 100% posi.

Any guess on actual width? 42 is pushing it in my frame, hoping they're slightly narrower.

26/M/41t N/W

Tue, 12/12/2017 - 11:03
wickedwagon
wickedwagon's picture

I did switch to 30/35ish cos supplelife. The bead was tight going on, not tire lever tight, but they didn't slip on to the rim.

jordanpattern wrote:
BRING ME THE BINDERS OF WOMEN!

Tue, 12/12/2017 - 14:47
Endpoint
Endpoint's picture

Install difficulty is irrelevant.

I can mount a Horzion on WTB rim with zero effort. Tire practically falls on. But once it’s inflated and the bead is set it stays put after being deflated and takes a reasonable amount of thumb pressure to break it loose again.

Re: resolute size. They are true to size new and will grow some.

Tue, 12/12/2017 - 21:00
ThurberMingus
ThurberMingus's picture

Does anyone have any snow/ice experience with Byways? The Knards I have mounted to the fop chariot aren’t giving me all of it and I wonder if it’s worth upgrading now or just waiting until winter is over.

Tue, 12/12/2017 - 21:14
Endpoint
Endpoint's picture

They were pretty MEH in the wet snowy slush we got Saturday.

Tue, 12/12/2017 - 21:25
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture
(Reply to #4519)

Endpoint wrote:
I can mount a Horzion on WTB rim with zero effort. Tire practically falls on. But once it’s inflated and the bead is set it stays put after being deflated and takes a reasonable amount of thumb pressure to break it loose again.

I just reupped my sealant for the first time in months, and I was shocked by how much effort it took to break the bead on the Horizon/WTB i23 collabo.

Anyway Braden, I thought you said that you had some people on the Byways and they were solid.. or was that the Resolute?

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Tue, 12/12/2017 - 22:22
ThurberMingus
ThurberMingus's picture
(Reply to #4520)

Endpoint wrote:
They were pretty MEH in the wet snowy slush we got Saturday.

Cool. I’ll just save my cash for spring then. Unless you have any other tire recommendations in similar sizeway?

Wed, 12/13/2017 - 01:07
euclid
euclid's picture

Just installed tubeless tires on my mtb. WTB vigilante/i23. Got bead seated with a floor pump, but I had to take the valve core out for one of the wheels to get this done. Is there a good way to drop the pressure down before removing the pump head in this situation? Just popping it open was really loud and seemed like it can’t be good for the head.

Sun, 12/17/2017 - 16:38
mdilthey
mdilthey's picture

On tubeless wheels, you can drill an extra valve hole and run two valves.

Just kidding.

My pump head on my ancient Zefal has enough give in it that I can release some air before taking it off.

26/M/41t N/W

Sun, 12/17/2017 - 16:55
lukasz
lukasz's picture
(Reply to #4523)

mdilthey wrote:
On tubeless wheels, you can drill an extra valve hole and run two valves.

Just kidding.

My pump head on my ancient Zefal has enough give in it that I can release some air before taking it off.

I wish for someone to actually do this

Mon, 12/18/2017 - 13:53
Andrew_Squirrel
Andrew_Squirrel's picture
(Reply to #4524)

euclid wrote:
Just installed tubeless tires on my mtb. WTB vigilante/i23. Got bead seated with a floor pump, but I had to take the valve core out for one of the wheels to get this done. Is there a good way to drop the pressure down before removing the pump head in this situation? Just popping it open was really loud and seemed like it can’t be good for the head.

The Topeak tubeless floor pump has two air release valves (one button on the dump chamber, other on head) but I'm really starting to hate the new pump head since it does a terrible job with gripping on shorter valve stems. Never in a million years thought I would miss the cumbersome threaded Lezyne head on my old floor pump

Mon, 12/18/2017 - 14:55
Blakey
Blakey's picture
(Reply to #4525)

lukasz wrote:
mdilthey wrote:
On tubeless wheels, you can drill an extra valve hole and run two valves.

I wish for someone to actually do this

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbXNB3elBgS/?taken-by=kstoerz

presta, schraeder AND dunlop!

Mon, 12/18/2017 - 18:40
lukasz
lukasz's picture

Wow I had to watch the vid to see what was up. Pretty good!

I was imagining more like a presta and a schrader spaced so you could fit one of those planet bike pump heads on the both of them at once.

Mon, 12/18/2017 - 20:18
Rusty Piton
Rusty Piton's picture

What tubeless ~2" 26" slickish tires should I buy?

emor wrote:
Bicycle commuting is the worst way to get anywhere except for all the other ways.

Tue, 12/19/2017 - 12:03
drwelby
drwelby's picture

Not a lot of choices for real TL tires.

Compass Rat Trap Pass
Schwalbe Marathon Almotion
Surly ExtraTerrestrial

Naturally, this bike is partially tarck's fault.

Tue, 12/19/2017 - 12:21
kmcdon
kmcdon's picture

the rat trap pass is one of my favorite tires ever.

Tue, 12/19/2017 - 12:34
Goddamnit Gunther
Goddamnit Gunther's picture
(Reply to #4530)

I’m anxious for the time when I can justify purchasing a set of RTPs

Endpoint wrote:
turdly buttways

Tue, 12/19/2017 - 13:34
cousinmosquito
cousinmosquito's picture
(Reply to #4531)

Goddamnit Gunther wrote:
I’m anxious for the time when I can justify purchasing a set of RTPs

I am anxious for the time I can forget about the sticker shock I got when my ones breached the our import duty level !
Love them, they are NOT the tubeless ones tho.

More wonderful than you can believe it

Tue, 12/19/2017 - 14:52
jdsmooth
jdsmooth's picture

Maxxis DTH
isn't officially TL, but you could

Five-foot drops at speed on unstable terrain? Yep.

Tue, 12/19/2017 - 15:11
Rusty Piton
Rusty Piton's picture

What about the powerblock? Is that TL?

emor wrote:
Bicycle commuting is the worst way to get anywhere except for all the other ways.

Tue, 12/19/2017 - 16:02
drwelby
drwelby's picture

Not officially.

Naturally, this bike is partially tarck's fault.

Tue, 12/19/2017 - 16:26
lukasz
lukasz's picture

Anyone get those fatty 27.5x2.00 g-one speeds yet?! I want to know actual weight.

edit: oh here I found a writeup

http://ridinggravel.forumchitchat.com/post/schwalbe-gone-speed-2-0-tires-9513595

super disappointed that they are actually heavy turds

Tue, 12/19/2017 - 17:50
Goddamnit Gunther
Goddamnit Gunther's picture
(Reply to #4536)

drwelby wrote:
Not officially.

Has it been done? I just picked up a pair of these and I like them a lot. Ive been thinking about ghetto tubelessing but I’m hesitant about doing it with both nontubeless tires and rims.

Endpoint wrote:
turdly buttways

Tue, 12/19/2017 - 19:21
sparksflyhigh
sparksflyhigh's picture
(Reply to #4537)

lukasz wrote:
Anyone get those fatty 27.5x2.00 g-one speeds yet?! I want to know actual weight.

edit: oh here I found a writeup

http://ridinggravel.forumchitchat.com/post/schwalbe-gone-speed-2-0-tires-9513595

super disappointed that they are actually heavy turds

Not spectacularly heavy compared to the horizon or gravelking, especially if they actually measure 50+ mm. Shouldn't expect them to be particularly light given the snakeskin. When I talked to a Schwalbe guy at interbike, he said that the microskin, which he equated to a tubeless ready liteskin, was reserved for the smaller tires and was pretty lukewarm about my suggestion that the wider tires could also benefit from the non-turdly casing. He also seemed to think that the compound was the dominant factor in rolling resistance. Jan heine may be obtuse about the inferiority of roller tests, but I do think one problem is that they overestimate the effect of the compound on rolling resistance compared to other factors like the supplicity of a heiney-style tire , leading the schwalbe guy to insist that the wider g one was as fast as the snakeskin variety, despite the turdly my casing

Tue, 12/19/2017 - 20:17
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture
(Reply to #4538)

Rusty Piton wrote:
What about the powerblock? Is that TL?

Having handled them a bunch it feels like a really good idea

only reason I haven't tried it is that I haven't put any on tubeless-friendly rims yet

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Tue, 12/19/2017 - 21:25
lukasz
lukasz's picture
(Reply to #4539)

So I'm going to AZ in a few weeks. Are snakeskin Burts gonna cut it (pun intended)? Do I need to throw on some Maxxis or WTB? What would the equivalent tire be? Byways are an obvious choice but the side knobs look way less pronounced than what I'm used to now.

Thu, 12/21/2017 - 13:02
sparksflyhigh
sparksflyhigh's picture
(Reply to #4540)

What/where are you riding?

Thu, 12/21/2017 - 13:52
lukasz
lukasz's picture

Prolly somewhere north of Tucson. Not sure of exact route but a friend says he has a good one for me. Last time we spoke I think he said the rocks will just cut your sidewalls up if you ride fragile tires.

Thu, 12/21/2017 - 14:25
dotMR
dotMR's picture

Any updated opinions on tubeless options for an H/G? ~75% pavement, remainder cobbles, forest roads, dirt trails

Summarising previous comments:

  • WTB Horizon early favorite, updated version narrower and "turdlier"
  • WTB Byway potentially faster than Horizon, albeit a bit heavier and with some side tread
  • Schwalbe Thunderbutts best for dirt - roll well but corner strangely on pavement
  • Schwable G-One Speed or All-Road - they exist and are maybe good
  • Compass xxxx - you may die

Any reason to still pick Horizon, or has the Byway replaced it for most uses?

I'm in Euroland so generally easy to get Schwalbe G-One...but it sounds like WTB has easy tubeless figured out.

Thu, 12/21/2017 - 16:01
lukasz
lukasz's picture

After wearing in my Burts I really like them on all surfaces. If you can fit those babies give the snakeskin version a shot.

As far as my AZ bike camping needs, I'm digging these two tires so far:

Maxxis Tread Lite 27.5X2.10 590 grams

WTB Ranger 27.5x2.0 635 grams

So what else out there is similar?

Thu, 12/21/2017 - 16:25
shane.rrr
shane.rrr's picture
(Reply to #4544)

dotMR wrote:
Any updated opinions on tubeless options for an H/G? ~75% pavement, remainder cobbles, forest roads, dirt trails

Summarising previous comments:

  • WTB Horizon early favorite, updated version narrower and "turdlier"
  • WTB Byway potentially faster than Horizon, albeit a bit heavier and with some side tread
  • Schwalbe Thunderbutts best for dirt - roll well but corner strangely on pavement
  • Schwable G-One Speed or All-Road - they exist and are maybe good
  • Compass xxxx - you may die

Any reason to still pick Horizon, or has the Byway replaced it for most uses?

I'm in Euroland so generally easy to get Schwalbe G-One...but it sounds like WTB has easy tubeless figured out.

I love my Byways, mounted easily tubeless on nontubeless rims. Have had zero issues with them and seem to be a really good all around tire. Fast and smooth on pavement and feels solid on dirt.

Thu, 12/21/2017 - 16:39
kmcdon
kmcdon's picture

I don't see why you'd run a horizon when this exists. I'm not sure if it's got the "updated" bead that's supposedly actually safe or not.

I'm gonna be running byways on the h/g. I had them mounted up to velocity a23s on my grando for a while, and hoo boy were they nice.

Thu, 12/21/2017 - 17:05
jeffro
jeffro's picture
(Reply to #4546)

kmcdon wrote:
That's the spirit!

Seriously though let me know, after a while, how those marge lites hold tubeless. I have the same wheels and am planning on tubelessing them.

Any thoughts on whether the Max method would suit 100 mm wide rime with Vee Bulldozers. Tires indicate tubeless, rims have no markingsuch at all.

Thu, 12/21/2017 - 17:08
kmcdon
kmcdon's picture

I haven't made any moves towards tubelessing my marges thus far.

I've got my rabbit holes and knards tubeless, and they've been great, but that's only 50mm or so

Thu, 12/21/2017 - 17:30
cousinmosquito
cousinmosquito's picture

FYI, if you ever wanted to fluff about with 3 inch knards without the investment, they ran perfectly fine for me on standard old school rims. With tubes. My guess is that the side walls were were so stiff on the cheaper ones that they still worked. I used them at the single speed nats on the very winding trails of Rotorua . Cant recall the pressures exactly.

More wonderful than you can believe it

Thu, 12/21/2017 - 18:35
Endpoint
Endpoint's picture

Horizon is still the jam if you want the highest mileage tire.

Put 5k on some. Still good. Sold to Orc.

I’ve installed some new ones. Seem the same as old ones. Ymmv.

I would say that Horizon is the commuter/touring version and the Byway is the yolo version. Less rubber means they will cut easier I suppose.

Thu, 12/21/2017 - 19:16
Gary Fissure
(Reply to #4550)

jeffro wrote:
kmcdon wrote:
That's the spirit!

Seriously though let me know, after a while, how those marge lites hold tubeless. I have the same wheels and am planning on tubelessing them.

Any thoughts on whether the Max method would suit 100 mm wide rime with Vee Bulldozers. Tires indicate tubeless, rims have no markingsuch at all.

My buddies tuebelessed with the fattystripper on 80 and 100. It's holding up.
http://fattystripper.com/

mander wrote:
And what if the part is, like, just a nut? *huge bong rip*

Thu, 12/21/2017 - 20:36

Pages