Tarck Arts and Carfts. Post your home-built bikey stuff.

712 posts / 0 new
Last post
crowding
crowding's picture

oogens has it, brass hobby tube so the link housing liner can run continuous instead of ending at the handlebar

basically i'm making cable setup the largest possible pain in the ass

Tue, 06/28/2016 - 11:57
Shortpants
Shortpants's picture

lame.

Wed, 06/29/2016 - 01:58
dorth
dorth's picture

I did a thing. rear rack modified for front use

bought a 10$ mtb rear rack from the non-profit shop, and a babby hacksaw from the dollar store

after I cut the tombstone off I bent the cut outter rails into a tombstone and mounted the tang

still gotta strip the rest of the paint/powder and blast a few more holes for the tang & fender but it's already super solid.

11$ well spent

Wed, 07/13/2016 - 13:14
Shortpants
Shortpants's picture

why not buy a front rack for like $20

Wed, 07/13/2016 - 13:24
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture
(Reply to #405)

Straws wrote:
why not buy a front rack for like $20

no canti posts on there

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Wed, 07/13/2016 - 13:40
dorth
dorth's picture

well it was originally for my beater mtb but it fit poorly so it was languishing in my spares. Sure it's ugly and the tombstone is fucked rn but for 11$ and 30minutes of install I'm stoked on it.

but the real answer is that in too much of a cheapskate

Wed, 07/13/2016 - 13:43
jimmythefly
jimmythefly's picture
(Reply to #407)

JUGE FREDD wrote:
Straws wrote:
why not buy a front rack for like $20

no canti posts on there

Soma and MEC make a front rack that is basically exactly that. Blackburn and Vetta think used to too.

deadforkinglast wrote:
But honestly, I have no idea how I am going to follow through on that plan and I already have a pretty rad bike. I think I just like fucking with my bikes.

Wed, 07/13/2016 - 14:46
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

Hey PNW - I'm looking for a 3D printer for someone to make pieces that are <1cm sq.

Anybody have any leads?

edit: i have all the drawings in all the different file types

"Folks want options!"

Thu, 09/08/2016 - 09:51
Andrew_Squirrel
Andrew_Squirrel's picture

I took a tour of this place when I was down in Portland a couple years ago.
Have you checked to see if you can use their machine?
http://adxportland.com/12296/

Thu, 09/08/2016 - 13:12
Andrew_Squirrel
Andrew_Squirrel's picture

Also, if you don't want to go there I do have access to a couple ABS 3D printers at work. Resolution is 0.01
I've never printed any personal stuff but I could potentially break some rules.
I owe you for sending that amazing batrape

Thu, 09/08/2016 - 18:04
yummygooey

Are you looking to buy an actual 3D printer or contract a service? If the latter...

There's this place: http://www.shapeways.com/

I've passed this place in Seattle many times: http://studiofathom.com

Thu, 09/08/2016 - 18:08
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

i sent jimmy some files
we'll see what happens

"Folks want options!"

Thu, 09/08/2016 - 18:22
drwelby
drwelby's picture

Finished up this frame bag for next week's pukeathon. It's bonded marine vinyl coated polyster, so it should be totally waterproof with no seams to leak. The seams are also on the outside so I can extend the side panels out into straps with some velcro underneath. This means none of the seams are really load bearing either. It has a sort of labyrinth seal under the flap, so it's kind of like a roll-top but not.
There's some contrasting top-stitching just in case my vinyl adhesive isn't up to snuff.

Next up is a quick buttrocket in the same construction.

Naturally, this bike is partially tarck's fault.

Thu, 09/08/2016 - 20:15
tehschkott
tehschkott's picture
(Reply to #414)

Andrew_Squirrel wrote:
Also, if you don't want to go there I do have access to a couple ABS 3D printers at work. Resolution is 0.01
I've never printed any personal stuff but I could potentially break some rules.

I should try to convince you to make some .83 headbadges / seat tube badges

DO NOT CONSTRUE MY COMMENTS AS AN ENDORSEMENT OF BICYCLING. BIKES ARE DANGEROUS, EXPENSIVE, AND EXHAUSTING. DO NOT RIDE THEM.

Thu, 09/08/2016 - 20:57
Falkor
Falkor's picture
(Reply to #415)

tehschkott wrote:
Andrew_Squirrel wrote:
Also, if you don't want to go there I do have access to a couple ABS 3D printers at work. Resolution is 0.01
I've never printed any personal stuff but I could potentially break some rules.

I should try to convince you to make some .83 headbadges / seat tube badges

Seconded

Fri, 09/09/2016 - 13:51
crowding
crowding's picture

Third iteration on these. Curved the handle, flipped the teardrop to curve outboard when mounted on bar ends, closed over the top of the slot. Original simplex SLJ handles for reference

I think this nails the range of motion

next phase is to make the whole shebang, mounts and an index/friction mechanism, work in progress

Tue, 09/13/2016 - 20:44
tehschkott
tehschkott's picture

I am impressed!

DO NOT CONSTRUE MY COMMENTS AS AN ENDORSEMENT OF BICYCLING. BIKES ARE DANGEROUS, EXPENSIVE, AND EXHAUSTING. DO NOT RIDE THEM.

Tue, 09/13/2016 - 21:33
chenghiz
chenghiz's picture
(Reply to #418)

crowding wrote:
Third iteration on these. Curved the handle, flipped the teardrop to curve outboard when mounted on bar ends, closed over the top of the slot. Original simplex SLJ handles for reference

I think this nails the range of motion

next phase is to make the whole shebang, mounts and an index/friction mechanism, work in progress

i would like to subscribe to your newsletter

Sun, 10/02/2016 - 17:04
crowding
crowding's picture
(Reply to #419)

chenghiz wrote:
i would like to subscribe to your newsletter

Retrofriction action works but I need to experiment with different friction materials
Indexing action is promising but needs to be a lot stronger and get fine tuned on cable pull
Whole package needs to be a lot smaller but I have some ideas for that

Also, this ridiculous mudflap

Sun, 10/02/2016 - 17:50
eric_ssucks
eric_ssucks's picture

I love the flap!

Sun, 10/02/2016 - 17:55
jimmythefly
jimmythefly's picture

Where are you printing theses at? What material? Any post-processing of the surface?

Those look great, very cool project.

deadforkinglast wrote:
But honestly, I have no idea how I am going to follow through on that plan and I already have a pretty rad bike. I think I just like fucking with my bikes.

Sun, 10/02/2016 - 18:27
crowding
crowding's picture

I'm using shapeways, sintered nylon that they dye

The as-printed surface feels like soft sandstone and rapidly accumulates dirt, but about eleventy coats of spray laquer makes it like candy.

After that, a little sanding /reaming for surfaces that need to have a close fit.

Sun, 10/02/2016 - 18:52
cheese
cheese's picture

Flap looks sw8.

Sun, 10/02/2016 - 21:59
Andrew_Squirrel
Andrew_Squirrel's picture

Cool. Is the mudflap designed with holes such that the water spray is always deflected but the holes allow weight savings and are slightly more aerodynamic?

Mon, 10/03/2016 - 14:08
crowding
crowding's picture

yep. holes are angled so that direct spray is blocked and whatever gets through is sent on a downward trajectory

they were also intended to give it some flexibility but it turned out way stiffer than i was aiming for, it's gonna break the fender when it catches a curb

Mon, 10/03/2016 - 15:13
tamaso
tamaso's picture
(Reply to #426)

crowding wrote:
yep. holes are angled so that direct spray is blocked and whatever gets through is sent on a downward trajectory

they were also intended to give it some flexibility but it turned out way stiffer than i was aiming for, it's gonna break the fender when it catches a curb

Can you share more pics of the flap, from some different angles? Way into this concept.

Mon, 10/03/2016 - 16:03
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture
(Reply to #427)

crowding wrote:
chenghiz wrote:
i would like to subscribe to your newsletter

Retrofriction action works but I need to experiment with different friction materials
Indexing action is promising but needs to be a lot stronger and get fine tuned on cable pull
Whole package needs to be a lot smaller but I have some ideas for that

fuck yeah! have you gotten your hands on a Jtek barend yet?

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Mon, 10/03/2016 - 16:15
akasnowmaaan
akasnowmaaan's picture

That is really cool.

Should have said it was just a cross check with different geometry. - Todd

Mon, 10/03/2016 - 16:37
crowding
crowding's picture
(Reply to #429)

tamaso wrote:
Can you share more pics of the flap, from some different angles? Way into this concept.

http://a360.co/2drlXof

JUGE FREDD wrote:
have you gotten your hands on a Jtek barend yet?

yep. used one on my gearhub bike

Mon, 10/03/2016 - 17:24
tamaso
tamaso's picture
(Reply to #430)

crowding wrote:
tamaso wrote:
Can you share more pics of the flap, from some different angles? Way into this concept.

http://a360.co/2drlXof

Beauty! I'm gonna poke the shit out of a $5-for-two planet bike rubber flap with a hot nail to approximate this... Will report back.

Mon, 10/03/2016 - 19:58
lukasz
lukasz's picture

Mon, 10/03/2016 - 20:17
tehschkott
tehschkott's picture

This is so fucking cool my fav thread right now - right on Peter

DO NOT CONSTRUE MY COMMENTS AS AN ENDORSEMENT OF BICYCLING. BIKES ARE DANGEROUS, EXPENSIVE, AND EXHAUSTING. DO NOT RIDE THEM.

Tue, 10/04/2016 - 20:48
capn_pants
capn_pants's picture

I dunno if this counts, but it's bike-related, kind of? I finally figured out a way to organize my caps so I'm not always searching for the one I can't find. (also, spoke cards, because who rides with those in their wheels?)

Wanna hold hands?

Sat, 11/05/2016 - 21:03
jimmythefly
jimmythefly's picture

Nice! Every time I'm at Bikeworks or Recycled I look for a cool wheel for spoke card display. Yours looks good.

deadforkinglast wrote:
But honestly, I have no idea how I am going to follow through on that plan and I already have a pretty rad bike. I think I just like fucking with my bikes.

Sat, 11/05/2016 - 23:21
Face
Face's picture

Cool idea with the caps, I wanna copy that with gloves too.

Mr. Pubes wrote:
i fear that you are so lost in your own asshole that you may never be found again. do you have a flare gun? send for help.

Sun, 11/06/2016 - 10:41
capn_pants
capn_pants's picture
(Reply to #436)

Thanks. It cost $2 at the hardware store. S hooks and some twine (that I already had.)

Wanna hold hands?

Sun, 11/06/2016 - 12:21
capn_pants
capn_pants's picture
(Reply to #437)

jimmythefly wrote:
Nice! Every time I'm at Bikeworks or Recycled I look for a cool wheel for spoke card display. Yours looks good.

They probably have a bunch in the dead/recycling pile that can't be fixed or sold. That's where I got this one.

Wanna hold hands?

Sun, 11/06/2016 - 12:23
liquify
liquify's picture

A good idea for hats and gloves.
Cats bound to attack them. Well, one cat in particular.

Sun, 11/06/2016 - 16:35
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

hiya tarck
so i got a king single speed hub and, aside from way heavier and not-quite-as-usable at the dtswiss hub, it's great. except that you have to buy proprietary cogs. that are expensive. so i want to modify the existing freehub body to accept shimano cassettes. anyone have a suggestion?

i was thinking:
mount a dremel to a static surface
mount the freehub body to a moving surface
push the freehub into the measured dremel location, sort of like a mill. actually, a mill, but made with a few sliding pieces and a dremel.

"Folks want options!"

Mon, 12/12/2016 - 13:27
Lowrey'sOrgan
Lowrey&#039;sOrgan's picture

this sounds like more trouble than it's worth, and you'll probably break dremel bits, and you'll end up with chattery not-straight edges, and it'll look bad and maybe not work
take it to somebody with a real mill and it'll take them 5 minutes
also are you sure that simply removing material will make it work. like the only problem is one spline is is too wide, all the angles and everything else is the same?

Mon, 12/12/2016 - 13:39
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture
(Reply to #441)

Lowrey'sOrgan wrote:
the only problem is one spline is is too wide, all the angles and everything else is the same?

yep
you can buy modified cassettes from jefjones but then i'd be stuck buying them from him forever instead of building my own nerd cassette gearings

"Folks want options!"

Mon, 12/12/2016 - 13:45
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

where do i find a machinist? serious q.

"Folks want options!"

Mon, 12/12/2016 - 13:46
Lowrey'sOrgan
Lowrey&#039;sOrgan's picture

ADX?

Mon, 12/12/2016 - 13:56
Lowrey'sOrgan
Lowrey&#039;sOrgan's picture
Mon, 12/12/2016 - 13:57
Lowrey'sOrgan
Lowrey&#039;sOrgan's picture

send it to Sean/Ray/Jacques?
does Doug have a mill?
I'd offer but I'm about to leave the continent

Mon, 12/12/2016 - 13:58
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

who are sean and ray?

"Folks want options!"

Mon, 12/12/2016 - 14:00
Lowrey'sOrgan
Lowrey&#039;sOrgan's picture
Mon, 12/12/2016 - 14:02
Lowrey'sOrgan
Lowrey&#039;sOrgan's picture

also any framebuilder

Mon, 12/12/2016 - 14:03
Goddamnit Gunther
Goddamnit Gunther's picture

Finished 1 of a pair of homemade waxed canvas panniers

I suck at sewing. Definitely made some design mistakes but I think they'll work for awhile.

Endpoint wrote:
turdly buttways

Tue, 01/10/2017 - 13:55
tehschkott
tehschkott's picture

I think they need to be bigger

DO NOT CONSTRUE MY COMMENTS AS AN ENDORSEMENT OF BICYCLING. BIKES ARE DANGEROUS, EXPENSIVE, AND EXHAUSTING. DO NOT RIDE THEM.

Tue, 01/10/2017 - 14:45

Pages