Tarck Arts and Carfts. Post your home-built bikey stuff.

644 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rusty Piton
Rusty Piton's picture

Anyone used a combo U lock?

emor wrote:
Bicycle commuting is the worst way to get anywhere except for all the other ways.

Thu, 01/04/2018 - 09:34
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture

I have that exact combination U-lock and it's great. I want to replace all my locks with combination locks, and I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier, except that I still had it in the back of my head that combination locks are some kind of kid's toy. Now I feel the opposite way, that keyed locked are stupid and unnecessary.

The cable I bought separately, a decade ago, but it's a steel coiled cable, so what could you possibly not know about it?

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Thu, 01/04/2018 - 11:40
dotMR
dotMR's picture

I've had this OCD fantasy of having like-keyed bicycle locks across the entire family for a few years now

..but..

still haven't done it. I totally get wanting a combo lock.

Thu, 01/04/2018 - 11:44
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture

Exactly. Every lock with the same "key" (combination). That's my ideal.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Thu, 01/04/2018 - 12:12
oogens
oogens's picture

when I was working in a shop (about 4 years ago), some guy came in and picked our onguard combos pretty easily. we reset the combo in the bathroom a few times and he got it each time in about 15 seconds, just applied some pressure while turning the rotors. We stopped carrying them after that.

That was a while ago though, so maybe they improved the design

Thu, 01/04/2018 - 13:02
Andrew_Squirrel
Andrew_Squirrel's picture

I just picked up the Otto lock as my lightweight low security option, kinda want to to try that pressure trick.
I did notice it is very picky about having all the numbers align perfectly before releasing.

The only thing I don't like about the combo lock so far is that the inner numbers are hard to rotate without mistakenly spinning the outside numbers.

Thu, 01/04/2018 - 14:43
shane.rrr
shane.rrr's picture
(Reply to #607)

Andrew_Squirrel wrote:
I just picked up the Otto lock as my lightweight low security option, kinda want to to try that pressure trick.
I did notice it is very picky about having all the numbers align perfectly before releasing.

The only thing I don't like about the combo lock so far is that the inner numbers are hard to rotate without mistakenly spinning the outside numbers.

I've been eyeing this lock. Would you recommend it?

Thu, 01/04/2018 - 15:08
Andrew_Squirrel
Andrew_Squirrel's picture

Sure, seems fine for low security rides. We will see how it ages. My only worry is that it looks flimsy (and fluorescent) so I wonder how many thieves will notice it & give it a go (therefore injuring it). With the black aluminum palmy I was confident that it was inconspicuous yet serious looking despite being equivalently flimsy as the Otto. I'm just glad to be done with the barrel style keys / cylinder, utter garbage IME.

Thu, 01/04/2018 - 15:26
chairmandave
chairmandave's picture
(Reply to #609)

I got two from the initial Kickstarter offer. I did have one bad experience this past summer: I used the lock to secure the front wheel to the frame of my brother's old Nishiki MTB with a Wald basket as it was being transported on a hitch-mounted car rack. I cinched it as tightly as possible and set off on a roadtrip to Spokane. As I was driving on the freeway, I watched the bike jostle around in the rear view mirror. Over the course of 30 minutes, I noticed that the front wheel started to move around more and more until it flopped over as if nothing was restraining it. I pulled over and found the Otto lock had worked itself loose, with the numbers not matching my passcode. I chalked it up to road vibration and the steady tugging of the front basket's weight that made it loose.

I was going to email Otto about my findings but forgot about it till now. YMMV

Thu, 01/04/2018 - 15:45
Andrew_Squirrel
Andrew_Squirrel's picture

Oh wow, that is good to know.

Thu, 01/04/2018 - 15:59
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

Yeah I know somebody over there. I got to feel the locks up this summer and decided I wouldn’t buy one because I’ve got a little cable and a small padlock that says “Wolfpack” or something on it and it’s been a lightweight theft deterrent that’s light enough to fit in a Jerz pocket or small interior rando pocket

They certainly look cool though

"Folks want options!"

Thu, 01/04/2018 - 16:12
Rentable Faxmachine
Rentable Faxmachine's picture
(Reply to #612)

Andrew_Squirrel wrote:
Sure, seems fine for low security rides. We will see how it ages. My only worry is that it looks flimsy (and fluorescent) so I wonder how many thieves will notice it & give it a go (therefore injuring it). With the black aluminum palmy I was confident that it was inconspicuous yet serious looking despite being equivalently flimsy as the Otto. I'm just glad to be done with the barrel style keys / cylinder, utter garbage IME.

Agree with the hi-viz comment. It really calls attention to the lock, which as Squirrel said, can invite fuckery.

I have a black Rocky Mounts Carlito and it gives off a much more "serious" visual impression.

Thu, 01/04/2018 - 16:17
Blakey
Blakey's picture
(Reply to #613)

NOVELTYNAME wrote:
because I’ve got a little cable and a small padlock that says “Wolfpack” or something on it

No way. I used to use a light krypto cable plus a Wolfpack padlock as a small light lockup setup.

Thu, 01/04/2018 - 18:11
Andrew_Squirrel
Andrew_Squirrel's picture
(Reply to #614)

Rentable Faxmachine wrote:
Andrew_Squirrel wrote:
Sure, seems fine for low security rides. We will see how it ages. My only worry is that it looks flimsy (and fluorescent) so I wonder how many thieves will notice it & give it a go (therefore injuring it). With the black aluminum palmy I was confident that it was inconspicuous yet serious looking despite being equivalently flimsy as the Otto. I'm just glad to be done with the barrel style keys / cylinder, utter garbage IME.

Agree with the hi-viz comment. It really calls attention to the lock, which as Squirrel said, can invite fuckery.

I have a black Rocky Mounts Carlito and it gives off a much more "serious" visual impression.

Oh yeah, forgot I had considered that one for a bit. Looks even sturdier than the Palmy
The thing that really drew me to to the Otto was the weight.
middle sized 30" is only 155 grams
Palmy is 283 grams
Carlito is 395 grams

Thu, 01/04/2018 - 18:28
Rentable Faxmachine
Rentable Faxmachine's picture
(Reply to #615)

Andrew_Squirrel wrote:
Rentable Faxmachine wrote:
Andrew_Squirrel wrote:
Sure, seems fine for low security rides. We will see how it ages. My only worry is that it looks flimsy (and fluorescent) so I wonder how many thieves will notice it & give it a go (therefore injuring it). With the black aluminum palmy I was confident that it was inconspicuous yet serious looking despite being equivalently flimsy as the Otto. I'm just glad to be done with the barrel style keys / cylinder, utter garbage IME.

Agree with the hi-viz comment. It really calls attention to the lock, which as Squirrel said, can invite fuckery.

I have a black Rocky Mounts Carlito and it gives off a much more "serious" visual impression.

Oh yeah, forgot I had considered that one for a bit. Looks even sturdier than the Palmy
The thing that really drew me to to the Otto was the weight.
middle sized 30" is only 155 grams
Palmy is 283 grams
Carlito is 395 grams

Yeah, hard to beat the Otto when it comes to weight. Is yours the newer version with the improved coating (on the lock head) and reinforced strap tip?

Thu, 01/04/2018 - 18:37
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture
(Reply to #616)

Blakey wrote:
NOVELTYNAME wrote:
because I’ve got a little cable and a small padlock that says “Wolfpack” or something on it

No way. I used to use a light krypto cable plus a Wolfpack padlock as a small light lockup setup.

It is in fact the exact same lock. I’ve had it since 3rd grade and when you were here you said it was the same exact one you had

"Folks want options!"

Thu, 01/04/2018 - 18:42
johnasavoia
johnasavoia's picture

https://www.wish.com/c/54942c377da2f1718c0a7b83
I have one of these, either as a second lock or as the only lock for non commuter rides where I wanna pop into a donut shop or something.
Its pretty fucking light, not as much as the otto, but looks like a real lock. I would absolutely buy another.

Fri, 01/05/2018 - 09:13
shane.rrr
shane.rrr's picture

Is that aluminum?

Fri, 01/05/2018 - 09:42
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture

That's my other primary U-lock, actually. Got it on eBay for like $12 shipped, though the price has gone up a bit, and there are fewer color choices with my link. It would take about 30 second to cut through it with a dull saw blade, and you could probably deform it sufficiently with a pair of bolt cutters, but it looks like a regular u-lock, and that's all it needs to do when I'm in the grocery store in broad daylight for 5 minutes.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Fri, 01/05/2018 - 11:21
johnasavoia
johnasavoia's picture

Yeah its aluminum, could almost certainly pop it by just twisting the bike against it hard enough. But it looks the part.

Fri, 01/05/2018 - 18:56
VT regularbike
VT regularbike's picture

Depending on the type of aluminum I think you could be pretty surprised how hard it can be. I mean yes it could be easily sawed but I think twisting against it would be pretty unlikely without significantly damaging the frame.

Miguel wrote:
i mean as long as we're spending money, lets just set the wallet on fire ok

Fri, 01/05/2018 - 20:19
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture

The only purpose of this U-lock is to look like my bike is locked in public.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Fri, 01/05/2018 - 22:40
Rusty Piton
Rusty Piton's picture

Why not just carry a regular Kripto mini?

emor wrote:
Bicycle commuting is the worst way to get anywhere except for all the other ways.

Sat, 01/06/2018 - 13:18
Face
Face's picture
(Reply to #624)

Rusty Piton wrote:
Why not just carry a regular Kripto mini?

Mr. Pubes wrote:
i fear that you are so lost in your own asshole that you may never be found again. do you have a flare gun? send for help.

Sat, 01/06/2018 - 13:29
ICU81MI
ICU81MI's picture

Real locks are heavier.

Sat, 01/06/2018 - 13:39
Rusty Piton
Rusty Piton's picture

I mean, I guess

emor wrote:
Bicycle commuting is the worst way to get anywhere except for all the other ways.

Sat, 01/06/2018 - 13:59
johnasavoia
johnasavoia's picture

cost? weight? krypto mini is my main lock, pinkie cheapo is wheel to frame or when I'm pretending to care about how much weight I have on the bike.

Sat, 01/06/2018 - 16:23
Face
Face's picture

Walking home sucks though.

Mr. Pubes wrote:
i fear that you are so lost in your own asshole that you may never be found again. do you have a flare gun? send for help.

Sun, 01/07/2018 - 03:23
dotMR
dotMR's picture
(Reply to #629)

Face wrote:
Walking home sucks though.

Sun, 01/07/2018 - 14:39
drwelby
drwelby's picture

Made some fork-mounted bags for winter pükbaacking to carry the extra puffy stuff I would normally throw in a backpack. I've seen some other designs with a full rail to provide triple-boss mounts but since I don't have any other forks with them anyways I started from scratch. I went with two semi-independent mounts that are riveted to an internal thermoformed ABS internal cradle. It has no other features or functions. Just a bag that mounts to my fork legs. They're about 6L capacity.

Thu, 01/11/2018 - 19:05
jdsmooth
jdsmooth's picture

those look fantastic!
could you post a photo of the mounts?

Five-foot drops at speed on unstable terrain? Yep.

Fri, 01/12/2018 - 09:51
shane.rrr
shane.rrr's picture

What material is the bag?

Fri, 01/12/2018 - 10:40
drwelby
drwelby's picture

It's salvaged from an old barbecue cove that blew away and got stuck on a barbed wire fence. Looks like some kind of coated nylon or poly. It has a light nylon liner for the bottom 10" to cover the internal stiffener, then just the bbq fabric in the top couple of inches to make it easier to roll.

Fri, 01/12/2018 - 11:02
euclid
euclid's picture

Does it come off without tools?

Fri, 01/12/2018 - 14:09
drwelby
drwelby's picture

No, it's mounted with hose clamps. I guess you could get those hose clamps that have a key built in.

Fri, 01/12/2018 - 17:06
littletinyfish
littletinyfish's picture

Where would I go to produce a small run of plastic game pieces? There is a plastics place across the street from my house, but they don't produce anything less than 10,000,000 parts. 3D printing is too time-consuming and too imprecise. I need somewhere in the range of 42,000.

this was a big deal a hundred years ago when everything sucked balls ---match avatar

Sat, 01/13/2018 - 12:58
Shortpants
Shortpants's picture

Have you asked around on some board game forums?

Sat, 01/13/2018 - 13:24
littletinyfish
littletinyfish's picture
(Reply to #638)

Shortpants wrote:
Have you asked around on some board game forums?

I was hoping to not have to join another forum since Tarck usually has some weirdly deep knowledge about various subjects, but I'll probably eventually give that a try.

this was a big deal a hundred years ago when everything sucked balls ---match avatar

Sat, 01/13/2018 - 15:57
iwillbe
iwillbe's picture

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/

Could be a starting point for this kind of thing.

All music is just the Eagles with different geometry.

Sat, 01/13/2018 - 16:02
TimArchyLime
TimArchyLime's picture

I might have a link in the gaming community that I could ask directly. Would have to wait until Monday though.

Snarky Varking wrote:
Tarckbike- Where mile 11 means you're on a long ride.

Sun, 01/14/2018 - 00:03
littletinyfish
littletinyfish's picture
(Reply to #641)

iwillbe wrote:
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/

Could be a starting point for this kind of thing.

These print-and-play places are nice for standardized stuff, like printing cards and boards, but fall short when it comes to more advanced customization. I'll need to produce little bike racers, (of course).

This is still a nice resource, though. It has a few more useful bits than the place I have been using (https://www.printplaygames.com/).

this was a big deal a hundred years ago when everything sucked balls ---match avatar

Sun, 01/14/2018 - 13:51
iwillbe
iwillbe's picture

Ah, cool, you're a solid step ahead of the game designers I know. They're all doing deckbuilding card games, so they just need quality cardstock printing and very basic tokens. Good luck getting it done, and post a link to your shop / kickstarter once the project's underway, I'd love to play through it!

All music is just the Eagles with different geometry.

Sun, 01/14/2018 - 15:04
iwillbe
iwillbe's picture

BACK TO THE THREAD TOPIC, THOUGH:

Two small cold weather clothing things:

1. Wrist Cuffs
This one is very basic but: cut a 6" cuff off of a DeFeet sock, wear it over the end of a ls jersey sleeve / arm warmer, it comes up to the base of the palm, thus covering the gap between glove and sleeve. In 27-40degree weather, it really helps to keep the hands warm, as your blood isn't being chilled by the harsh winds of winter

2. Mylar Shoe Inserts
This one is a work in progress. I bought a coupe of mylar blankets, and cut one up in the pattern of the Superfeet insoles that use in my cycling shoes. I'd already taped over the air vents in the soles of the shoes, and wear neoprene overshoes in cold weather. As the sole is a massive heatsink, I wanted some actual insulation. A sheet of shaped Mylar on the footbed seems better than nothing, but I think that to be actually effective they need to be closer to my foot, and to come up and around the interior of the shoe.
The real solution here is to buy the same Lake winter shoes everyone here seems to find on clearance, but at $3 a pop, a yard of Mylar and a bit of tape is good to try first.

All music is just the Eagles with different geometry.

Sun, 01/14/2018 - 15:12

Pages