All things MTB

10416 posts / 0 new
Last post
anomaly
(Reply to #151)

Smitty wrote:
There's a few 650B mountain bikes out there. Not so great for tire and wheel selection but people like them. It's just another option, I don't think the wheel size debate comes down to much more than opinion

Mojo HD 140 is certified, and highly regarded, in a 650B config.

Tue, 02/07/2012 - 22:24
CheshireCat
CheshireCat's picture

my friend shattered his hongfu frame in one season.

-is a cat
-is a REAL doctor!

Wed, 02/08/2012 - 00:05
motorbacon
motorbacon's picture
(Reply to #153)

CheshireCat wrote:
my friend shattered his hongfu frame in one season.

I've seen shattered name brand frames. Whats your point?

Wed, 02/08/2012 - 00:49
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture

Yeah the issues with chinese crabon ain't really durability, especially when most of em are slightly overweight compared to non-fred mainstream carbon.

What you actually run into is shit like the cable stops being attached slightly crooked, or there being tiny flashings at the headset cups or crown race that need to be sanded down. That and them not sending you the finish options you ordered, especially chickening out on doing the extra work for matte.

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Wed, 02/08/2012 - 01:10
Petr5
Petr5's picture

And you know, an lbs to get you a warrantied frame when it does explode. I think Nates fill in the gap situation is the only reason I'd ever spend less on a cf frame than what al frames go for.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
"Your bike sucks and we have a team of biased experts to pseudo-scientifically test that hypothesis, all in blue shirts."

Wed, 02/08/2012 - 02:34
deadforkinglast
deadforkinglast's picture

^That, somewhat. I've seen enough "nice," name-brand frames asplode due to user error or manufacturing defects to recognize the value of having a company to hold accountable when shit goes south. That said, you don't get that coverage when you buy used either, and for the prices a lot of these generic China carbon frames are fetching brand new, it might be worth it to buy a frame without the "who knows what the fuck the last guy did to this" part of buying used.

Wed, 02/08/2012 - 02:49
motorbacon
motorbacon's picture

um, 20% off crash replacement frames for certain name brands ends up being around 1500 dollars in a lot of situations. keep that in mind.

Wed, 02/08/2012 - 02:52
deadforkinglast
deadforkinglast's picture

Got some of these (at crazy EP price) to support my flat pedal habit:

I haven't really ridden in them, but I wore them around at work all day to help break in the fairly stiff upper and they seem quite comfortable, which is good, since they are quite ugly. A big step up in comfort from the various skate and BMX shoes I've been riding in (Vans flats, Half Cabs, Duffs Tierra, various Converse). I test rode my tune up bikes in them and they seem to have nice grip on the pedals, but it's hard to tell from three minutes of pedaling a shitty, too-big hybrid around the parking lot. I'm probably going to ride at Tamarancho sometime Thursday morning, so I'll put them through the paces then.

Wed, 02/08/2012 - 03:00
deadforkinglast
deadforkinglast's picture
(Reply to #159)

motorbacon wrote:
um, 20% off crash replacement frames for certain name brands ends up being around 1500 dollars in a lot of situations. keep that in mind.

But if a crack develops near the seat clamp, most name brands will replace the frame for free, even if we both know goddamn well that it was your fault. Probably half (or more) of the warranties we process are a result of customer misuse, though I can't be certain, since the customer will never tell you that. Even if they don't say, though, we can almost always tell, as can the manufacturer, but it's more worth it for us and for them to just roll with it, send the customer a new frame/part/whatever and keep them stoked on the brand.

If you're a semi-generic brand out of China or Taiwan, that's not how it works. You don't offer that kind of support and that helps keep costs low. Not necessarily a bad way to do it either. Take the money you save and buy yourself another frame (or two or three) if the one you got gets fucked up.

Basically, do you buy insurance or self-insure?

Wed, 02/08/2012 - 03:09
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture

You'd be surprised, from personal experience a crabon vendor sent me a free replacement after a shared fuckup, I just had to pay for shipping.

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Wed, 02/08/2012 - 03:36
anomaly
(Reply to #161)

CheshireCat wrote:
my friend shattered his hongfu frame in one season.

Is that the same dude who also got a warranty replacement for free from Hong Fu and said he would have bought another anyways since it lasted 6k miles of expert (now pro) level racing?

Wed, 02/08/2012 - 10:14
timberland boots
timberland boots's picture

Eh, my Giant has a lifetime warranty on the frame and I have it on good authority that they actually will replace it without caring or giving you a hard time. Have a friend who broke 3 trek hard tails before they told him "this is the last one we are gonna give you for free". Warranty replacement can be pretty useful on an MTB

Anal Beads Al-Qaeda Ball Gag NAMBLA

Wed, 02/08/2012 - 10:26
CheshireCat
CheshireCat's picture
(Reply to #163)

Mr. Bear wrote:
CheshireCat wrote:
my friend shattered his hongfu frame in one season.

Is that the same dude who also got a warranty replacement for free from Hong Fu and said he would have bought another anyways since it lasted 6k miles of expert (now pro) level racing?

ewers? yeah.

-is a cat
-is a REAL doctor!

Wed, 02/08/2012 - 11:08
hiljentaa
hiljentaa's picture

I finally went to Ray's (Cle) on Monday with some friends. Had so much fun. Shredded gnar, and got shredded by gnar. Totally want a mountain bike now.

For Ray's, it seems a singlespeed is the way to go. There are just too many obstacles that would destroy derailleurs (especially as a n00b). So I am looking for a singlespeed, or easily singlespeed adaptable mountain bike. I'd prefer something steel, and rigid with the possibility to put a suspension fork on when I can afford to do so.

Now here's my either ridiculous or awesome idea. I was thinking about grabbing a rigid ss xc-ish 29er, swapping a slightly shorter stem x riser collabo and putting Schwalbe 2.35 Super Motos on for Rays. Keep longer stem, flat bars, and knobbies for actual trail riding.

JA or BA?

As far as bikes go, I'd like something cheapish for now. Something that I can beat on and not worry too much about. Local shop has last years Raleigh XXIX on sale in my size. Karate Monkey, Redline Monocog Flight, or Trek Marlin SS (swap shit fork for Salsa Cromoto Grande [geo wouldn't be perfect for this option, but probably could be pretty light]) were the other options I was also looking at.

What else would you guys recommend in the $600-1000 price range?

You guys think giving up the maneuverability of the 26er at Ray's for the better ride on trails of the 29er is worth it?

Wed, 02/08/2012 - 11:44
Petr5
Petr5's picture

Dang... Maybe that is my route. Now if I could find one with a 25" ett

Sneaky Viking wrote:
"Your bike sucks and we have a team of biased experts to pseudo-scientifically test that hypothesis, all in blue shirts."

Wed, 02/08/2012 - 11:48
deadforkinglast
deadforkinglast's picture

I feel like a 26" DJ with Kenda K-Rads or Kiniptions would be perfect for Ray's, but getting a bike specifically for that might be a bit silly. I'm sure your 29er idea will work fine. Beware wide riser bars and short stems, though. You may end up liking them so much you never take them off, because they're awesome.

Wed, 02/08/2012 - 12:05
motorbacon
motorbacon's picture
(Reply to #167)

hiljentaa wrote:
I finally went to Ray's (Cle) on Monday with some friends. Had so much fun. Shredded gnar, and got shredded by gnar. Totally want a mountain bike now.

For Ray's, it seems a singlespeed is the way to go. There are just too many obstacles that would destroy derailleurs (especially as a n00b). So I am looking for a singlespeed, or easily singlespeed adaptable mountain bike. I'd prefer something steel, and rigid with the possibility to put a suspension fork on when I can afford to do so.

Now here's my either ridiculous or awesome idea. I was thinking about grabbing a rigid ss xc-ish 29er, swapping a slightly shorter stem x riser collabo and putting Schwalbe 2.35 Super Motos on for Rays. Keep longer stem, flat bars, and knobbies for actual trail riding.

JA or BA?

As far as bikes go, I'd like something cheapish for now. Something that I can beat on and not worry too much about. Local shop has last years Raleigh XXIX on sale in my size. Karate Monkey, Redline Monocog Flight, or Trek Marlin SS (swap shit fork for Salsa Cromoto Grande [geo wouldn't be perfect for this option, but probably could be pretty light]) were the other options I was also looking at.

What else would you guys recommend in the $600-1000 price range?

You guys think giving up the maneuverability of the 26er at Ray's for the better ride on trails of the 29er is worth it?

get something you can throw gears on later, if you realize SS ain't working. I've yet to destroy hangers/derailleurs and I'm a nooob. A noob with 2 years of riding all sorts of shit.

Wed, 02/08/2012 - 12:06
Larry Winget
Larry Winget's picture

Kona Unit?

Seem to come up used/upgraded pretty frequently around here.

The Pitbull of Personal Development®

Wed, 02/08/2012 - 12:14
hiljentaa
hiljentaa's picture
(Reply to #169)

deadforkinglast wrote:
I feel like a 26" DJ with Kenda K-Rads or Kiniptions would be perfect for Ray's, but getting a bike specifically for that might be a bit silly. I'm sure your 29er idea will work fine. Beware wide riser bars and short stems, though. You may end up liking them so much you never take them off, because they're awesome.

DJ bike w/ nice susp. fork is definitely the perfect bike for Ray's - see tons of them there, but I want something that I can ride on trails as well (I don't have any sort of MTB right now).

I'm not tryin' to do tricks or anything. Maybe cruise the bowls a bit and hit the jumps and pump tracks, and I think a 29er would do that well enough with risers and the saddle lowered.

I feel like the SS rigid 29r with balloon tires idea would handle the terrain there well enough in the off season, and still give me something to ride with a few component changes on real trails when the weather permits.

motorbacon wrote:
get something you can throw gears on later, if you realize SS ain't working. I've yet to destroy hangers/derailleurs and I'm a nooob. A noob with 2 years of riding all sorts of shit.

Definitely a feature I'd like as well. Thinkin' throw gears (maybe even a 1x setup! ;) ), knobbies, and flat bars on once weather gets nicer for real trails.

tarckeemoon wrote:
Kona Unit?

Seem to come up used/upgraded pretty frequently around here.

Unfortunately no Kona dealer around. Will look into it though!
Edit: Shit, I'm an idiot. Local shop I frequent is apparently a Kona dealer!

Wed, 02/08/2012 - 12:41
CheshireCat
CheshireCat's picture

santa cruz chameleon.

easily made SS
26er
good for DJ, XC or whatever you want to do with it.

i friggin love that bike.

-is a cat
-is a REAL doctor!

Wed, 02/08/2012 - 13:47
wickedwagon
wickedwagon's picture

I've got a giant stp. It's mainly a dj, but for someone shorter than I, You could prolly get the seat high enough to do xc.

jordanpattern wrote:
BRING ME THE BINDERS OF WOMEN!

Wed, 02/08/2012 - 18:05
motorbacon
motorbacon's picture
(Reply to #172)

CheshireCat wrote:
santa cruz chameleon.

easily made SS
26er
good for DJ, XC or whatever you want to do with it.

i friggin love that bike.

agreed. friend of mine has one set up for xc. he loves it.

Wed, 02/08/2012 - 18:08
Gary Fissure

pm me anyone, if you're interested in a Monocog Flight 29 (19") green. frame/fork or mostly built.

Wed, 02/08/2012 - 19:22
deadforkinglast
deadforkinglast's picture
(Reply to #174)

CheshireCat wrote:
santa cruz chameleon.

easily made SS
26er
good for DJ, XC or whatever you want to do with it.

i friggin love that bike.

Oh hell yeah. I love the shit outta my Chameleon. If you can find one of the old ones with the horizontal dropouts instead of the EBB, do it. The geo is a little slacker and you can run any fork from 80-150mm on them. At 80mm, you've got a 70/73 HA/SA, with a 12" BB height, perfect for an XC bike. I think if I had to only have one mtb, it would be my chameleon.

Wed, 02/08/2012 - 19:52
Face
Face's picture

Marin Saturday anyone?

Mr. Pubes wrote:
i fear that you are so lost in your own asshole that you may never be found again. do you have a flare gun? send for help.

Thu, 02/09/2012 - 00:09
motorbacon
motorbacon's picture

Doing 8 hour solo here.
http://hammerstein24hrmtb.com/

Starting CCCX MTB Series on March 10th.
http://www.cccxcycling.com/2012xccoverpage.html

Napa Valley Dirt Classic
http://web2.puc.edu/Pioneers/NVDC/

Thu, 02/09/2012 - 00:22
oogens
oogens's picture
(Reply to #177)

Smitty wrote:
Eh, my Giant has a lifetime warranty on the frame and I have it on good authority that they actually will replace it without caring or giving you a hard time. Have a friend who broke 3 trek hard tails before they told him "this is the last one we are gonna give you for free". Warranty replacement can be pretty useful on an MTB

we just did a warranty replacement for an 09 STP with a cracked ht/dt junction. Giant sent a new '12 STP frame (much nicer, retails for about the same as what he paid for his complete). He had to pay for shipping and labor on swapping parts, but still much cheaper than trying to upgrade.

Thu, 02/09/2012 - 00:31
anomaly

Re: $150 390 gram Chinese crabon rims...

Ok, tonight, I did the same test but lateraly...

The 25 pounds weight was to heavy, I put 10 pounds on each rims:

Specialized oem 450sl : 0.480" or 12mm
Specialized Roval carbon: 0.240" or 6mm
Chinese AM: 0.175" or 4.5mm.

Seems that chinese rim are way stiffer than ordinary alloy rim...in both direction. That will be uncomfortable for my HT!

Pics:
img689.imageshack.us/img689/6861/001mkq.jpg

http://forums.mtbr.com/9017701-post435.html

Mon, 02/20/2012 - 01:53
Larry Winget
Larry Winget's picture

Uncomfortable? Does this dude ride without tires?

The Pitbull of Personal Development®

Mon, 02/20/2012 - 02:21
Russell
Russell's picture

Re: first mtb, whatever you do, you're gonna reevaluate once you get some riding in so I'd just buy the cheapest nashbar/performance/price point frame you can find and throw a rigid fork on it.

MoonCat wrote:
Americas turban

Mon, 02/20/2012 - 11:17
akasnowmaaan
akasnowmaaan's picture

^this. First mtb should always be cheap to decent hard tail at best.

MTB value drops a lot faster in resale than road. Make it hurt less to flip. It's basically your 'training wheels'.

Should have said it was just a cross check with different geometry. - Todd

Mon, 02/20/2012 - 15:52
timberland boots
timberland boots's picture

WTH, finally went and ordered a fork only to be told "yeah we can't get Sektor forks in Canada anymore, would you be interested in buying a Revelation for way more money?"

Long story short, I might be getting a stupid good deal on a Marzocchi 55 ti, then dropping the travel on it by 20mm and just using that. It's a way burlier fork than I necessarily need, but the price is right and between the air spring and the ti negative spring it weighs the same as my current coil fork so it's not like the weight is gonna be too unbearable

Anal Beads Al-Qaeda Ball Gag NAMBLA

Mon, 02/20/2012 - 16:16
anomaly

3 hours on a borrowed 26" wheel hard tail (Cove Handjob setup as an XC race bike w/ 100mm fork) as the brakes on the Titus need to be bled. Hit up 2 trails (Thousand SSS and Happersberger for the locals) that average -20 percent grade for over a mile with a huge amount of rock and root drops thrown in the mix. All in all I was impressed by the Cove but I seriously doubt I would ride those trails again with such limited travel. Hitting a set of 4 2-4' drops in a row was painful.

Happ today

And on a clear day looking at the trail, it follows the spine in the foreground

Mon, 02/20/2012 - 17:52
deadforkinglast
deadforkinglast's picture
(Reply to #184)

Smitty wrote:
WTH, finally went and ordered a fork only to be told "yeah we can't get Sektor forks in Canada anymore, would you be interested in buying a Revelation for way more money?"

Long story short, I might be getting a stupid good deal on a Marzocchi 55 ti, then dropping the travel on it by 20mm and just using that. It's a way burlier fork than I necessarily need, but the price is right and between the air spring and the ti negative spring it weighs the same as my current coil fork so it's not like the weight is gonna be too unbearable

Dude, those Marzocchis with the Ti negative spring are super rad. Do it!

Mon, 02/20/2012 - 18:16
anomaly
(Reply to #185)

deadforkinglast wrote:
Smitty wrote:
WTH, finally went and ordered a fork only to be told "yeah we can't get Sektor forks in Canada anymore, would you be interested in buying a Revelation for way more money?"

Long story short, I might be getting a stupid good deal on a Marzocchi 55 ti, then dropping the travel on it by 20mm and just using that. It's a way burlier fork than I necessarily need, but the price is right and between the air spring and the ti negative spring it weighs the same as my current coil fork so it's not like the weight is gonna be too unbearable

Dude, those Marzocchis with the Ti negative spring are super rad. Do it!

When I finally get project Chinese crabon w/ my Marz 44 Ti done I'll probably bring it by so you can help me with setting it up. I hear they are very sensitive to adjustment.

Mon, 02/20/2012 - 19:49
timberland boots
timberland boots's picture

DFL - awesome, glad to hear it. The installation of a spacer to drop the travel seems pretty simple so I will probably pick it up tomorrow. Excited to be moving from 32 to 35mm stanchions and going from 9mm qr to 20mm TA, probably going to be a huge improvement all around

Anal Beads Al-Qaeda Ball Gag NAMBLA

Mon, 02/20/2012 - 20:00
CheshireCat
CheshireCat's picture

funnybike fits me!

when they built it the first thing they said was that it would fit our climber as a CX frame. lololol.

yeah. It shreds. Finally. After not having ridden any XC hardtails that I liked/fit me (the niners were okay) this thing absolutely rips.

first time riding it ever was during a 4 man 24hr race.

It shredded like I was born to do it from the get go.
Sweet jeebus I love this bike.

-is a cat
-is a REAL doctor!

Mon, 02/20/2012 - 22:06
anomaly
(Reply to #188)

Smitty wrote:
DFL - awesome, glad to hear it. The installation of a spacer to drop the travel seems pretty simple so I will probably pick it up tomorrow. Excited to be moving from 32 to 35mm stanchions and going from 9mm qr to 20mm TA, probably going to be a huge improvement all around

Yes, the increase in stiffness should be noticeable as heck.

Mon, 02/20/2012 - 23:22
motorbacon
motorbacon's picture

seriously considering marz fork cause sounds beefy as fuck.

Tue, 02/21/2012 - 00:19
deadforkinglast
deadforkinglast's picture
(Reply to #190)

CheshireCat wrote:
funnybike fits me!

when they built it the first thing they said was that it would fit our climber as a CX frame. lololol.

yeah. It shreds. Finally. After not having ridden any XC hardtails that I liked/fit me (the niners were okay) this thing absolutely rips.

first time riding it ever was during a 4 man 24hr race.

It shredded like I was born to do it from the get go.
Sweet jeebus I love this bike.

That's pretty fucking rad, dude.

Tue, 02/21/2012 - 03:13
anomaly
(Reply to #191)

motorbacon wrote:
seriously considering marz fork cause sounds beefy as fuck.

Check around on MTBR in the Marz thread in the 29er forum. Everyone bought them for ~$300 shipped from Chainlove or DeptofGoods but most are now asking $450-500. I've seen several for sale for original purchase price though.

Tue, 02/21/2012 - 09:34
timberland boots
timberland boots's picture

Ordered that fork. The shop I'm ordering from markets themselves as "the suspension experts in Toronto" so I told them "you know what, how about you lower the fork for me?" and now a far more competent person than myself will be taking care of that operation. Not that I haven't taken apart a suspension fork before, it's just a big pain in the ass quite frankly.

Super excited for my fork. Since the trails are going to be muddy and shitty for some time now, I think I'm gonna spend my weekend riding down huge staircases or something to tide me over until spring

Anal Beads Al-Qaeda Ball Gag NAMBLA

Tue, 02/21/2012 - 11:54
Russell
Russell's picture
(Reply to #193)

Smitty wrote:
I think I'm gonna spend my weekend riding down huge staircases or something to tide me over until spring

<3

MoonCat wrote:
Americas turban

Wed, 02/22/2012 - 09:58
CheshireCat
CheshireCat's picture

okay. i rode trails in benicia. they were mostly boring flat single/doubletrack.
I found one nice downhill with some rocks that got me excited, otherwise I was just kind of riding around some swampy well groomed cyclocross trails. The 29er was kind of overkill.

Does anyone have some good technical trails in north(east) bay that I could go shred that are close to vallejo? I tried the usual routes but I'm afraid i'm incompetent at finding trails on the interwebs...

I'm looking for a decent afternoon ride.
I know mare island has to have some shit but I haven't found it yet if it does exist.

-is a cat
-is a REAL doctor!

Wed, 02/22/2012 - 11:24
wickedwagon
wickedwagon's picture
(Reply to #195)

Russell wrote:
Smitty wrote:
I think I'm gonna spend my weekend riding down huge staircases or something to tide me over until spring

<3

did this yesterday on my dj bike. was pretty awesome.

jordanpattern wrote:
BRING ME THE BINDERS OF WOMEN!

Wed, 02/22/2012 - 13:13
Russell
Russell's picture

There's one stair set about 100+ stairs long near the entrance/exit of our trails that rich said "I'm gonna ride down that when I have a fs" back when we were riding ss 29ers. Please don't

MoonCat wrote:
Americas turban

Wed, 02/22/2012 - 15:42
anomaly
(Reply to #197)

CheshireCat wrote:
okay. i rode trails in benicia. they were mostly boring flat single/doubletrack.
I found one nice downhill with some rocks that got me excited, otherwise I was just kind of riding around some swampy well groomed cyclocross trails. The 29er was kind of overkill.

Does anyone have some good technical trails in north(east) bay that I could go shred that are close to vallejo? I tried the usual routes but I'm afraid i'm incompetent at finding trails on the interwebs...

I'm looking for a decent afternoon ride.
I know mare island has to have some shit but I haven't found it yet if it does exist.

You need to post on the NorCal MTBR forum.

Wed, 02/22/2012 - 16:58
jr
jr's picture

Ok I've given up the idea of blowing cash on crabon rims for my fs single speed 26er for geared wheelset. Just going Crests laced to the factory second i9 classic hubs I'm getting, just like on my 29er. Unless you guys do some real smooth talking and reconvince me that the extra $200 (including shipping) and wait time is worth it.

miguelaron wrote:
obese and unamerican
is your name Fat Albert Queda by any chance?

euclid wrote:
If you never open packages or slice fruit, is life really worth living?

Wed, 02/22/2012 - 18:16
Russell
Russell's picture

Not worth it, save your money. Buy more awesome purple shit.

MoonCat wrote:
Americas turban

Wed, 02/22/2012 - 18:23
jr
jr's picture

Best advice I've gotten in a long time.

miguelaron wrote:
obese and unamerican
is your name Fat Albert Queda by any chance?

euclid wrote:
If you never open packages or slice fruit, is life really worth living?

Wed, 02/22/2012 - 18:35

Pages