All things MTB

10077 posts / 0 new
Last post
Elderbear
Elderbear's picture
(Reply to #101)

oogenssssss wrote:
maybe i just need to find a giant to steal from someone for a try

Come to MPLS. I work for Giant dealer!

johnnyraja wrote:
This is the most pointless conversation ever had on a forum entirely devoted to pointless conversation.

Mon, 01/30/2012 - 12:54
deadforkinglast
deadforkinglast's picture
(Reply to #102)

Smitty wrote:
- Giant Trance x owner who can't upgrade his fork to 140mm unless he buys a Fox because no other manufacturer makes a tapered fork in 140. Thanks Giant, that extra stiffness is really helping me out....

Smitty, we've been over this before. Get a fucking reducer cup and a Sektor and stop whining.

Mon, 01/30/2012 - 13:11
timberland boots
timberland boots's picture

I'm not whining, I'm saying it's a bad fucking system when to get a fork to work in your frame you have to buy a 50-100 dollar headset and then use the bottom portion of that with the top portion of your old headset. That's jank as fuck and it makes more sense not to buy a stupid frame in the first place.

Aside from that in the case of the new standard, I imagine the number of 1.25 to 1.125 reducing headsets in existence are pretty slim anyway since nobody but Giant is making frame with this head tube standard in the first place, why even bother? I'm not saying "oh woe is me feel bad for me" I'm just saying that if I could go back I wouldn't buy a frame that makes me work around design features who's benefits are at best pretty fucking dubious.

Anal Beads Al-Qaeda Ball Gag NAMBLA

Mon, 01/30/2012 - 13:47
Petr5
Petr5's picture

I've got a similar regret. Headshok

edit: and now I'm saving up for a bike with a lefty. Somebody slap me.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
"Your bike sucks and we have a team of biased experts to pseudo-scientifically test that hypothesis, all in blue shirts."

Mon, 01/30/2012 - 14:00
jimmythefly
jimmythefly's picture
(Reply to #105)

akasnowmaaan wrote:
1) That little move through the rocks at 3:07 is just beautiful.
2) I want a dog.

I've got a dag, now want a gopro to capture the action. It's fing amazing how fast he (Roscoe) is through anything mildly technical. I've tried to ride away from him, but can only do it on straight flat sections.

-edit as for froks, I want a 29er with a QR15 thru-axle, but need non-tapered steerer. They exist, but way easier to find tapered versions.

deadforkinglast wrote:
But honestly, I have no idea how I am going to follow through on that plan and I already have a pretty rad bike. I think I just like fucking with my bikes.

Mon, 01/30/2012 - 14:30
anomaly

Get the Satori.

Mon, 01/30/2012 - 23:56
oogens
oogens's picture
(Reply to #107)

Elderbear wrote:
oogenssssss wrote:
maybe i just need to find a giant to steal from someone for a try

Come to MPLS. I work for Giant dealer!

lol as do I, but we only have konas on demo. maybe when the giant sales rep comes in I'll see about finding a loaner for a day.

inclined to get the reign or trance now, and i'll get the ibis 29er in a few years haha.

Tue, 01/31/2012 - 01:38
deadforkinglast
deadforkinglast's picture
(Reply to #108)

Smitty wrote:
I'm not whining, I'm saying it's a bad fucking system when to get a fork to work in your frame you have to buy a 50-100 dollar headset and then use the bottom portion of that with the top portion of your old headset. That's jank as fuck and it makes more sense not to buy a stupid frame in the first place.

Aside from that in the case of the new standard, I imagine the number of 1.25 to 1.125 reducing headsets in existence are pretty slim anyway since nobody but Giant is making frame with this head tube standard in the first place, why even bother? I'm not saying "oh woe is me feel bad for me" I'm just saying that if I could go back I wouldn't buy a frame that makes me work around design features who's benefits are at best pretty fucking dubious.

I mean, you are right in your frustration with all the various "standards," but generally the various internal headsets are sold as separate uppers and lowers, so you'll just have to get one half. As for the number of headsets, Cane Creek makes them all, and what else do you really need?

I'm mostly just being contrary, but you have a lot of options. Also, the Rockshox Revelation comes in a tapered version. It comes stock at 150mm, but can be lowered to 140 or 130 with the included spacers. Just sayin....

Tue, 01/31/2012 - 02:29
motorbacon
motorbacon's picture

Would love to do something like this

tc: Polish, I presume, is an odd language

ENDURO ME from Enduro Me on Vimeo.

Tue, 01/31/2012 - 02:31
motorbacon
motorbacon's picture

lulz at 50 seconds.

Tue, 01/31/2012 - 07:29
anomaly

Local shop has the Ibis Mojo SL-R available for demo for the next week, calling them as soon as they open today to reserve one.

Tue, 01/31/2012 - 09:00
bobbythehawk
bobbythehawk's picture

i want to ride in some dirt - fucking rain + tons of riders + weirdo temps have totally trashed my local trails. Sux, everything is getting blown out :(

Tue, 01/31/2012 - 14:18
motorbacon
motorbacon's picture
(Reply to #113)

richbobby wrote:
i want to ride in some dirt - fucking rain + tons of riders + weirdo temps have totally trashed my local trails. Sux, everything is getting blown out :(

Our trails haven't seen rain in a long, long time. Like actual, sustained rain so it's summer like out here and it fucking blows. Dusty, loose. ugh.

Tue, 01/31/2012 - 14:27
timberland boots
timberland boots's picture
(Reply to #114)

deadforkinglast wrote:
Smitty wrote:
I'm not whining, I'm saying it's a bad fucking system when to get a fork to work in your frame you have to buy a 50-100 dollar headset and then use the bottom portion of that with the top portion of your old headset. That's jank as fuck and it makes more sense not to buy a stupid frame in the first place.

Aside from that in the case of the new standard, I imagine the number of 1.25 to 1.125 reducing headsets in existence are pretty slim anyway since nobody but Giant is making frame with this head tube standard in the first place, why even bother? I'm not saying "oh woe is me feel bad for me" I'm just saying that if I could go back I wouldn't buy a frame that makes me work around design features who's benefits are at best pretty fucking dubious.

I mean, you are right in your frustration with all the various "standards," but generally the various internal headsets are sold as separate uppers and lowers, so you'll just have to get one half. As for the number of headsets, Cane Creek makes them all, and what else do you really need?

I'm mostly just being contrary, but you have a lot of options. Also, the Rockshox Revelation comes in a tapered version. It comes stock at 150mm, but can be lowered to 140 or 130 with the included spacers. Just sayin....

Hey you work at treefort don't you? If you tell me what part number I need I'll buy it and a Sektor from you...

Anal Beads Al-Qaeda Ball Gag NAMBLA

Tue, 01/31/2012 - 15:49
johnnyraja
johnnyraja's picture

believe it is curiousincident who works at treefort

miguelaron wrote:
obese and unamerican
is your name Fat Albert Queda by any chance?

euclid wrote:
If you never open packages or slice fruit, is life really worth living?

Tue, 01/31/2012 - 15:54
timberland boots
timberland boots's picture

Ah shiiet

Anal Beads Al-Qaeda Ball Gag NAMBLA

Tue, 01/31/2012 - 16:02
Russell
Russell's picture
(Reply to #117)

Ahahahahahahahahah

MoonCat wrote:
Americas turban

Tue, 01/31/2012 - 16:10
akasnowmaaan
akasnowmaaan's picture
(Reply to #118)

Mr. Bear wrote:
Local shop has the Ibis Mojo SL-R available for demo for the next week, calling them as soon as they open today to reserve one.

You will LOVE that bike. My Mojo was amazing. Best climbing bike I've ever ridden. Only reason I ditched it was I liked 29ers better.

Should have said it was just a cross check with different geometry. - Todd

Tue, 01/31/2012 - 16:13
motorbacon
motorbacon's picture

Can we stop talking about multi thousand dollar bikes. Making me all depressed with my cheapo shit.

Tue, 01/31/2012 - 16:38
josh
josh's picture
(Reply to #120)

motorbacon wrote:
Can we stop talking about multi thousand dollar bikes. Making me all depressed with my cheapo shit.

I'm riding a used, fully rigid Raleigh SS w/ shitty BB5s that I got cheap off craigslist. Ain't no shame in living on a budget.

Tue, 01/31/2012 - 16:48
Russell
Russell's picture

I'm riding a bd ss 29er with a rigid fork and xtr parralell push v's I salvaged off a bike in the dumpster. And I love it.

MoonCat wrote:
Americas turban

Tue, 01/31/2012 - 19:41
Sneaky Viking
Sneaky Viking's picture

put ya parallel push in my dumpsta kid?

ckd wrote:
I mean, seriously. We're just a bunch of washed up bicycle burnout dipshits.

Tue, 01/31/2012 - 20:03
that guy
that guy's picture
(Reply to #123)

oogenssssss wrote:
dumb MTB Q: been borrowing a kona satori, works great on descents but haven't had much time with it on climbing (since i've only borrowed it so far during bro shuttling). also tried a hei hei, which was great but i'm still too shitty at bike handling to feel comfortable on it in rocky stuff.

have two opinions pushing me towards satori land, another two are saying that i should go with a giant reign 2, opinions for that being better suspension linkage for climbing, feeling that companies in general are more dialed on their 26" geometry, and it's cheaper.

i'm 5'8" and ~160lbs, not that this terribly matters. maybe i just need to find a giant to steal from someone for a try

I've been riding a demo Satori and the double crank it comes with doesn't really suit it. Comes 39/26 but should be 36/22 or a 22/34/bash or something. Other than that I felt like it climbed pretty well with the ProPedal on.

Bikes suck. Don't ride one.

Tue, 01/31/2012 - 20:43
motorbacon
motorbacon's picture
(Reply to #124)

that guy wrote:
oogenssssss wrote:
dumb MTB Q: been borrowing a kona satori, works great on descents but haven't had much time with it on climbing (since i've only borrowed it so far during bro shuttling). also tried a hei hei, which was great but i'm still too shitty at bike handling to feel comfortable on it in rocky stuff.

have two opinions pushing me towards satori land, another two are saying that i should go with a giant reign 2, opinions for that being better suspension linkage for climbing, feeling that companies in general are more dialed on their 26" geometry, and it's cheaper.

i'm 5'8" and ~160lbs, not that this terribly matters. maybe i just need to find a giant to steal from someone for a try

I've been riding a demo Satori and the double crank it comes with doesn't really suit it. Comes 39/26 but should be 36/22 or a 22/34/bash or something. Other than that I felt like it climbed pretty well with the ProPedal on.

DUDE. How does a 26/39 with a 11-36 not work? You should be able to go up fucking walls when 26/36? HTFU.

Tue, 01/31/2012 - 20:53
deadforkinglast
deadforkinglast's picture

22x34 4 LYF.

Wed, 02/01/2012 - 04:48
jimmythefly
jimmythefly's picture

Not sure about him, but for me it's more about the 39 than the 26. I like a 34 or 36 big ring on my 29er double, because that seems to keep me in the fat range of the cassette more often, and 36-11 is plenty for a top end.

deadforkinglast wrote:
But honestly, I have no idea how I am going to follow through on that plan and I already have a pretty rad bike. I think I just like fucking with my bikes.

Wed, 02/01/2012 - 11:43
timberland boots
timberland boots's picture

Killin it on the short travel

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/237103/

Anal Beads Al-Qaeda Ball Gag NAMBLA

Wed, 02/01/2012 - 12:51
skregzilla
skregzilla's picture

This guy shreds gnar at a 90°+ angle.

Wed, 02/01/2012 - 14:49
timberland boots
timberland boots's picture

I get jealous of dudes with trails where getting thrown off the trail puts you in long grass instead of off a cliff like we got up here. Minor complaint though, our trails rule

Anal Beads Al-Qaeda Ball Gag NAMBLA

Wed, 02/01/2012 - 14:53
anomaly

Mojo HD 160

Fri, 02/03/2012 - 00:33
Face
Face's picture

totally agree about 26/39 on satori. for most trail riding it wants you to cross chain like a mofo or shift up front every 10 feet... totally thinking about going with the next size down on chainrings when the time comes for new ones or i get the funds together to pick up a chainguide/bashguard

Mr. Pubes wrote:
i fear that you are so lost in your own asshole that you may never be found again. do you have a flare gun? send for help.

Fri, 02/03/2012 - 00:54
oogens
oogens's picture

pedaled my old fisher tassajara around a bit. holy fuck never knew how terrible the manitou fork on it was. anybody have a 26" 100ish mm travel fork taking up space?

however, did make me think the reign might be my next bike.

Fri, 02/03/2012 - 01:31
deadforkinglast
deadforkinglast's picture
(Reply to #133)

Mr. Bear wrote:
Mojo HD 160

We might be getting Ibis soon...pretty stoked.

Fri, 02/03/2012 - 02:31
anomaly

YOU can order Ibis any day of the week, they have great industry buyer discounts. I am really excited to try out the SL-R tomorrow. Going to hit up a full lap of Tamo plus my typical Pine Mtn/San Geronimo Ridge DH sections. If the legs are feeling good then I'll climb back up and try to do my first sub 5 minute down Repack.

Also, I found some crazy trails that drop off Pine Mtn down into Cascade Canyon or onto BoFax Rd. True free ride stuff, long sections in stream beds, big drops, etc. LMK when you want to hit them up.

Fri, 02/03/2012 - 10:58
timberland boots
timberland boots's picture

Hoooly crap this rules hard

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/238118/

Except the song, but that's par for the course with MTB videos

Anal Beads Al-Qaeda Ball Gag NAMBLA

Fri, 02/03/2012 - 12:46
anomaly

Ibis Mojo SL-R review, based on 3 hours on one today.
The build:
Fox 150 TALAS fork
XT/XTR mix
Crank Brothers wheels
Formula RX brakes (front was dragging the entire ride, badly, and I couldn't get it squared away, was pretty annoying to be honest)
Specialized tires (Ground Control front, Purgatory rear).

Trails:
Tamarancho - All single track, biggest drop is a 2' optional hit, mix of baby heads, shale, roots and wonderful loamy redwood forest sections. There is also a brand new section with a couple good berms and 3 table tops which I hit several times
San Geronimo Ridge - STEEP fire road with rocks rocks rocks and more rocks. They range from tiny pebbles to several feet. Lots of opportunities to hit rocks and catch air, actually very fun as far as fire roads go.
"Other stuff" - http://www.pinkbike.com/video/233996/ the video is a bit deceiving, it averages -17% and continues for a good bit after the video cuts off, lots of rock drops in the 1-3' range, very rutted and very rooty (much more so now that we had 6" of rain in 24 hours 2 weeks ago), some man made jumps, I've never ridden it and not paid the blood price at some point. There was some other trails as well but I'll skip them as they are inconsequential.

Rider:
175lbs, pretty good technical skills, background in BMX, slow uphill, fast to very fast downhill. For the last 4 years I have been riding a Titus Racer X 29er. It was great for the riding that I did around Northern VA but I have found it a bit lacking for certain parts of NorCal riding. Out my door the riding can either be done on a hard tail or totally overwhelms the 100mm travel of the Titus, so it is a worst of both worlds kind of deal. On to the review...

Initial thought:
Fit and finish are good to great. I really like how the matte and blue look in person. Overall I am impressed.

Tamarancho:
The bike climbs great. MUCH better than the Titus. Very little out of the saddle bob even when in the easiest gear. The bike tracks so well with the fork at the 150 setting I don't bother changing it down at any point. I intentionally took shitty lines to try and find faults in the bike and it doesn't really work. There is one root section where I find the decreased tire size causes the front wheel to catch but with a slight adjustment of my riding style it doesn't happen again. Remember, I've been on the same 29er for the last 4 years so my riding style is adjusted to THAT bike. I hit the 2-3' optional drop with ease, it takes it MUCH better than the Titus does. Overall I am very impressed with how the bike handles Tamarancho. When I push the bike I am definitely moving faster both up and down than on the Titus.
Winner: Mojo

San Geronimo Ridge:
There is one very technical rock climb section where I again picked the crappiest lines and found that I definitely noticed the smaller wheels while riding through it. I've done the same with the Titus in the past and haven't noticed nearly as many issues. Lesson learned, find a better line in similar situations or get better at climbing in general.
Winner: Titus

"Other stuff"
I beat my PR down the trail. Now, to put that into perspective, it was within my first 10 miles on the bike, the suspension could've used a lot of adjustment to get it feeling like I want, the trail was in much worse shape than I have ever seen it AND I had a pretty decent off which slowed me down by 45 seconds or so. Going downhill the bike is beautiful. It suits my riding style and was exactly what I had hoped it would be. It took "stair step" style rock drops with ease, handled very steep sections, was comfortable through the tightest of turns and was all around awesome. I was and am very impressed by it.
Winner by a mile: Mojo

Overall Winner: Mojo, by a ton

I still want to demo a few other bikes, including longer travel 29ers but I kind of doubt I'll find something I like more. If I do then all the better. There are some drawbacks to the smaller wheel but the benefits for the terrain I ride are very noticeable. Maybe someone will come out with a 140 travel, short chain stay, relatively slack geometry 29er but I doubt it will happen in the timeframe of when I need to switch bikes.

Sat, 02/04/2012 - 22:39
akasnowmaaan
akasnowmaaan's picture

I told you, didn't I?
Ibis is awesome sauce.
You're gonna love it.

Should have said it was just a cross check with different geometry. - Todd

Sun, 02/05/2012 - 01:02
Larry Winget
Larry Winget's picture

Nice. My Zion build is coming along. Hoping to have it rideable in a month or two.

The Pitbull of Personal Development®

Sun, 02/05/2012 - 01:11
anomaly

Project replace Titus has begun. Found a guy willing to sell his NIB Marzzochi Micro Ti 44 29er tapered fork for the $289 he got it off Chainlove. I'm now going to pickup the Chinese carbon frame with the shortest chainstays and the slackets HTA. I think the HongFu FM056 has 17" stays and a 69 HTA with a 120 fork which should make it perfect for Tamarancho and general Marin riding. Then once money allows, or team deal comes through, I'll get a longer travel bike.

Sun, 02/05/2012 - 10:03
anomaly

So, anyone want to buy a 2008 Titus Racer X29er frame, 2009 Fox f29 100 travel QR fork and CK headset (like 10 rides on it)? If it isn't clear from my review the Titus is actually a great bike I am just riding stuff that is either too easy for it or too hard for it. If I still lived in an area where flowy XC was the name of the game then I would be on it.

Sun, 02/05/2012 - 10:07
Petr5
Petr5's picture

Size?

Sneaky Viking wrote:
"Your bike sucks and we have a team of biased experts to pseudo-scientifically test that hypothesis, all in blue shirts."

Sun, 02/05/2012 - 10:21
motorbacon
motorbacon's picture

sellingn fork separately? steerer length?

Sun, 02/05/2012 - 10:40
DDYTDY
DDYTDY's picture

"NIB Marzzochi Micro Ti 44 "

My brand new Micro Ti 44 had aluminium chips in the oil, found when I took it apart to change the travel. Not little fine chips, big chips not cleaned out after drilling cross holes in that rod thingy....

The fork has giving no problems since but this might have been different if I didn't have to change it right away,

Sun, 02/05/2012 - 12:53
anomaly
(Reply to #144)

Petr5 wrote:
Size?

Large

Tue, 02/07/2012 - 18:40
anomaly
(Reply to #145)

motorbacon wrote:
sellingn fork separately? steerer length?

I'm going to try to sell it complete for the time being. If, in a week or two, I can't sell it that way then I will break it down.

Tue, 02/07/2012 - 18:41
anomaly
(Reply to #146)

DDYTDY wrote:
"NIB Marzzochi Micro Ti 44 "

My brand new Micro Ti 44 had aluminium chips in the oil, found when I took it apart to change the travel. Not little fine chips, big chips not cleaned out after drilling cross holes in that rod thingy....

The fork has giving no problems since but this might have been different if I didn't have to change it right away,

Good to know. I'll give it a quick service before using it. Talk about deal of the year though.

Tue, 02/07/2012 - 18:42
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture
(Reply to #147)

Mr. Bear wrote:
Project replace Titus has begun. Found a guy willing to sell his NIB Marzzochi Micro Ti 44 29er tapered fork for the $289 he got it off Chainlove. I'm now going to pickup the Chinese carbon frame with the shortest chainstays and the slackets HTA. I think the HongFu FM056 has 17" stays and a 69 HTA with a 120 fork

So turned on by this

Be sure to get it in a unidirectional weave finish, matte would be awesome too but that's a little harder to get.

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Tue, 02/07/2012 - 19:41
curiousincident
curiousincident's picture

i can't remember where the articles about it were posted, but what's the word on these 650b trail bikes? could be relevant to mr. bear's situation.

Tue, 02/07/2012 - 21:10
timberland boots
timberland boots's picture

There's a few 650B mountain bikes out there. Not so great for tire and wheel selection but people like them. It's just another option, I don't think the wheel size debate comes down to much more than opinion

Anal Beads Al-Qaeda Ball Gag NAMBLA

Tue, 02/07/2012 - 21:43
anomaly
(Reply to #150)

Buffalo Bill wrote:
Mr. Bear wrote:
Project replace Titus has begun. Found a guy willing to sell his NIB Marzzochi Micro Ti 44 29er tapered fork for the $289 he got it off Chainlove. I'm now going to pickup the Chinese carbon frame with the shortest chainstays and the slackets HTA. I think the HongFu FM056 has 17" stays and a 69 HTA with a 120 fork

So turned on by this

Be sure to get it in a unidirectional weave finish, matte would be awesome too but that's a little harder to get.

UD Matte is the only way. That said I find out this week what team cost is on a couple crabon mtb options so I might get a name brand hardtail for the same price as the Hong Fu...

Tue, 02/07/2012 - 22:23

Pages