All things MTB

10115 posts / 0 new
Last post
Face
Face's picture

I had no idea there were upgraded uppers.

Mr. Pubes wrote:
i fear that you are so lost in your own asshole that you may never be found again. do you have a flare gun? send for help.

Mon, 09/04/2017 - 02:42
motorbacon
motorbacon's picture

It's all about the Kashima brooo

Mon, 09/04/2017 - 03:18
Face
Face's picture

Yea, and that scratched one already is.

Mr. Pubes wrote:
i fear that you are so lost in your own asshole that you may never be found again. do you have a flare gun? send for help.

Mon, 09/04/2017 - 03:49
Whippin Skidz
Whippin Skidz's picture

DQ but can't you polish/buff/seal that and keep it alive (after replacing seals, of course)?

Tue, 09/05/2017 - 16:43
circuithero
circuithero's picture

Has anyone serviced any of the new rockshox stuff? I'm having a hard time finding a good deal on a full squish with Fox AND Shimano. I'm not really trying to build wheels just so I can swap over my XT and I don't really have a need for a 10t cog or a stamped steel sram cassette. Thinking it might be worth it to wait until I can get a Fox for a Shimano bike. I just really hate servicing rockshox.

Wed, 09/06/2017 - 00:03
motorbacon
motorbacon's picture

Rockshox is simpler than Fox. Wait. Fox copied RockShox because engineer swap.

Both dead simple to service. What's your definition of 'hard to service'?

Wed, 09/06/2017 - 00:53
motorbacon
motorbacon's picture
(Reply to #9707)
[quote=Whippin Skidz]DQ but can't you polish/buff/seal that and keep it alive (after replacing seals, of course)?[/quote] It's through the Kashima coating and low in the stancion. Buh bye seals and bushings.
Wed, 09/06/2017 - 00:55
circuithero
circuithero's picture

I've just always found Fox more forgiving with the amount of parts from the pack that I need to use (just wipers and fluid.) The amount of o-seals that I feel I need to replace on a rockshox vs. Fox freaks me out. I haven't rebuilt one in a couple of years so maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm just a fanboy talking myself out of certain bikes.

Wed, 09/06/2017 - 01:04
motorbacon
motorbacon's picture

You can choose to do only the wiper seals, foam rings and oil on a RS product, but they include all the other seals because it only takes 30 minutes more to calmly do the air shaft.

You can literally rebuild the air side of a RS fork with hardware store o rings if something fails.

Wed, 09/06/2017 - 01:15
circuithero
circuithero's picture

Welp. Time to consider not going Kashima. Thanks.

Wed, 09/06/2017 - 01:33
oogens
oogens's picture
(Reply to #9711)

motorbacon wrote:
Whippin Skidz wrote:
DQ but can't you polish/buff/seal that and keep it alive (after replacing seals, of course)?

It's through the Kashima coating and low in the stancion. Buh bye seals and bushings.

i figured if there's no burr there and it's just the coating, it's probably nbd (though i guess deep enough it can let dust and such inside)

I'm a bit of a yolorider though, but most of the damage is to the resale value atmo

Wed, 09/06/2017 - 03:06
Viggen
Viggen's picture

Like oogens said, if it's not that bad try to buff it out to the best of your/a shops capability and ride it into the ground.
Or maybe look into contacting Fox and see if they can hook you up/if they want to play nice.
Third option would be to replace the fork with something of the like, how does the rest of the bike look like/build? Is it a 36 Factory in 160mm lengthway?

I listed these a while back for good, functional but not hella $$$ and they are all great value and definitely cheaper that a 36 Factory. Might even be cheaper than new uppers? X-Fusion Sweep RC HLR, Manitou Mattoc Pro 2 or the Suntour Auron, Durolux or the RS Yari/Lyrik depending of how rad you'd like to get.

Whippin Skidz wrote:
This is tarck, there is a complicated solution to everything and we will endlessly discuss until an agreed upon solution has been tabled. This is out of your hands now.

Wed, 09/06/2017 - 11:56
bluntastic
bluntastic's picture

Along the buffing route is to try is a couple coats of clear nail polish and let dry overnight, then sand with a some really fine sand paper (>=500). My shop did that on a kashima fork recently with good results, couldn't even feel the scratch.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
dude would probably blow it on 2oz grown by James Franco or some shit

Wed, 09/06/2017 - 13:20
oogens
oogens's picture

i mean, being just a coating (rather than anodizing), carefully filling it in should minimize further damage or issue (I think). Hell, maybe you can find a nail polish in kashima color.

and since it's a thin coating, just be careful with the sanding

Wed, 09/06/2017 - 13:36
Viggen
Viggen's picture

Crosspoast from OT/Travel thread:
So I'm thinking about packing my tent up, stuffing some clothes/utensils in a backpack and renting/loaning a evoc flight bag for my enduro and hopping on a flight to Graz in Austria. To Petzen to ride my bike for a weekend be more exact. They have Europe's longest flowtrai of 11.5km of perfectly man made berms and some rather rowdy single track. They are to be a stop on next years EWS-tour. I'd have to dip a toe into my savings but I haven't been outside Sweden for a couple of years and haven't really traveled on my own for at least 7 years.

Talk me into/out of this?

For your viewing pleasure:


Whippin Skidz wrote:
This is tarck, there is a complicated solution to everything and we will endlessly discuss until an agreed upon solution has been tabled. This is out of your hands now.

Wed, 09/06/2017 - 20:25
jamey
jamey's picture

Yeah, I'm just going to bring it to a shop and have them fill it and sand it. I probably did some considerable damage to the seals on Monday when I rode Kenosha Pass, though.

truckdoug "never turn down free beer, dont stick your dick where you wouldnt put your face, and always ride shimano"

Wed, 09/06/2017 - 22:34
bluntastic
bluntastic's picture

Also FWIW we found some clear nail polish that said extra hard or heavy duty or something to that effect, not sure if it is critical but the more you know

Sneaky Viking wrote:
dude would probably blow it on 2oz grown by James Franco or some shit

Wed, 09/06/2017 - 22:55
jamey
jamey's picture

Thanks for the tip.

Here's a photo of the happy side of the fork, on the top of Kenosha Pass.

truckdoug "never turn down free beer, dont stick your dick where you wouldnt put your face, and always ride shimano"

Wed, 09/06/2017 - 23:06
Viggen
Viggen's picture

This is some ninja jedi shit... On a FUCKING DH BIKE!!!

Whippin Skidz wrote:
This is tarck, there is a complicated solution to everything and we will endlessly discuss until an agreed upon solution has been tabled. This is out of your hands now.

Fri, 09/08/2017 - 12:47
jamey
jamey's picture

Fuckin' dirt jumps, man. Busted my elbow open at the bike park on Friday night and who knows how long the recovery will take.

truckdoug "never turn down free beer, dont stick your dick where you wouldnt put your face, and always ride shimano"

Sun, 09/10/2017 - 16:18
oogens
oogens's picture

no way, cut my elbow open last night at winter park. No stitches though, so meh

Sun, 09/10/2017 - 18:34
jamey
jamey's picture

Whhooaaaa. Left elbow?? I didn't get stitches either, but I probably should have. Oh well, too late now.

truckdoug "never turn down free beer, dont stick your dick where you wouldnt put your face, and always ride shimano"

Sun, 09/10/2017 - 19:03
deadforkinglast
deadforkinglast's picture

Just superglue it and call it good.

Sun, 09/10/2017 - 20:08
Viggen
Viggen's picture

Just in time of these news I found a pair of elbow guards that actually fit my spaghetti-sizeways arms.
Not as afraid of slaughtered elbows/forearms anymore..

Whippin Skidz wrote:
This is tarck, there is a complicated solution to everything and we will endlessly discuss until an agreed upon solution has been tabled. This is out of your hands now.

Sun, 09/10/2017 - 20:34
Sneaky Viking
Sneaky Viking's picture
(Reply to #9725)

deadforkinglast wrote:
Just superglue it and call it good.

If it's serious, use that surgical tape. That got me through after my stitches re-opened.

ckd wrote:
I mean, seriously. We're just a bunch of washed up bicycle burnout dipshits.

Sun, 09/10/2017 - 21:16
jamey
jamey's picture
(Reply to #9726)

jamey wrote:
Whhooaaaa. Left elbow?? I didn't get stitches either, but I probably should have. Oh well, too late now.

Just got home from urgent care, where they confirmed that I should've come in for stitches. There's deep debris that I didn't get to, and I now have an infection. If these antibiotics don't work, they'll have to slice me a little to remove it.

truckdoug "never turn down free beer, dont stick your dick where you wouldnt put your face, and always ride shimano"

Sun, 09/10/2017 - 21:34
aerobear
aerobear's picture

Damn, Jamey.

I have some of the dakine slayer elbow pads (in small sizeway). They arent a perfect fit on my salad arms, but my arms are especially salady, so probably work on skinny dude arms. THey work fine for me, i just have to pull them up periodically.

crowding wrote:
Every time i eat Dick's I just wind up disappointed that I'm not getting In-n-Out.

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 00:17
jamey
jamey's picture
(Reply to #9728)

aerobear wrote:
Damn, Jamey.

I have some of the dakine slayer elbow pads (in small sizeway). They arent a perfect fit on my salad arms, but my arms are especially salady, so probably work on skinny dude arms. THey work fine for me, i just have to pull them up periodically.

Those pads do look pretty ideal. I might pick up a pair for elbow and knee (I got my knee good, as well, but not nearly as bad) for when I return to the bike park. Actually, they'd come in handy in Moab, where I'm supposed to be in like 9 days, if I can recover quick enough.

truckdoug "never turn down free beer, dont stick your dick where you wouldnt put your face, and always ride shimano"

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 00:29
aerobear
aerobear's picture
(Reply to #9729)

jamey wrote:
aerobear wrote:
Damn, Jamey.

I have some of the dakine slayer elbow pads (in small sizeway). They arent a perfect fit on my salad arms, but my arms are especially salady, so probably work on skinny dude arms. THey work fine for me, i just have to pull them up periodically.

Those pads do look pretty ideal. I might pick up a pair for elbow and knee (I got my knee good, as well, but not nearly as bad) for when I return to the bike park. Actually, they'd come in handy in Moab, where I'm supposed to be in like 9 days, if I can recover quick enough.

They sell them at REI I think? At least the one in boulder does, which was pretty random.
There's a good chance your elbow will be ok by then, judging from my past experience. I ground the fuck out of my elbow a few years back (maybe you recall the huge scar on my left elbow) and it was super tender for a week, but after that it was totally fine unless something touched it and i just kept it covered. So i'd just keep it wrapped and try to slide an elbow pad over it in Moab... Just don't let nate try to touch it with his wiener or something

crowding wrote:
Every time i eat Dick's I just wind up disappointed that I'm not getting In-n-Out.

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 00:45
jamey
jamey's picture
(Reply to #9730)

aerobear wrote:
jamey wrote:
aerobear wrote:
Damn, Jamey.

I have some of the dakine slayer elbow pads (in small sizeway). They arent a perfect fit on my salad arms, but my arms are especially salady, so probably work on skinny dude arms. THey work fine for me, i just have to pull them up periodically.

Those pads do look pretty ideal. I might pick up a pair for elbow and knee (I got my knee good, as well, but not nearly as bad) for when I return to the bike park. Actually, they'd come in handy in Moab, where I'm supposed to be in like 9 days, if I can recover quick enough.

They sell them at REI I think? At least the one in boulder does, which was pretty random.
There's a good chance your elbow will be ok by then, judging from my past experience. I ground the fuck out of my elbow a few years back (maybe you recall the huge scar on my left elbow) and it was super tender for a week, but after that it was totally fine unless something touched it and i just kept it covered. So i'd just keep it wrapped and try to slide an elbow pad over it in Moab... Just don't let nate try to touch it with his wiener or something

That's going to be the most challenging part.

truckdoug "never turn down free beer, dont stick your dick where you wouldnt put your face, and always ride shimano"

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 00:49
deadforkinglast
deadforkinglast's picture

OK, all this talk has me thinking I need to get srs about getting some knee pads. Had a couple of close calls lately, but have been putting it off because it has been hot out. What are the tarck-approved knee protectors that are bearable in the heat and also provide adequate protection for trail riding?

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 02:33
Viggen
Viggen's picture

I use the IXS Flow for knees, they are good and keep in place while not fucking with motion of range/pedaling. Top tested to spread impact really really well last year out of "all" the big D3O/soft knee guards in light-weight category in enduro-mag. That test is a serious "ze germanz" thing and well worth a read. Also not über-hot to wear.
Elbows get the Scott soldier II, stays the fuck in place/doesn't wander around your arm and are well ventilated.

Whippin Skidz wrote:
This is tarck, there is a complicated solution to everything and we will endlessly discuss until an agreed upon solution has been tabled. This is out of your hands now.

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 08:12
Face
Face's picture

I need to get into more protection than just a helmet...

Mr. Pubes wrote:
i fear that you are so lost in your own asshole that you may never be found again. do you have a flare gun? send for help.

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 10:07
yummygooey

How high does the IXS Flow go? I want something that'll stay high and tight up my leg cuz I wear short shorts for MTB and don't want my gap showing.

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 10:52
liquify
liquify's picture

I tried specialized atlas knee pads. They stay up because upper part of fabric is long (sometimes under bibs/liners). Downside is they started to rub my tibia raw just below the knee because of a poorly placed seam. Like, both legs.
Now have the g-form, and they work. Smaller form and fabric, but on my pair, the top seam unraveled after first wash. Sup's pair is totally fine. I have just been lazy about warranty/replacement. Kinda need to consider some elbow pads for park stuff, too. and maybe beefier knee pads if we hit up the parks at this rate. Downside is shop doesn't stock much to try on (plenty of the Spec Atlas pads, but thats it).

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 10:58
aerobear
aerobear's picture

My raceface d3o pads have finally developed some kind of rough spot right under the knee on my shin that rubs a spot on my leg raw and hurts like hell afterwards.
I should probably get some new knee pads anyway. The strpa has always been too tight and now they smell like feet anytime I sweat on them. Ive tried hand washing with laundry soap, says not to machine wash.. not killing ze germs though.

IXS knee pads look intriguing.. looks like qbp is carrying, but pretty much everyone out of stock in that model?

crowding wrote:
Every time i eat Dick's I just wind up disappointed that I'm not getting In-n-Out.

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 15:27
jeffro
jeffro's picture
(Reply to #9737)

aerobear wrote:
My raceface d3o pads have finally developed some kind of rough spot right under the knee on my shin that rubs a spot on my leg raw and hurts like hell afterwards.
I should probably get some new knee pads anyway. The strpa has always been too tight and now they smell like feet anytime I sweat on them. Ive tried hand washing with laundry soap, says not to machine wash.. not killing ze germs though.

IXS knee pads look intriguing.. looks like qbp is carrying, but pretty much everyone out of stock in that model?

Can you turn your pads inside out and leave them outside on a few sunny days, let the UV kill the funk?

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 16:16
Viggen
Viggen's picture

I have thrown my IXS Flow's in the washer numerous times and all seams holding up fine. Crashed on them plenty of times as well, doesn't look like that and no funky gunk has grown on them. A+

Can throw them on with a pair of shorts and take a model pic for you tomorrow Yummy, they stay put on my thighs at least. If you like to sport short-shorts/daisy dukes they are not gonna cut it and probably no knee guard will..

Face wrote:
I need to get into more protection than just a helmet...

Yes you do.

Whippin Skidz wrote:
This is tarck, there is a complicated solution to everything and we will endlessly discuss until an agreed upon solution has been tabled. This is out of your hands now.

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 18:44
Todd
Todd's picture

guys,
just ride better.
yeesh.

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 19:00
liquify
liquify's picture

lol^ outside of crashing on gravel fire road and fucking up elbow ala jamey, damn specialized seams have done more damage.
But pads are for racing (pushing shit) or bike park (getting pushed a bit).

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 21:51
jawn doe
jawn doe's picture

or for when you already had one knee surgery and have early arthritis. but i still don't usually wear them though.

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 22:01
aerobear
aerobear's picture
(Reply to #9742)

Viggen wrote:
I have thrown my IXS Flow's in the washer numerous times and all seams holding up fine. Crashed on them plenty of times as well, doesn't look like that and no funky gunk has grown on them. A+

Can throw them on with a pair of shorts and take a model pic for you tomorrow Yummy, they stay put on my thighs at least. If you like to sport short-shorts/daisy dukes they are not gonna cut it and probably no knee guard will..

Face wrote:
I need to get into more protection than just a helmet...

Yes you do.

i've had my raceface pads since early '15, so a solid 2 1/2 years. they just got the funk this year after sitting sweaty in my bag, so they did pretty good on occasional handwashing for a long time. i do sun dry them after i wash them, but the slight odor seems to come back now once they get sweaty again.

with knee pads, you either learn to be ok with the thigh gap or embrace the enduro look and wear long shorts. i have to buy shorts at least 13" inseam to not have a gap due to my long femurs and that is tough to find when i'm a women's size small in most brands.

crowding wrote:
Every time i eat Dick's I just wind up disappointed that I'm not getting In-n-Out.

Mon, 09/11/2017 - 22:34
Viggen
Viggen's picture
(Reply to #9743)

I hear you need to get more rad way above your skill level ;)

Todd wrote:
guys,
just ride better.
yeesh.

Whippin Skidz wrote:
This is tarck, there is a complicated solution to everything and we will endlessly discuss until an agreed upon solution has been tabled. This is out of your hands now.

Tue, 09/12/2017 - 09:22
oogens
oogens's picture

Kona released updated processes, which is neat I guess (finally have a carbon bike, but they've killed off the shorter travel bikes and are only doing 150mm travel now)

The more interesting news is that they have the old aluminum models now on the cheap ($2100 for the 134, $2200 for the 153. I think I paid $1950 for my EP 3 years ago). Still a fantastically capable bike.
http://www.konaworld.com/process_153_se.cfm
http://www.konaworld.com/process_134_se.cfm

Tue, 09/12/2017 - 13:09
liquify
liquify's picture

mtbr forum dudes are flipping out about the 111 getting squashed.
I guess kona is just hoping the hei heis take up the buyers/have probably been more popular anyway. I do see a lot of 153s at the enduros, and a friend has a 111.

Tue, 09/12/2017 - 16:38
oogens
oogens's picture

The guy that came up with all the good shit left I think (Mandell was product manager responsible for the honzo, entourage, operator, and process line).

current product manager likes cross bikes, fully rigid plus/fat bikes, and gravel. So now the rove is decked out with horizons and the process has become another trek remedy.

I get that the 111 and 134 were muddying the hei hei waters, but the mega-low standover on those bikes is a pretty key part of what made the short travel descender work in such a fun way I think. the heihei isn't really as appealing since there's plenty of other slack-ish trail bikes I can bust my knees and nuts on.

Also worry that with the increased anti-squat for pedaling in open shock, that now the pedal kickback is gonna suck. There have been multiple times going downhill on my process where I thought I dropped the chain because I wasn't getting my feet knocked around in braking bumps, it's fantastic. But I'm also not fooling myself into thinking a 6inch bike is made to pedal amazingly uphill and there's no shame in using a lockout switch

Tue, 09/12/2017 - 17:20
Face
Face's picture

Weird, my 6 inch bike pedals amazingly up hill with the rear shock in its only setting, wide open.

Mr. Pubes wrote:
i fear that you are so lost in your own asshole that you may never be found again. do you have a flare gun? send for help.

Tue, 09/12/2017 - 21:03
zach

hello friends, which 31.8 derper post should i buy for my anthem?

Tue, 09/12/2017 - 21:55
liquify
liquify's picture

Internal routing possible or external? My 2014 was external, and I haven't checked much on them since.
I'm one of the weirdos that hasn't had much issue with the Reverb outside of the slightly inconvenient plunger button that they now fixed with the 1x lever setup. (note these are available separately, along with wolf tooth version if you catch a deal on older model).
My specialized post also has been great if you don't mind a quick return, and perhaps could he had cheaper.

Tue, 09/12/2017 - 22:28
oogens
oogens's picture
(Reply to #9750)

Face wrote:
Weird, my 6 inch bike pedals amazingly up hill with the rear shock in its only setting, wide open.

Well, I've heard it can be difficult, I walk every incline atmo

Tue, 09/12/2017 - 22:54

Pages