spencer blog thread

15529 posts / 0 new
Last post
ryanoceros
ryanoceros's picture

TimLOKOed wrote:
Petrified cat lady went on another group ride. She's gonna be a roadie before we know it. Just as soon as she finds the ultimate answer to which is the better shifter: Campagnolo or Shimano.

She better not read this.

Fri, 06/10/2011 - 14:06
mr. fop
mr. fop's picture

she's doing it right imo. get a road spencer go clipless learn to spin and ditch the preconcieved riv shit.

Fri, 06/10/2011 - 14:31
Larry Winget
Larry Winget's picture

mr. trout wrote:
she's doing it right imo. get a road spencer go clipless learn to spin and ditch the preconcieved riv shit.

I wouldn't consider borrowing an expensive road spencer that doesn't fit right a part of "doing it right", but otherwise yep.

The Pitbull of Personal Development®

Fri, 06/10/2011 - 14:39
FIXIE STAR
FIXIE STAR's picture

ryanoceros wrote:
TimLOKOed wrote:
Petrified cat lady went on another group ride. She's gonna be a roadie before we know it. Just as soon as she finds the ultimate answer to which is the better shifter: Campagnolo or Shimano.

She better not read this.

Yeah cars and bicycles are totally comparable items on a case by case basis and the situations one utilizes either is the same.

Fri, 06/10/2011 - 15:07
Sneaky Viking
Sneaky Viking's picture

mr. trout wrote:
she's doing it right imo. get a road spencer go clipless learn to spin and ditch the preconcieved riv shit.

I like that this is coming from a riv owner!

but seriously, I think platform pedals are one of the worst things they advocate. and brifter hate. and threaded steerers. and fear of dick brake.

ckd wrote:
I mean, seriously. We're just a bunch of washed up bicycle burnout dipshits.

Fri, 06/10/2011 - 16:53
Rentable Faxmachine
Rentable Faxmachine's picture

Sneaky Viking wrote:
mr. trout wrote:
she's doing it right imo. get a road spencer go clipless learn to spin and ditch the preconcieved riv shit.

I like that this is coming from a riv owner!

but seriously, I think platform pedals are one of the worst things they advocate. and brifter hate. and threaded steerers. and fear of dick brake.

And lug worship. TIG welded frames with dog-leg forks are for commoners.

Fri, 06/10/2011 - 17:48
obnoxious child

Hey let's go take swedish film style pictures

Fri, 06/10/2011 - 18:49
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture

Threaded steerers ain't so bad, much better than the magnitude of threadless bonerage that would be needed otherwise for their market. Plus it lends a significant amount of believability to their whole 'classic look' thing.

I think it's good that someone is out there marketing platform pedals to these guys — just yesterday I peeled a fred off the pavement after he fell over clipped in right in front of me, on a spencer that definitely didn't need them. Let them graduate into clipless if they need it. I mean can you imagine how much extra angst the italicizer would be blogging about if she'd been doing her 'sporty' rides clipless? Obvs. now she should be replacing her Powergrips with Frogs or something, but that def. wasn't the case a few months ago.

Fear of dick brakes is unwarranted, but it really wouldn't fit with their style. I do very much appreciate that Rivendell intentionally specs their bikes for nice modern dual-pivots with well-placed bridges whenever possible instead of cantis.

The brifter hate is obnoxious, but they do promote bar-ends and thumbies most of the time. The real poison is their hate on indexing, if you look at the italicizer's writeup of her first group ride it's clear that she could not deal at all with the friction shifting. People aren't generally dumb enough to follow Grant and use freewheels, but then that makes using friction quite unfriendly with 8 or 9 speed cassettes.

The lug worship really needs to GTFO, Grant has been outright lying for years about lugs making frames more durable or easier to replace tubes in.

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Fri, 06/10/2011 - 20:02
aek
aek's picture

I keep telling my 60yo mother to switch to clipless for her 50 mile rides. She rides her clips and straps from 82.
Her old lady friends fall over all the time, I keep saying they must have mental problems.

doofo wrote:
tarck eats ur soul one lol at a time

Sat, 06/11/2011 - 03:14
pixieshatintruck
pixieshatintruck's picture

actually i had good results using 8 speed campy with friction DT shifters
it worked well

but i moved on to 10 spd now nad brifters

Sat, 06/11/2011 - 10:16
dumpsterlife
dumpsterlife's picture

wrote:
Since my write-up about the first ride, I've been warned by readers and acquaintances alike about how unsafe pacelines are, how ruthless the members of this particular cycling team supposedly are, and how there was no need to go to extremes - why not join a nice social group ride instead? I've even received links to videos of paceline crashes, just to make sure it sunk in what sort of danger I was exposing myself to.

...

At this point I am probably horrifying some of you again and making you wonder what on earth attracts me to this type of cycling. Honest answer: I don't know. But something definitely does.

Why can't this person just admit that this blog is 85% stealth brag and be done with it. She sounds like every marine I've ever met that's about to deploy in a week sitting in a bar talking to strangers about it.

Sat, 06/11/2011 - 10:53
mr. fop
mr. fop's picture

ryanoceros wrote:
Here's how I setup my Nitto Sobas (same shape as noodles):

Before wrapping with tape, I placed a ruler across the bottom of the drops and made sure the tips of the brake levers barely touched. Then, bars were rotated so that levers pointed almost straight down. Did a minor counter-clockwise bar rotation sometime in the past year to get it just right.

Maybe this will help the lady with the petrified cat above, too.

This is actually kind of an odd use/way to set up noodles from how i've always seen them. i'm sure it works for you but most people tend use them for a more upright position and not a go-fast spencer. i've always started off by getting the ramps level, as in put a level on the ramps and then tighten the bolt. if i'm confident about my stem length i'll position the hoods to get a straight angle at the wrist, usually putting the levers a little higher and creating a smooth transition from the ramps to hoods as can be seen with my custom painted Samuel Hillborne by Rivendell spencer Works here, or if that view is a little tricky check out my old cult classic Bridgestone RB-1 here.
If that's not helpful you can check out this surly.

I've always found setting the end of the lever level to the bottom of the bar to be more appropriate for classic bend bars like the Deda shallow bars I've had on my 7 eleven Hampsten here. with it's fine craftsmanship and lugwork. Those bars are up for sale if anyone wants them, I just recently picked up a Deda zero100 which i will be installing with a Thomson x2 stem. This will allow me to effectively raise my levers 2cm without sacrificing aesthetics and raising or flipping my stem and getting it just a little closer to looking like this Darkstar. I actually ended up switching out all of the contact points. I'll be sure to post it soon!

I was planning on taking the Hampsten out today for a few hours but I was for most of the night. I found myself digging gravel out of my girlfriends elbows and wrists yesterday after he took a spill on her Bianchi San Jose. She just moved to "hilly" Iowa City from the flat lands of Chicago. She's not used to hills, and I can admit to struggling with the hills when I first moved here as well. This photograph from my Android and I took it last night at 3 in the morning after we decided to celebrate 12 hours of showing no signs of concussion, and you can see where her teeth almost came through her lip. What a way to end the day with a nice Midwestern beer.

Sat, 06/11/2011 - 16:51
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture

TimLOKOed wrote:
Petrified cat lady went on another group ride. She's gonna be a roadie before we know it.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Sat, 06/11/2011 - 16:56
asterisk
asterisk's picture

Does Riv have books on intervals?

Sat, 06/11/2011 - 17:26
TimArchyLime
TimArchyLime's picture

mr. trout wrote:
ryanoceros wrote:
Here's how I setup my Nitto Sobas (same shape as noodles):

Before wrapping with tape, I placed a ruler across the bottom of the drops and made sure the tips of the brake levers barely touched. Then, bars were rotated so that levers pointed almost straight down. Did a minor counter-clockwise bar rotation sometime in the past year to get it just right.

Maybe this will help the lady with the petrified cat above, too.

This is actually kind of an odd use/way to set up noodles from how i've always seen them. i'm sure it works for you but most people tend use them for a more upright position and not a go-fast spencer. i've always started off by getting the ramps level, as in put a level on the ramps and then tighten the bolt. if i'm confident about my stem length i'll position the hoods to get a straight angle at the wrist, usually putting the levers a little higher and creating a smooth transition from the ramps to hoods as can be seen with my custom painted Samuel Hillborne by Rivendell spencer Works here, or if that view is a little tricky check out my old cult classic Bridgestone RB-1 here.
If that's not helpful you can check out this surly.

I've always found setting the end of the lever level to the bottom of the bar to be more appropriate for classic bend bars like the Deda shallow bars I've had on my 7 eleven Hampsten here. with it's fine craftsmanship and lugwork. Those bars are up for sale if anyone wants them, I just recently picked up a Deda zero100 which i will be installing with a Thomson x2 stem. This will allow me to effectively raise my levers 2cm without sacrificing aesthetics and raising or flipping my stem and getting it just a little closer to looking like this Darkstar. I actually ended up switching out all of the contact points. I'll be sure to post it soon!

I was planning on taking the Hampsten out today for a few hours but I was for most of the night. I found myself digging gravel out of my girlfriends elbows and wrists yesterday after he took a spill on her Bianchi San Jose. She just moved to "hilly" Iowa City from the flat lands of Chicago. She's not used to hills, and I can admit to struggling with the hills when I first moved here as well. This photograph from my Android and I took it last night at 3 in the morning after we decided to celebrate 12 hours of showing no signs of concussion, and you can see where her teeth almost came through her lip. What a way to end the day with a nice Midwestern beer.

Since no one on here seems to appreciate the carefully crafted, subtle long-post, I want to be the first to say "well done". I, for one, appreciate the epic hilarity contained within and fully understand the work entailed in creating such a piece.

Snarky Varking wrote:
Tarckbike- Where mile 11 means you're on a long ride.

Sat, 06/11/2011 - 23:38
johnnyraja
johnnyraja's picture

Kyle, I was going to do it, but I thought I'd save the honor for the king of the long-form satire post.

Takes me back to the Gospel of Tarckbear

miguelaron wrote:
obese and unamerican
is your name Fat Albert Queda by any chance?

euclid wrote:
If you never open packages or slice fruit, is life really worth living?

Sat, 06/11/2011 - 23:49
timberland boots
timberland boots's picture

Buffalo Bill wrote:
TimLOKOed wrote:
Petrified cat lady went on another group ride. She's gonna be a roadie before we know it.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Honestly, I may just be tired but I'm starting to shift from bemusement to contempt for this moron

Anal Beads Al-Qaeda Ball Gag NAMBLA

Sat, 06/11/2011 - 23:54
biek

itt: really bad noodle setups (i count 3 on this page, 2 from tarckers)

pappaheugwang wrote:
u mad bro?

Sun, 06/12/2011 - 00:12
jamey
jamey's picture

feel free to show us how your bikes are setup.

truckdoug "never turn down free beer, dont stick your dick where you wouldnt put your face, and always ride shimano"

Sun, 06/12/2011 - 00:03
littletinyfish
littletinyfish's picture

^ You used "girlfriend" instead of "co-habitant." Also Iowa City is hilly as fuck.

this was a big deal a hundred years ago when everything sucked balls ---match avatar

Sun, 06/12/2011 - 00:14
Larry Winget
Larry Winget's picture

Buffalo Bill wrote:
TimLOKOed wrote:
Petrified cat lady went on another group ride. She's gonna be a roadie before we know it.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

What's next, artisianal gels?

The Pitbull of Personal Development®

Sun, 06/12/2011 - 00:22
timberland boots
timberland boots's picture

I'm waiting for "this might not be news to people who've been riding on the open road for a long time, but I hadn't realized it would be more difficult to ride into the wind than riding with the wind at your back. I tried gearing down to make it easier but that just made me ride slower, so what does everyone else find works when they find themselves riding into the direction the wind is coming from?"

Anal Beads Al-Qaeda Ball Gag NAMBLA

Sun, 06/12/2011 - 00:32
Toast
Toast's picture

120 miles per week / 20 miles on a recovery day.

Sounds right.

Sun, 06/12/2011 - 00:47
anomaly

Bravo Mr. Trout, Bravo. Perchance do you know what bars are on the Darkstar?

Sun, 06/12/2011 - 01:50
mr. fop
mr. fop's picture

The enve road bars that my zero100s from ribble are the poor man's version of.

Sun, 06/12/2011 - 11:45
Sneaky Viking
Sneaky Viking's picture

what cranks on the birdgestone?

artisanal gels would make a fuckton of money

ckd wrote:
I mean, seriously. We're just a bunch of washed up bicycle burnout dipshits.

Sun, 06/12/2011 - 12:09
Russell
Russell's picture

Sneaky Viking wrote:
what cranks on the birdgestone?

artisanal gels would make a fuckton of money

lollin at the thought of duck comfit with wild pear preserves gelz

MoonCat wrote:
Americas turban

Sun, 06/12/2011 - 12:29
teepz
teepz's picture

From now on, every time I ride my spencer, I'm going to tell people I'm training to "become better uphill."

Sun, 06/12/2011 - 15:41
mr. fop
mr. fop's picture

the cranks on the rb-1 were centaur compacts. spencer was campy in front and shimano in back, just like gp would have wanted.

Sun, 06/12/2011 - 19:37
dougtruck
dougtruck's picture

Russell wrote:
Sneaky Viking wrote:
what cranks on the birdgestone?

artisanal gels would make a fuckton of money

lollin at the thought of duck comfit with wild pear preserves gelz

i know a guy working on this right now. still cant beat some raisins though atmo

Mon, 06/13/2011 - 00:18
coppi
coppi's picture

Buffalo Bill wrote:
TimLOKOed wrote:
Petrified cat lady went on another group ride. She's gonna be a roadie before we know it.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

dear lord, the comments are a goldmine.

Mon, 06/13/2011 - 12:26
Rentable Faxmachine
Rentable Faxmachine's picture

Wait, so riding hard is hard?

Next she'll be telling us that learning new things/techniques takes practice...

Mon, 06/13/2011 - 12:41
TimArchyLime
TimArchyLime's picture

I first tried dropbars in spring 2009. On a vintage spencer. I couldn't hold my hands on the drops because that was too scary. I couldn't hold my hands on the hoods, because there was no space there and no way to squeeze the brakes. I ended up holding the tops (MTB position, but with hands closer to the stem) and using the horrible "turkey levers." Not one of the spencer people I told about my troubles at the time explained to me the difference between vintage and modern drop bars and brake levers. I was just told "well, keep practicing and you'll become comfortable." I didn't, and eventually gave up. Have heard the same story from, oh, dozens of women at this point, whose spouses are into C&V and gave them bikes with old school handlebars and non-aero levers to ride.

And you know that if someone actually told her that modern brake levers would solve some of her problem, she'd have written a blog about how some spencer shop snob told her she needed to upgrade all her bikes and how they were just trying to rip her off. I'd also be willing to bet that whatever spencer she was riding was too big because she was afraid to have more than 6" of seatpost.

Snarky Varking wrote:
Tarckbike- Where mile 11 means you're on a long ride.

Mon, 06/13/2011 - 17:30
TimArchyLime
TimArchyLime's picture

Just noticed today's post: How to put your foot on the ground.

I was hoping for some genius insight into the topic, especially after I read that "the idea that your leg needs to be arrow-straight on the downstroke with the toe on the pedal and the heel raised, is not one that everyone subscribes to". I assume by "everyone", she meant "anyone". At least I hope so. She makes good points on the relaxed geometry and low bottom bracket though.

What makes he blog scary is that there is actually some good information in there that snags people's attention and makes them trust her. Then she starts throwing around unfounded spencer shop hate and outright misinformation and people eat it up. It only justifies their own misconceptions and, instead of working to educate themselves, they just dig further into their own misguided ideals.

Snarky Varking wrote:
Tarckbike- Where mile 11 means you're on a long ride.

Mon, 06/13/2011 - 17:42
Rentable Faxmachine
Rentable Faxmachine's picture

I would say that the ratio of good/bad info is pretty slim. Once again, pretty pictures and a gentle, reassuring style of writing lulls folks into trusting her.

Do any of her advertisers actually read what she's writing?

Mon, 06/13/2011 - 17:48
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

Advertisers don't care about content, just clickthroughs

"Folks want options!"

Mon, 06/13/2011 - 18:04
Larry Winget
Larry Winget's picture

TimLOKOed wrote:
It only justifies their own misconceptions and, instead of working to educate themselves, they just dig further into their own misguided ideals.

So... the internet in other words.

Also,

http://bikehugger.com/post/view/potential-fixie

The Pitbull of Personal Development®

Mon, 06/13/2011 - 19:10
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture

TimLOKOed wrote:
Just noticed today's post: How to put your foot on the ground.

In 3 weeks we can expect her to be spending hours practicing her trackstand in the doorway while looking in the mirror

eventually she will natty fab, if only to the co-habitant

maybe she'll even psych herself up to doing a women's training alleycat

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Mon, 06/13/2011 - 19:25
Orc
Orc's picture

Oh, lord, now that's a weblog that puts my teeth on edge. Lovelycycle is at least willing to experiment with bicycles until she finds what she likes (despite the anguished howling of her commenters), but everything on b*k*h*gg*r is written as if it has been passed through a marketing agency to maximize clickthroughs.

Mon, 06/13/2011 - 21:06
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture

That's because they're new media douchebags. Everything on the blog that's not self-promotion or pointless bullshit they witnessed is a press release pasted from email.

For fucks sake they started a 'zine' in 2006 that's 2/3rds advertising, with the same ads in every issue.

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Mon, 06/13/2011 - 20:03
TimArchyLime
TimArchyLime's picture

Orc wrote:

Oh, lord, now that's a weblog that puts my teeth on edge. Lovelycycle is at least willing to experiment with bicycles until she finds what she likes (despite the anguished howling of her commenters), but everything on b*k*h*gg*r is written as if it has been passed through a marketing agency to maximize clickthroughs.

That is some barely readable drivel. I scanned the first page and the only thing worth reading was a thing on the TB-14 rims he got. Talked about them for a few lines before going off on braking surface thickness like he somehow has enough personal experience to know how quickly all the rims from 4 different brands wear out.

I'm so fucking tired of people reading a bunch of other people's opinions and then spewing it out like they know its true from personal experience. Fucking internet.

Snarky Varking wrote:
Tarckbike- Where mile 11 means you're on a long ride.

Mon, 06/13/2011 - 22:43
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture

To be fair, that particular douchebag works as a full-time mechanic for Elliot Bay Bicycles (home of Davidson), and has probably personally seen quite a few brake tracks worn through from Seattle winters, and sold a lot of replacement rims to people.

He is a douchebag through and through, I mean he owns this without having done a single track race:

and a teeny tiny Giant:

and the fifth version of his custom travel jackassmobile, this time in Ti:


With his shop rat powers he could outdo deermatt with his pinky finger

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Tue, 06/14/2011 - 00:38
Larry Winget
Larry Winget's picture

Buffalo Bill wrote:
To be fair, that particular douchebag works as a full-time mechanic for Elliot Bay Bicycles (home of Davidson), and has probably personally seen quite a few brake tracks worn through from Seattle winters, and sold a lot of replacement rims to people.

He is a douchebag through and through, I mean he owns this without having done a single track race:

and a teeny tiny Giant:

and the fifth version of his custom travel jackassmobile, this time in Ti:


With his shop rat powers he could outdo deermatt with his pinky finger

I dunno. That guy has always been fairly nice to me in person. I don't generally read that blog because it's annoying and a little creepy as has already been mentioned.

I just thought the "potential fixie" thing was a good laugh.

Don't really care what that dude rides.

The Pitbull of Personal Development®

Tue, 06/14/2011 - 00:56
wickedwagon
wickedwagon's picture

tc: would rock the front sus fork version

jordanpattern wrote:
BRING ME THE BINDERS OF WOMEN!

Tue, 06/14/2011 - 00:56
biek

maybe he just has napoleon complex

pappaheugwang wrote:
u mad bro?

Tue, 06/14/2011 - 01:00
euflavine
euflavine's picture

Alec from VO just finished up the Shenandoah 1200k: http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/

Some "former US Cycling Team member" dropped some totally weird fit advice in the comments. I can totally see some critiques like this on a "I just finished my first century!" post, but the dude just finished a 1200k. Unless the post cited extreme discomfort or ergonomic issues his fit must be at the very least pretty good. The commenter cites deciding stem length by making sure you hide the front hub with the bars, and then using wooden soled shoes?!

Totally rad that they have a real live distance cyclist on their crew though. Maybe some real life testing will help them fine tune some of their products.

Tue, 06/14/2011 - 11:11
jimmythefly
jimmythefly's picture

wickedwagon wrote:
tc: would rock the front sus fork version

Not in the same league, but I had a Cannondale XS 800 for a while. It was a lot of fun and the fork lockout was handy. Just wish the chainstays were a touch wider so could fit fattier tires.

deadforkinglast wrote:
But honestly, I have no idea how I am going to follow through on that plan and I already have a pretty rad spencer. I think I just like fucking with my bikes.

Tue, 06/14/2011 - 13:22
aerobear
aerobear's picture

euflavine wrote:
Alec from VO just finished up the Shenandoah 1200k: http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/

Some "former US Cycling Team member" dropped some totally weird fit advice in the comments. I can totally see some critiques like this on a "I just finished my first century!" post, but the dude just finished a 1200k. Unless the post cited extreme discomfort or ergonomic issues his fit must be at the very least pretty good. The commenter cites deciding stem length by making sure you hide the front hub with the bars, and then using wooden soled shoes?!

Totally rad that they have a real live distance cyclist on their crew though. Maybe some real life testing will help them fine tune some of their products.

googled 'Ted Lewandowski' then 'Ted Lewandowski cycling'. the latter resulted in many commends on various blogs and news articles from this guy. all he does is complain about things. ugh he's such a negative nancy. the worst is one where he comments on a story about an older rider getting hit by a car and he insinuates the use of a blinking light is to blame for why the car hit him.

crowding wrote:
Every time i eat Dick's I just wind up disappointed that I'm not getting In-n-Out.

Tue, 06/14/2011 - 20:20
rauce
rauce's picture

Alec from VO was the guy I was e-mailing about my fender issues, seemed like a nice guy and sent me a new fender. After reading all the VO hate in this thread I was surprised that things worked out so well.

Tue, 06/14/2011 - 23:25
dougtruck
dougtruck's picture

i dated a girl with that last name
her vag got wet as fuck
like if you were bonin in a tshirt it would be wet up to your nipples

Tue, 06/14/2011 - 23:35

Pages