spencer blog thread

15529 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture

I feel like everyone on Tarck fundamentally recognizes the difference between e-cargo and e-recreational bikes in a way that we don't even bother to acknowledge.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Sun, 09/17/2017 - 15:27
ShartAttack
ShartAttack's picture

TC I'm losing the car I didn't drive in the divorce and while I'm probably fine with my current bikes and motos, I'm tempted to see if I could afford some sort of e-cargo spencer. I don't know if it was my ex or what but insuring our boring ass 12 year old Honda was still like $900 a year for insurance, so it would only take a few years to pay off relative to a car.

Former RAGBRAI enthusiast

Sun, 09/17/2017 - 18:36
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

Bullitt with e assist

"Folks want options!"

Sun, 09/17/2017 - 22:13
Andrew_Squirrel
Andrew_Squirrel's picture

I test rode this thing on Saturday and It felt fantastic. Good thing I don't have a garage or shed because I might be tempted. The price is also pretty absurd so that's good.

Todd brought up a good point about how often a full suspension cargo spencer needs to have its suspension rebuilt. I inquired if the suspension was proprietary since I know next to nothing about MTB suspension. My friend said that the rear was pretty standard but the 20" front doesn't have any overlap in the spencer industry. Apparently this brand is pretty huge in Europe and been around for a long time but shrug.emoji.

This winter I'm planning on upgrading my Cycletruck with a GRIN kit which should be a really fun project.

Mon, 09/18/2017 - 13:43
jamesacklin
jamesacklin's picture

I test-rode one of these and it totally owned. It's like a car, but you get wet.

Mon, 09/18/2017 - 15:59
ckd
ckd's picture
(Reply to #15106)

jamesacklin wrote:
It's like a car, but you get wet.

Five stars.

Spencer Raleigh, Medical Panini

Mon, 09/18/2017 - 16:28
emor
emor's picture
(Reply to #15107)

Andrew_Squirrel wrote:
I test rode this thing on Saturday and It felt fantastic. Good thing I don't have a garage or shed because I might be tempted. The price is also pretty absurd so that's good.

Todd brought up a good point about how often a full suspension cargo spencer needs to have its suspension rebuilt. I inquired if the suspension was proprietary since I know next to nothing about MTB suspension. My friend said that the rear was pretty standard but the 20" front doesn't have any overlap in the spencer industry. Apparently this brand is pretty huge in Europe and been around for a long time but shrug.emoji.

This winter I'm planning on upgrading my Cycletruck with a GRIN kit which should be a really fun project.

Suspension on an electric cargo bike

The three most expensive types of bikes to maintain, in one convenient package

"my main life goal is to have a dirtbag camper van with a bunch of bikes on it, go camping every vacation forever" -- me

Mon, 09/18/2017 - 17:38
Andrew_Squirrel
Andrew_Squirrel's picture

Seems like overkill but the comfort of the suspension was truly amazing, highly recommend trying it if you ever have the opportunity.
The spencer also had a pretty massive 2"+ font tire which was significantly wider than the other front loaders they had in stock.

Other weird feature I really like was the tilting steerer tube. Seems like it would be really flexible for people that share it with a partner.

Mon, 09/18/2017 - 17:41
oogens
oogens's picture

lol with all the advancement in suspension, kinda funny to see a piece of shit shock like that on something that isn't from walmart. On the plus side, there's no maintenance really on a shock like that since it's blown from the factory.

similarly, only suspension forks for 20" i can think of are for high-end kids bikes, don't know how well that would handle the extra weight from a cargo load. I'd assume there's no maintenance on the fork either since it's probably an undamped coil unit that is gonna ride around bottomed out all the time.

Tue, 09/19/2017 - 15:47
Shortpants
Shortpants's picture

I really don't see the point in that spencer.

Tue, 09/19/2017 - 16:40
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture

their original spencer design is this thing

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Tue, 09/19/2017 - 17:19
Andrew_Squirrel
Andrew_Squirrel's picture

And apparently their original product is these ear warmers that attach to your helmet straps:

Tue, 09/19/2017 - 18:17
chazzwazzer
chazzwazzer's picture

https://ritcheylogic.com/outback-carbon-break-away-frameset

TLDR: Ritchey makes a demontable U.P.

I want one in the same way that I want 3200 dollars in my pocket.

Tue, 09/19/2017 - 20:58
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

Wut

"Folks want options!"

Tue, 09/19/2017 - 21:25
hiimjoshimabike
hiimjoshimabike's picture

This is pretty neat. It's not written very well, but it's refreshing to see a spencer manufacturer acknowledge the true cost of carbon fiber:

https://www.polebicycles.com/why-arent-we-going-for-carbon-frames/

Just ride your fucking bike and don't be a dick about it.

Wed, 09/20/2017 - 08:35
iwillbe
iwillbe's picture

Oh, Interbike is starting today, let's see who's exhibiting new products:

yes, yes, this trade show is doing fine, rumors of its decline are much overstated

Wed, 09/20/2017 - 09:57
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture
(Reply to #15117)

hiimjoshimabike wrote:
This is pretty neat. It's not written very well, but it's refreshing to see a spencer manufacturer acknowledge the true cost of carbon fiber:

https://www.polebicycles.com/why-arent-we-going-for-carbon-frames/

they're bullshitting you with the sustainabilibro act, the waste stream volume is so trivial

I'd give good odds that they got screwed by their factory/agents and are rationalizing away the loss

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Wed, 09/20/2017 - 12:33
jamesacklin
jamesacklin's picture

100%. Good PR to "pivot" to sustainability, though. Sometimes companies grow a public conscience when it's convenient to do so

Wed, 09/20/2017 - 13:10
kmcdon
kmcdon's picture

http://surlybikes.com/blog/post/bikepack_against_the_machine

Oh dear, looks like LB and I are on the internet now.

Wed, 09/20/2017 - 13:31
jimmythefly
jimmythefly's picture

Did we talk about this at all?
It's good. Not sure what else to say, I am not in the industry and really appreciated this more in-depth look at things.

Article: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/we-went-to-taiwan-and-started-a-spencer-company.html

Video from article;

deadforkinglast wrote:
But honestly, I have no idea how I am going to follow through on that plan and I already have a pretty rad spencer. I think I just like fucking with my bikes.

Wed, 09/20/2017 - 13:44
eric_ssucks
eric_ssucks's picture

This! This is so much why guys like kogswell and radlawn end up with nothing, and endpoint is made in the U.S.

Wed, 09/20/2017 - 14:47
jamesacklin
jamesacklin's picture

That video was very informative and has successfully quelled any nascent desire to start a "spencer brand."

Wed, 09/20/2017 - 14:56
iwillbe
iwillbe's picture
(Reply to #15123)

jamesacklin wrote:
That video was very informative and has successfully quelled any nascent desire to start a "spencer brand."

The Slowtwitch series on Asian manufacturing from around 2002 did that for me. Unless you want to fly across the Pacific a whole lot with no guarantee that anyone's going to actually pay attention to you, it's almost certainly going to end poorly. Alternately, you can bake a bunch of admin, logistics, and warranty costs into your price, but then the bikes made by big brands are offering so much more for so much less that you're not going to get it off the ground.
For a while, I thought that there might be some value in a retail platform that connected people to different custom and small batch spencer brands, but I didn't see how it could actually make enough money - there's not a lot of growth potential unless everyone decides they don't want to buy a spencer from the shop down the street (or the one that google surfaces first).

Wed, 09/20/2017 - 15:36
Endpoint
Endpoint's picture
Wed, 09/20/2017 - 21:46
Goddamnit Gunther
Goddamnit Gunther's picture

Damn came here to post that. If tarck llc was a dealer we could get wholesale

Endpoint wrote:
turdly buttways

Wed, 09/20/2017 - 22:15
liquify
liquify's picture

So cyclo cult is just what happens when velo cult spins around in circles too much in order to shake out the demons(whoever they may be in this case)?

Wed, 09/20/2017 - 22:26
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture

What the fuck is even going on? Is CycloCult somehow related to Sky and VeloCult?

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Wed, 09/20/2017 - 22:33
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture

cyclocult is Jeremy K. Spencer

the 5 Foot Drops guy! https://groups.google.com/d/msg/650b/Zdo6cCAG3Wk/ZOJGZqgyPT4J

the name is left over from the years he spent before trying to copy Sky

then Sean Virnig 'hired' him and Evan Baird to help better run the company into the ground

looks like Jeremy must've been the one to run off with the merchandise

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Wed, 09/20/2017 - 23:45
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

Quote:
Hey, Fred

Thanks for assuming that I'm a chump who doesn't have a clue what he's doing or know where or what he's riding, etc. I wanted and needed an option for more suspension/float and more traction in gumbo-y mud, sand, etc., all problems encountered in... the PNW! Among other places this spencer goes. As for getting rad with "retentionless quill pedals," I ride MTB park-style singletrack, huck, etc., on this thing. Post Canyon, Hood River? Oregon and California and Washington nat'l forest trails, gravel and singletrack and muck and bushwhacking? Yes. Have taken it all over Marin County on trails where everybody else was on fully suspended carbon MTBs. Five-foot drops at speed on unstable terrain? Yep. All on this spencer.

"Folks want options!"

Wed, 09/20/2017 - 23:55
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture

Not just 5 foot drops
5 foot drops at speed

"Folks want options!"

Wed, 09/20/2017 - 23:56
chazzwazzer
chazzwazzer's picture

I’d buy one of those Ravn things at cost. What’s the spread on when that happens?

Thu, 09/21/2017 - 00:04
lukasz
lukasz's picture

never

Thu, 09/21/2017 - 00:26
jimmythefly
jimmythefly's picture

I've been wanting one of those babby Porteur racks, and I am flush with PayPal monies at the moment from selling off stuff before we move. Consumed.

deadforkinglast wrote:
But honestly, I have no idea how I am going to follow through on that plan and I already have a pretty rad spencer. I think I just like fucking with my bikes.

Thu, 09/21/2017 - 01:34
JUGE FREDD
JUGE FREDD's picture

let us know who the receipt comes from

and the return address on the package

It's a struggle, but you cut out his tongue, and his last words are "atmo atmo Atmo ATMO ATMOOOOOGORIHGGHRSHGGRLMGGMMGMgrrglegurglegrr....."
– akasnowmaaan

Thu, 09/21/2017 - 02:19
motorbacon
motorbacon's picture
(Reply to #15135)

eric_ssucks wrote:
, and endpoint is made in the U.S.

And even still, there are little things that need correcting, hence v1, v2, v3...but that is to be expected with ANY product. Companies which don't revise their product are destined to fail.

Thu, 09/21/2017 - 03:27
mander
mander's picture

On unstable terrain

Thu, 09/21/2017 - 03:28
hiimjoshimabike
hiimjoshimabike's picture
(Reply to #15137)

JUGE FREDD wrote:
hiimjoshimabike wrote:
This is pretty neat. It's not written very well, but it's refreshing to see a spencer manufacturer acknowledge the true cost of carbon fiber:

https://www.polebicycles.com/why-arent-we-going-for-carbon-frames/

they're bullshitting you with the sustainabilibro act, the waste stream volume is so trivial

I'd give good odds that they got screwed by their factory/agents and are rationalizing away the loss

Ouch, my idealism

Just ride your fucking bike and don't be a dick about it.

Thu, 09/21/2017 - 08:40
NOVELTYNAME
NOVELTYNAME's picture
(Reply to #15138)

mander wrote:
On unstable terrain

5 foot drops at speed tho

"Folks want options!"

Thu, 09/21/2017 - 10:14
jamesacklin
jamesacklin's picture

Damn, new signature

Thu, 09/21/2017 - 10:51
jdsmooth
jdsmooth's picture

ahem
i copped that for my sig ages ago

Five-foot drops at speed on unstable terrain? Yep.

Thu, 09/21/2017 - 10:56
eric_ssucks
eric_ssucks's picture

That should really be the default tarck sig, only with the 5' replaced with 5".

Thu, 09/21/2017 - 11:01
jamesacklin
jamesacklin's picture

Rescinded. Similar sense of humor

Thu, 09/21/2017 - 11:18
jimmythefly
jimmythefly's picture
(Reply to #15143)

JUGE FREDD wrote:
let us know who the receipt comes from

and the return address on the package

Paypal receipt email from Jeremy Spencer / WRITERTYPE LLC.

But the checkout system is flawed. It went OK through payment (through PayPal) and all that. But I was never charged shipping and never given any shipping options. I used their contact form. Jeremy responded, I was asked to PayPal an addl. amount for shipping to

.

Confirmed shipping is from Portland.

deadforkinglast wrote:
But honestly, I have no idea how I am going to follow through on that plan and I already have a pretty rad spencer. I think I just like fucking with my bikes.

Thu, 09/21/2017 - 12:14
emor
emor's picture

Rawland's professionalism is apparently infectious.

"my main life goal is to have a dirtbag camper van with a bunch of bikes on it, go camping every vacation forever" -- me

Thu, 09/21/2017 - 12:19
jamesacklin
jamesacklin's picture

Cursed product

Thu, 09/21/2017 - 12:58
Rentable Faxmachine
Rentable Faxmachine's picture

Interbike sucks even more than usual this year. One more day left and I've been tempted to rage quit multiple times. I did see smilin' Grant Petersen at one of the tire booths, and he was wearing a Rivendell cap with the top cut off (so it resembled a visor). Almost stopped to snap a pic, but got distracted by the prospect for free prosciutto at the Wilier booth. Did shake hands with Jeff Jones and ogled his new spencer/bars. The whole time we were talking I kept expecting to see Mr Pubes appear out of nowhere and start heckling.

Photos: https://www.instagram.com/gravelbikedotcom/

Thu, 09/21/2017 - 23:15
mander
mander's picture
(Reply to #15147)

Rentable Faxmachine wrote:
wearing a Rivendell cap with the top cut off (so it resembled a visor).

:grant: af

Fri, 09/22/2017 - 00:06
kmcdon
kmcdon's picture
(Reply to #15148)

Rentable Faxmachine wrote:
Interbike sucks even more than usual this year. One more day left and I've been tempted to rage quit multiple times. I did see smilin' Grant Petersen at one of the tire booths, and he was wearing a Rivendell cap with the top cut off (so it resembled a visor). Almost stopped to snap a pic, but got distracted by the prospect for free prosciutto at the Wilier booth. Did shake hands with Jeff Jones and ogled his new spencer/bars. The whole time we were talking I kept expecting to see Mr Pubes appear out of nowhere and start heckling.

Photos: https://www.instagram.com/gravelbikedotcom/

for all we know, you are pubes and just hiding it from all of us. (although I'm pretty sure that's not how things is be, I bet you saw him/she/whom'std a bunch of times and didn't even realize it.)

Fri, 09/22/2017 - 02:05
emor
emor's picture

It’s a :grant: world, we’re just trolling in it.

"my main life goal is to have a dirtbag camper van with a bunch of bikes on it, go camping every vacation forever" -- me

Fri, 09/22/2017 - 07:04
Shortpants
Shortpants's picture

I actually have a bag on display at interbike. One of the very first handlebar bags I made went with my friend to race the euro transcon and his spencer is on display at the sram/zipp booth.

Fri, 09/22/2017 - 13:44

Pages