Bike parts that exist but you wish didnt.

4693 posts / 0 new
Last post
zombie

waychel wrote:
GRHebard wrote:

Some of you guys hate just for the sake of hating. Hold Fast straps are better than MKS clips for riding in boots and bulky shoes. Not all of us ride around in size 7 slip-on Vans.

Hold Fast, slut.

Tue, 12/01/2009 - 19:40
robobear
robobear's picture

Tue, 12/01/2009 - 19:46
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture

surfimp wrote:

You know what my derailleur needs... a fucking servo motor babby, yeah!

This is actually the best thing ever and the biggest leap forward since Shimano introduced the STI lever. I love DI2, but will never be able to afford it.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Tue, 12/01/2009 - 20:01
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture

thehappyrobot wrote:
some t9 and a pick will usually "rebuild" any kind of shifter.

This is widely inaccurate in regards to a grip shifter - the pawls don't seize on these shifters like they do on others. Usually if it's broken, it's because the cheap plastic inside is cracked. It's also dubious advice regarding an STI or Ergo shifter. Flushing a trigger shifter with lube does work wonders, though.

Also, using T-9 is stupid because it's leaves a waxy film, and that's the last thing you want inside a shifter. Use WD40 or Tri-Flow.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Tue, 12/01/2009 - 20:12
zombie

Compressed air x a tiny bit of WD40 collabo got my STI levers purring.

Tue, 12/01/2009 - 20:11
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture

It certainly does work on occasion, but to say that some T9 is all you need to fix any broken shifter is frankly wrong.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Tue, 12/01/2009 - 20:13
zombie

Yeah, I don't think anyone here takes robot's advice seriously. Sounds like he spent the summer hanging out in the LBS drinking beer though, so that's at least an improvement over before.

Tue, 12/01/2009 - 20:16
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture

Fair enough.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Tue, 12/01/2009 - 20:22
bward1028

i hate the park tools chainwhip that comes in their mechanics tool kit, because it doubles as a box wrench FOR THE CASSETTE REMOVING TOOL! anyone else see the problem there?

Tue, 12/01/2009 - 20:23
robobear
robobear's picture

yeah...i didn't mean grip shifters....i shoulda clarified.
usually, a stuck or slow-return rapid fire or sti shifter is easily freed by spraying some t9 and using a pick to free the pawls.
but if a shifter is broken, it's broken.
and i'm not aware that t9 leaves a waxy residue.

Tue, 12/01/2009 - 20:51
wickedwagon
wickedwagon's picture

thehappyrobot wrote:
you've obviously never ridden one of those.

shudderbug?

jordanpattern wrote:
BRING ME THE BINDERS OF WOMEN!

Tue, 12/01/2009 - 22:54
bigmatt

SRAM's grip shift is shit. They are full of plastic and a most are a pain to replace the cable. You need to reposition your hands on the bars to actually shift through all of the gears. I have always hated these since I first started riding MTB back in the 90's. But, they are cheap and easy to replace if needed on your sweet hybrid/comfort bike. I know they make x9 and x0 level twist, but they shouldn't.

As for SRAM XX I have no problems with it. As mentioned before tons of cross racers are using 10 speed (I have 10 on my cross bike) without issues through tons more mud, dirt, sand, etc. than a normal XC bike would ever see. There is one thing I really like about the XX group, compact double MTB crankset. Most people don't need a 22t granny gear on a MTB, and a triple is still geared for a 26" bike. People riding 29ers end up with a slightly higher gear in everything with the bigger wheels. The 44t can be often kind of useless unless you road ride it to the trail. I wanted to get the XX crank to put on my rebuild of my 29er, but it was out of stock through QBP. So instead I got a FSA Afterburner double 40/27t crankset instead as it was instock and a lot cheaper. The 40/27 combo with my 9 speed XT 11-32 cass. should give me all the gearing I will ever need, more useful with the 29er wheels, and with much less front derailleur shifting.

And, in general everything fixed gear trick related is retarded. Oh, wow that is so cool you can do that on a fixed gear. Oh wait no it isn't just get a BMX bike and do way more cooler shit on it instead. /rant

Wed, 12/02/2009 - 00:57
surfcat
surfcat's picture

bonechilling wrote:
This is actually the best thing ever and the biggest leap forward since Shimano introduced the STI lever. I love DI2, but will never be able to afford it.

I absolutely respect your & others well-informed opinions on this and will let your impressions speak to the technological importance of this, but honestly, who in the fuck wants to have to charge their bike just so they can shift it? Seriously??

The last thing I need in my life is another fucking battery to charge/replace/whatever.

Quote:
the gearing is perfect for quick execration

Wed, 12/02/2009 - 01:32
Toast
Toast's picture

surfimp wrote:
who in the fuck wants to have to charge their bike just so they can shift it? Seriously??

racers.

Wed, 12/02/2009 - 11:53
teepz
teepz's picture

walrus wrote:
anomaly wrote:
Having ridden 11 speed Campy, it is fucking amazing. It blows SRAM/Shimano (sans Di2) out of the water.

i don't doubt that it works beautifully. i just think adding the 11th speed is masturbatory engineering/marketing.

i will probably never touch Di2 ever. I appreciate the innovation, i just prefer the feel of something mechanical that is well engineered and tuned.

this is all atmo. i don't mind either of them. in fact, i encourage stuff like this. but you probably won't be seeing them on my bikes. mostly because i'm poor.

sounds like neither actually fit the OP, then

Wed, 12/02/2009 - 20:03
teepz
teepz's picture

surfimp wrote:
bonechilling wrote:
This is actually the best thing ever and the biggest leap forward since Shimano introduced the STI lever. I love DI2, but will never be able to afford it.

I absolutely respect your & others well-informed opinions on this and will let your impressions speak to the technological importance of this, but honestly, who in the fuck wants to have to charge their bike just so they can shift it? Seriously??

The last thing I need in my life is another fucking battery to charge/replace/whatever.

that shit lasts like a 1000 miles. boo hoo.

Wed, 12/02/2009 - 20:06
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture

Yeah, I really don't see what the big deal is about plugging in a battery at night. You do it with your lights, you do it with your cell phone, video game controllers, etc. DI2 comes with a separate charger and the battery pops right off the bike and into the unit with ease. The benefit is perfect shifting, every time, without adjustment, and never worrying about trim adjustment on the FD. The benefit for time trialists and triathletes is even bigger, since they can now shift while climbing (possibly before, but unpleasant and potentially dangerous).

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Wed, 12/02/2009 - 20:15
GRHebard
GRHebard's picture

i want an electric fixie

tepr wrote:
that shit lasts like a 1000 miles. boo hoo.

i think i remember the shimano guys at interbike saying it was closer to 2k
which seems so reasonable

Wed, 12/02/2009 - 21:06
halbritt
halbritt's picture

bonechilling wrote:
Yeah, I really don't see what the big deal is about plugging in a battery at night. You do it with your lights, you do it with your cell phone, video game controllers, etc. DI2 comes with a separate charger and the battery pops right off the bike and into the unit with ease. The benefit is perfect shifting, every time, without adjustment, and never worrying about trim adjustment on the FD. The benefit for time trialists and triathletes is even bigger, since they can now shift while climbing (possibly before, but unpleasant and potentially dangerous).

To be clear, time trialists and triathletes can shift both from the base bars and the aero bars which is a pretty significant advantage. For some folks, DI2 is a big deal.

...shift like jesus making one set of footprints in the sand in your time of need

Wed, 12/02/2009 - 21:28
zombie

I want it, but of course it's the kind of thing where you let it develop for a few model years, to get the bugs out, before you drop the dough.

Wed, 12/02/2009 - 21:30
spaghetti
spaghetti's picture

so how does it work? radiowaves? i'm dumb, it is wireless right? if so how reliable is it in a pack of Di2 bikes?

Wed, 12/02/2009 - 21:37
curiousincident
curiousincident's picture

You know where derailer cables usually go? Replace with wires.

Wed, 12/02/2009 - 21:41
halbritt
halbritt's picture

PROMONARC wrote:
so how does it work? radiowaves? i'm dumb, it is wireless right? if so how reliable is it in a pack of Di2 bikes?

From the stories of the mechanics that used it during the 2009 race season, it's been very reliable. I read about one issue with non-standard chain rings that Shimano supposedly quickly fixed. Other than that, It's just been a whole lot of "wow, it's really very reliable".

...shift like jesus making one set of footprints in the sand in your time of need

Wed, 12/02/2009 - 21:43
aerobear
aerobear's picture

halbritt wrote:
PROMONARC wrote:
so how does it work? radiowaves? i'm dumb, it is wireless right? if so how reliable is it in a pack of Di2 bikes?

From the stories of the mechanics that used it during the 2009 race season, it's been very reliable. I read about one issue with non-standard chain rings that Shimano supposedly quickly fixed. Other than that, It's just been a whole lot of "wow, it's really very reliable".

brent's boss is sponsored by shimano.. raced a season of cross on DI2 .. said it worked really well.. they havent had any problems with it.

crowding wrote:
Every time i eat Dick's I just wind up disappointed that I'm not getting In-n-Out.

Wed, 12/02/2009 - 21:47
halbritt
halbritt's picture

Molly Cameron rode DI2 this season:

Um... Niels Albert. Apparently lots of people ride it in CX.

...shift like jesus making one set of footprints in the sand in your time of need

Wed, 12/02/2009 - 21:50
curiousincident
curiousincident's picture

Makes quite a bit of sense to use it for cross, really.

Wed, 12/02/2009 - 21:55
aerobear
aerobear's picture

halbritt wrote:
Molly Cameron rode DI2 this season:

Um... Niels Albert. Apparently lots of people ride it in CX.

See my post above you.

crowding wrote:
Every time i eat Dick's I just wind up disappointed that I'm not getting In-n-Out.

Wed, 12/02/2009 - 22:00
surfcat
surfcat's picture

bonechilling wrote:
Yeah, I really don't see what the big deal is about plugging in a battery at night. You do it with your lights, you do it with your cell phone, video game controllers, etc. DI2 comes with a separate charger and the battery pops right off the bike and into the unit with ease. The benefit is perfect shifting, every time, without adjustment, and never worrying about trim adjustment on the FD. The benefit for time trialists and triathletes is even bigger, since they can now shift while climbing (possibly before, but unpleasant and potentially dangerous).

I think I'm a retrogrouch in training? I specifically choose to put dynamo hubs on my bikes exactly so I never have to wonder about whether or not I remembered to charge the battery, or whether there's enough charge left to get me home from wherever. And trimming the front derailleur is really easy with my DT shifters hehe.

But anyways - that's beside the point, and you guys are totally right to point out the benefits for racers, who definitely need to be able to rely on accurate shifting every time.

Maybe if they make a dynamo-powered version, which charges an onboard battery that can power your shifters, lights and cyclocomputer. Then I'd be down smiley

Quote:
the gearing is perfect for quick execration

Wed, 12/02/2009 - 22:25
kevinwulf
kevinwulf's picture

surfimp wrote:

Maybe if they make a dynamo-powered version, which charges an onboard battery that can power your shifters, lights and cyclocomputer. Then I'd be down smiley

Pretty good idea, running it off a dynamo. It's not like you need to shift when stationary.

Wed, 12/02/2009 - 22:39
spaghetti
spaghetti's picture

how does it work though? there isn't an infinite amount of radio signals to give these dudes

Wed, 12/02/2009 - 22:42
RJ
RJ's picture

PROMONARC wrote:
how does it work though?

truckdoug wrote:
go fuck yourself, fun hating motherfucker

Wed, 12/02/2009 - 22:52
curiousincident
curiousincident's picture

PROMONARC wrote:
how does it work though? there isn't an infinite amount of radio signals to give these dudes

Didn't you read my post? There's no radio signals, just wires.

Wed, 12/02/2009 - 23:03
wickedwagon
wickedwagon's picture

my resistance to change is becoming apparant via di2 now that arguments against it have been dispelled. now my only problem with it is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

jordanpattern wrote:
BRING ME THE BINDERS OF WOMEN!

Wed, 12/02/2009 - 23:07
Larry Winget
Larry Winget's picture

curiousincident wrote:
PROMONARC wrote:
how does it work though? there isn't an infinite amount of radio signals to give these dudes

Didn't you read my post? There's no radio signals, just wires.

That's the next step though. The gigolo w/ the Game Boy starts shifting for your ass.

The Pitbull of Personal Development®

Wed, 12/02/2009 - 23:08
halbritt
halbritt's picture

tarckeemoon wrote:
curiousincident wrote:
PROMONARC wrote:
how does it work though? there isn't an infinite amount of radio signals to give these dudes

Didn't you read my post? There's no radio signals, just wires.

That's the next step though. The gigolo w/ the Game Boy starts shifting for your ass.

I laughed, audibly.

...shift like jesus making one set of footprints in the sand in your time of need

Wed, 12/02/2009 - 23:13
curiousincident
curiousincident's picture

halbritt wrote:
tarckeemoon wrote:
curiousincident wrote:
PROMONARC wrote:
how does it work though? there isn't an infinite amount of radio signals to give these dudes

Didn't you read my post? There's no radio signals, just wires.

That's the next step though. The gigolo w/ the Game Boy starts shifting for your ass.

I laughed, audibly.

Wed, 12/02/2009 - 23:31
dougtruck
dougtruck's picture

i kinda hate quill stems. honestly not a very good idea as it turns out.

Thu, 12/03/2009 - 02:20
teepz
teepz's picture

white folks wrote:
i kinda hate quill stems. honestly not a very good idea as it turns out.

good thing the world has moved on. im stoked to get over to a threadless set up, and i plan on avoiding threaded as much as humanly possible from now on. glad my quill stem has a removable face plate, though.

Thu, 12/03/2009 - 02:27
that guy
that guy's picture

worst bike accessory: message boards

Bikes suck. Don't ride one.

Thu, 12/03/2009 - 02:37
Matthew Trujillo

that guy wrote:
worst bike accessory: message boards

Thu, 12/03/2009 - 03:05
that guy
that guy's picture

Best and worst, I guess

Bikes suck. Don't ride one.

Fri, 12/04/2009 - 00:02
biek

hfy eazy-e

pappaheugwang wrote:
u mad bro?

Fri, 12/04/2009 - 00:20
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture

white folks wrote:
i kinda hate quill stems. honestly not a very good idea as it turns out.

The threadless system makes quill stems look like complicated Rube-Goldberg contraptions by comparison. Certainly a quill stem has a classic appeal that looks good on certain vintage bikes with traditional tubing, like keirin frames or what-have-you, but the fact that companies continue to sell bikes with quill stems to anyone other that Rivendell-loving retrogrouches boggles my mind.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Fri, 12/04/2009 - 10:11
halbritt
halbritt's picture

bonechilling wrote:
white folks wrote:
i kinda hate quill stems. honestly not a very good idea as it turns out.

The threadless system makes quill stems look like complicated Rube-Goldberg contraptions by comparison. Certainly a quill stem has a classic appeal that looks good on certain vintage bikes with traditional tubing, like keirin frames or what-have-you, but the fact that companies continue to sell bikes with quill stems to anyone other that Rivendell-loving retrogrouches boggles my mind.

I do like the fact that you can move a quill stem without affecting bearing preload.

...shift like jesus making one set of footprints in the sand in your time of need

Fri, 12/04/2009 - 15:02
Tail Hook Lengthener
Tail Hook Lengthener's picture

It's not as though preload is hard to adjust, though.

Sneaky Viking wrote:
when you look back at your life sometimes you see a set of hands on your keyboard and a set of paws, but sometimes there's only a set of paws and that's when Tarckbear was typing for you.

Fri, 12/04/2009 - 15:40
daedelus
daedelus's picture

Also, if you use some sort of clamping spacer (like a cable hanger), you don't affect preload when moving the stem.

totallynotsol wrote:
"free love feminist vegan bicyclist"

Fri, 12/04/2009 - 16:55
halbritt
halbritt's picture

True, but its' a minor hassle.

...shift like jesus making one set of footprints in the sand in your time of need

Fri, 12/04/2009 - 17:46
mander
mander's picture

Reviving this thread to complain about external bearing shimano cranks:

I bet they work great but man they're fugly!

Sat, 01/09/2010 - 21:27
Larry Winget
Larry Winget's picture

mander wrote:
Reviving this thread to complain about external bearing shimano cranks:

I bet they work great but man they're fugly!

They do work great.

Not sure why that one can't have normal chainring bolts though.

The Pitbull of Personal Development®

Sat, 01/09/2010 - 21:30
wickedwagon
wickedwagon's picture

agreed. last generation of dura ace/ultegra sl cranks were much more handsome.

jordanpattern wrote:
BRING ME THE BINDERS OF WOMEN!

Sat, 01/09/2010 - 21:36

Pages